Yashica Mat 124 - age determinition based on S/N

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Alexz, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Alexz

Alexz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi.
    I just won an auction for a CLAed (actually completely overhauled) Yashica Mat 124. The seller has provided its serial number. I'd like to be able to figure camera's age according to the S/N.
    Any hints how it can be figured ?

Thanks, Alex

2. David A. Belew

David A. Belew Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Alexz,
    If the camera is a 124 and not a 124 G, it would have been made in the early
    '70's at the latest.
    For more accurate information, I understand this repair shop owner used to work for Yashica/Zeiss. I haven't used them, but I have heard good things
    about them.
    http://www.markhama.com/

3. Alexz

Alexz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you David.
    As per my understanding, both 124G and non-G where produced concurrently, though dunno until which year. Yes, I'm aware about this guy, read about him in various Yashica Mat-related pages, I remember he was asked once similar question and his response was that it isn't that easy to figure camera's age according to their S/N due to the fact that there were periods when Yashicas have been manufactured outside of Japan (in Korea) and there might be a mess with S/Ns....or something like that.