Yankee Instant Film Dryer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by David Brown, Oct 13, 2012.

1. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rather than hijack the Photo-flo thread, I thought I'd ask here. Anyone remember using Yankee Instant Film Dryer? It was mostly alcohol as I recall.

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dont recall that in particular, but my personal blend is LFN with 91% isopropyl alcohol. My film dries spot free in minutes.

3. nexus757

nexus757 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. nexus757

nexus757 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I never used the Yankee Instant Film Dryer, although I still have a pair of the obscure "Kleen-Dri" units which. interestingly. circulate air internally through a silica gel desiccant to dry film, thus eliminating exposure to dust. With photo-flo they typically dry a roll spot and dust free on the reel in 20 to 30 minutes. After about 15 or 20 rolls you put the desiccant cartridge in the oven to "recharge" it. You don't see them much anymore, but I've always thought they are rather clever: http://drmoss.ca/485099650_tp.jpg

5. boswald

boswald Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The liquid Yankee was mostly ethanol, with a little methanol as denaturant. Both Yankee and Century also had aerosol versions, for which the CDFM was the propellant.