Yashica Mat-124 sounds like a Jack in the Box when I advance

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Treymac, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Treymac

Treymac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys. I just got my Yashia Mat-124 out, haven't used it since February. I was playing with it a bit and heard a sound like a Jack in the Box 'tink-tink-tink' sound when I advance it. It advances and I'm pretty sure everything will work fine, but do you guys know what does this, and is it common? It's coming from the take up spool.

2. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They typically sound like Jack In The Boxes with the squeek squeek squeek tic tic tick sonds. Sometimes it;'s almost embarrasing but then the old timers come up n have plenty of stories about their TLR cameras when they were youngsters.

What bugs me, I do really enjoy it, is the almost inaudable zit the shutter makes when you fire it. It is such an unsecure sound after playing with monster cameras like the RB that remind you a piece of film has been burnt, like etchings in stone. Makes me feel like I never actually took a picture. zit, that's it.

enjoy it, don't ask anymore questions, just post pictures instead. You will have so much fun with that camera. :smile:

3. aroth87

aroth87 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine definitely sounds like a jack-in-the-box too. It takes wonderful pictures though, so I don't mind at all.

And I happen to love the petite 'click' of the shutter :smile:

Adam

4. fmajor

fmajor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree!!! The hardly audible release of the shutter absolutely belies how much work i've put into the photo. All i get for a reward is that little "snick". It's sounds so inadequate. The up-side is that for street photography it hardly gets noticed. I gotta do more street!!

I do get that uneasy, jack-in-the-box sound as i cock the shutter on my RB67 Pro-S, but it's followed by the enormous "swoosh/schlock" of the mirror - i believe that is much more gratifying.