xpro for B&W neg to B&W slide?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Athiril, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Commercial available Fomapan R100:

http://www.foma.cz/upload/foma/prilohy/F_pan_R_en.pdf

or the Rollei Super Pan 200 E.I. 125 in the standard Agfa Scala process. This film you can also be developing in above Foma reverse process. The chemicals are available under Fomapan R100 reverse developing kit.

3. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, not available in Australia, importing film from the U.S. generally starts at around $30 to $40 US depending where I order from.

Majority of kits and exotic and new films are simply not sold by any place in Australia.

I'm asking about cross-processing negs.

4. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well in that case you have to DIY. Note that Potassiumdichromate (bleach) is also a nasty stuff which is even not sold seperately in Europe (officially say it in that way). In that way the new Foma R100 developing kit is adapted since a few years.

Maybe the Foma chemicals are more succesfull. The Dichromate in their kit is replaced by PotassiumPermanganate.

In principle you can use each film based on clear polyester base. Foto Studio 13 in Stuttgart (Germany) is processing Scala (E.I. 200) , Rollei Pan 200 (E.I. 125) and Fomapan R100 (E.I. 100) on regular base.
    Maybe another option.

5. trotkiller

trotkiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Scala, Fomapan R100 etc are just that.... they are b&w negs that are reversed... they are designed with reversal in mind, but that being said any B&W film should be able to be reversed processed given the right testing/exposure/processing etc

6. trotkiller

trotkiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wrong.

Blanco Negro, here in Sydney, have FomaPan R100 and the reversal kits, as well as most of the other Foma gear.

7. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilford publishes directions for B&W reversal processing using potassium permanganate bleach here.

A send-out option not mentioned yet is dr5 labs. Their work is top notch and they are not cheap, but not exorbitantly expensive either. They are in the US, so shipping and exchange rates may not make using them a favorable option. Check them out here.

Almost any B&W film can be reversal processed. Some work better than others. Films with a strong tint to the base are probably not a good choice. It's not as big a deal as you might think. Even E6 films are negatives before the second developer.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2009
  8. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Potassium Dichromate is available from Vanbar, as well as practically every other chemical I could want. (apart from CD3 and CD4 =[)

I'll google for them, do they do online ordering and postage? As I live on the North Coast NSW, I can only get 120 film by mail order, and 35mm film in byron is very limited in choice, they dont have anything good, just rubbish mostly.

edit: just looked at their site - no prices or anything online, if they dont mail order they are no good to me being 1200km to the south, Brisbane is closer to me, but I still have to travel for a few hours minimum to get there, which is more costly than postage from the U.S. typically.

9. trotkiller

trotkiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, should have posted that in my post sorry. They have only recently started to bring in the film gear, there website really needs an update.

Try emailing chris at Blanconegro.com.au

Photo Reisel can get the stuff from Blanco as well so if blanco won't ship, I'm sure Photo Reisel will.

10. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks

The amount of google searches ive tried for finding places in Australia that sell film or chems is mind boggling with zero results.. the signal to noise ratio on google is really bad these days =[

11. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Athiril,
    sure you can.

I'd change the dichromate with the less nasty permanganate, halving its concentration (from what Ilford recommends).
    If you use the permanganate you shoud use metabisulfite for the clearing bath.