Yashica D - stuck shutter

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by CamShaw74, Feb 15, 2017.

1. CamShaw74

CamShaw74 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I've gone and done it.

I bought a Yashica D and thought i'd be clever and test the shutter speeds with my trusty shutter speed tester, so I set the shutter speed, opened the back, cocked the shutter and tried to fire. Nope. Worked fine before.

So, I closed the back and shutter still won't fire. I guess it did not like being fired with the back open.
    Is it completely knackered or can it be repaired do you think?
    I would imagine it's going to be a similar problem to changing the shutter speed after cocking the shutter?
    Thank you for any assistance you can give!

2. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't think those have any idea whether the back is open or not. Do you have something soft and round like a rubber drain plug that you could press against the front of the taking lens to screw it off? If so, you could get access to the shutter blades and with some Q-tips clean them of the oil that is likely causing it to stick and not fire.

http://ratfactor.com/yashica-d-tlr-copal-mxv-shutter

3. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thats an excelent tutorial link. it covers everything a d very nicely n well organized.

4. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You didn't do anything wrong -- yur sort of like the lady on the Andrea Dorea who flipped a light switch at the precise instant that the Stockholm sliced into it. The ship was sinking but she ran around telling folks that she thought she must have accidentally hit a brake switch, or something.

50-year-old shutters do this at times. If the unscrewing of the front element and accessing the shutter don't work, a service is in thy future. Camera is worth it.

5. CamShaw74

CamShaw74 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fixcinator, Thank you so much for your helpful words and the link. I must admit, I raised an eyebrow when I read the article and thought I can't possibly do this, but after re-reading it over the last day or so I am more comfortable with the idea now so I will have a go. Thank you so much.

summicron1, Right! well, that's good to know! I though it was because I had opened the back as there is a (what looks like) a release plunger so the mechanism can detect when the back is open. I guess I was just unlucky and the camera has a sticky shutter. I'm glad you said that the camera is worth a service. I really do love it but have not shot it yet!! I also have a Yashica 44 and just wanted it's bigger brother with the much cheaper 120 film. Having said that, I will soon be having a go at cutting down some 120 to 127 size with a cigar cutter so I can load some FP4+ and Tri-X into the 44.

It's all good fun isn't it!

6. Randalcav

Randalcav Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I bought a beautiful Yashica A about 5 years ago. It had a new gray leatherette and cosmetically looked great. The shutter seemed broken...until today.
    Fixcinator mentioned the ratfactor link and I read buried in the comments about moving the old film spool from the bottom, back to the top sometimes fixes problems. I did this but my shutter still would not fire on any of the 4 shutter speeds. As a last resort it finally opened on B (bulb). I was able to open and close the f stops and finally it free'd up and is working on all shutter speeds and f stops. Thanks CamShaw 74 for giving me the inspiration to at least pull this back of the shelf and look at it. I'm going to finally take it out tomorrow and give it a go!

7. StanMac

StanMac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For Yashica service try Mark Hama (http://www.markhama.com/), who worked in the Yashica factory assembling Yashica TLRs.

He's CLA's several Yashica 35mm rangefinders for me and always did great work.