Yashica Electro 35

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by troutmask, Dec 1, 2006.

1. troutmask

troutmask Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I see that it says that this thread is broken down into forums for various cameras..unfortunatly I have not been able to find where they are!
    I have just aquired a Yashica Electro 35.For which I paid the grand total of £19.00! The camera is fully functioning and has some sort of battery convertor in it allowing it to ue modern batteries. I have run two lots of film through it (HP5 rated at80 ASA) withgood results. The lens is f1.7 and seems really sharp even fully opened. I am blown away by the quality I have got with this camera for the money. This is the first rangefinder I have used, so have to get used to how it focuses.
    I would be interested in any tips on using this really rather wonderful machine. Am I at risk of becoming a rangefinder fan and having to buy a Leica?

2. JACOB

JACOB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am now the owner of the yashica mg-1 My 1st rangefinder luv it I've been using it quite more than my 35s which I got a collection of I don't think the Leica bug got me yet plus the wife would skin me alive I am into street photos and this gem is nice and quiet good luck there

3. JACOB

JACOB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    back again

Try this site for more info on your camera www butkis .org or the Yashicaguy .com lots of info there

4. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  5. troutmask

troutmask Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks to bith of you. the photo of the camera on matt dentons page is worth visiting just for that! I have been shooting on this camera most of today ,sorry had to use my d**r for some shots as I was in a Police station security area (taking pictures offically honest) and they wanted to review the shots for any security lapse's! and I can't process and print that quick. It is great..I am now a big fan of rangefinders, sharp lens, acurate focus, fits in a pocket, tells me when I need a tripod, completly silent and only cost £19.00!

6. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These cameras are aperture priority and the user has no direct control over the shutter setting except for flash mode. Some people do not like this restriction and want more flexibility.

Where these cameras do stand out is for night time photography. Yashica advertised speeds down to 8 seconds although most people would say that long exposures were even better than this.

7. kyubi_fox

kyubi_fox Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I find my Yashica GSN produces best results with good film. The lens does not produce very colorful pictures so colorful film works best. I tried Fuji Reala for the first time and boy it's so good.
    I have a friend who's always skeptical about my GSN. I showed her the Reala pictures and she said the pictures better than digital! She said her face looks almost 3D in the photos, when with digital her face always looks round and fat.

8. CraigH

CraigH Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I must be the only person in the world that does not like the Yaschica GSN. I traded mine for a Petri 7s. The Petri is completly manual & the selemiun meter still works.

Craig

9. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never seen a Petri 7s with a working meter, but the older Petri Color F1.9 and F2.8 are a joy to handle. Lubricants can be a bit of an issue after half a century, unfortunately.

10. Wayne R. Scott

Wayne R. Scott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  11. CraigH

CraigH Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Peti meter is about a 1/2 stop off but close enough with b&w.

Craig

12. domeng

domeng Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

I'm trying to resurrect an old Yashica Electro 35 GTN. I have put in some home cut springs to adapt a 4LR44 battery and the battery check works. The over and under bulbs light up and seems appropriate enough. I have checked the "pad of death" and it seems intact. The only problem I have is that when I use the Bulb setting, the shutter stays open even if I release the shutter button.

Do you have any recommendations on fixing this camera DIY or should I just have the camera CLA'ed? The normal CLA rate here is about Php850 or $21.

13. jolefler

jolefler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suppose it depends on how much of an economic strain $21 is to you. Here in the States it is a really nice price for a CLA that will address more than the bulb setting issue. They may do seals & adapt the camera for use with alkaline cells instead of mercury at the same time.

If the shutter is not sticking at other speeds, it's easy enough to pop the top off to have a look at the upper linkage....you'll still need to do the other stuff yourself, too, though.

14. Steve Bellayr

Steve Bellayr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you need a hood & lens cap Hama makes a rectangle that works just fine. Cuts the flare. UV filters are no problem. Extremely sharp lens, truly. It is good at night and you can increase the shutter speed with the use of a unversal "shutter soft release." The main difference with the rangefinder to SLR is to keep the cap off...there is no reminder.

15. photobizzz

photobizzz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just purchased a Yashica 35 GSN for $42 including shipping, look at the condition! I got really lucky..

Attached Files: