Yamato Pax M4/TAC Deluxe

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by lifted, Oct 10, 2011.

1. lifted

lifted Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, I may have broken my first rangefinder but I'm not giving up yet. Picked up two this weekend, hoping one of them works good? The shutter fires okay. The insides look clean. It has the little leather case.

Anyone have this camera? What do you think of it?

2. lifted

lifted Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few more questions!

Is there any way to clean the metal? It looks like it's worn from age. Anything I should put on it to keep it from getting worse or is that just how it goes?
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure how to use this viewfinder. I've never seen anything like it...It looks like there are awkward reflections in it and it's not fun to look through :sad: (you can't see the reflections in the photo, and the netting is my window screen)
    [​IMG]

Sorry for being so new to this. :pouty:

3. albada

albada Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    This is my first post to apug, so let's hope this works.
    I collect rangefinders, and shoot with them.
    And fix them.

You can clean gunk on the chrome by putting a small dab of toothpaste on a piece of paper towel, and rubbing hard. There's enough abrasive in toothpaste to do a good job of cleaning chrome, but not enough to damage it. Remove the residual toothpaste with a damp piece of paper towel.

You image through the viewfinder looks correct. I assume the mesh is something outside the camera. I see framelines, and the rangefinder-spot in the middle.

The four-element f/2.8 lens is decent, and should provide adequate sharpness for enlargements when stopped down to f/5.6 or smaller.
    Be careful about the pressure plate: People often slide the back of the camera too far down, causing the sprockets to scratch the pressure plate. Those pp scratches will scratch your film, so you'll want to buff out any scratches in the pp.

Mark Overton

4. Luc More

Luc More Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have one but the shutter seems to be jammed so I haven't be able to use it so far. Nice little camera though, much smaller than some other from same era.

5. Irvine_Short

Irvine_Short Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Pax Ruby. It's a beaut. Tiny and stylish. The lens is not bad, either.

6. Irvine_Short

Irvine_Short Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format