Yashica Rangefinders...

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by NB23, Jul 19, 2012.

1. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is it just me or are the Yashica Rangefinder Cameras really sexy? They look so good. Every time I see one I want to hold it.

How do they handle? Any experiences out there?
    Reliable?

2. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, it's not just you, they are sexy as hell! My favorite (so far :tongue:) is the Lynx 5000, 45mm 1.8 lens, it's a fantastic low-light street shooter. Not that I've had a chance to do much street photography over the past couple years, but when I lived closer and spent a lot more time in the city it was my everyday carrier. I love how quiet they are (I guess as you'd expect from most manual rangefinders). I haven't been able to find a battery for mine for about 5 years, I haven't bothered since sunny16 and a good guess work well enough for what I use this camera for, but when the meter was working, I really loved the meter display on the top of the body, it meant I could shoot from the hip, AND know my exposures were spot on.

Sexy, sexy cameras. One day I'll find a 14E at the right price to add to the collection.

What do you have?

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is something about them. I have a Minister D and there is a nice looking MG-1 in a charity shop near me with a £19.50 price tag on it. I don't need it, but....

Steve.

4. eskyone

eskyone Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes

I have a Yashica 5000 and Electro Gsn. Both are fun, the 5000 is my favorite.

5. Chrismat

Chrismat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They're really great. I have all of the Lynxes, the 1000 might be my favorite. I do have an extra cla'd 5000 that I put up for sale last month. If you are interested, PM me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
  6. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a 1958/60 vintage Yashica 35 RF with the f1.7 (?) lens. £15 IIRC at a car boot sale a couple of years ago. Excellent condition, very quiet and a fine lens. The grease has gone a bit thick in the focussing thread, so focussing can be a time-consuming operation!

Steve - The foam arrived today. Very useful, thanks and much appreciated. Tacking a note on here in case you don't check for private postings (as I'm guilty of doing!)

Steve

7. eskyone

eskyone Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Electro

I've read many threads about each camera and having used them both, I favor the 5000 over the Electro. The 5000 just seems solid. As a result, I don't need the Electro and will be selling soon. Too many cameras to use isn't necessarily a good thing for me. Both cameras are well worth the cost < $30.00. - Sean

8. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I love my Lynx 5000e! I used to have an Electro 35 but I prefer manual settings. The Lynx set me back $25 and an hour of cleanup. I use my Yashica for street photography, it's just a great camera.

9. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Electro is my street photography camera, the one that lives under the seat of my car for those times when most people go, "Oh, I wish I had a camera!" I agree with you, there's nothing quite like these little things...

Mike

10. one90guy

one90guy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had the GSN, MG-1, but now down to a Lynx 5000e which is my favorite and a EE which is in need of a CLA. Never had one I didn't like.

11. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I highly recomend the Lynx 14E, I use this beauty all the time. With a f1.4 lens, this camera can do it all. Outdoor like a pro; indoor, load some 400, push to 800, shoot at 1.4....call it a day. It is a bit heavy but I like it...this camera is a tank, built well. Can work in all manual too, battery is just for the lightmeter, but you dont need to use it....
    http://www.cameraquest.com/yashlynx.htm

Found usually $100'ish or less on the bay (where I got mine, has worked perfect for a while).

Also, if the 14E isnt what you want, sure there are many others from Yashica, I once saw the below, a nice user review of the Yashica Electro...
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/05/06/is-the-yashica-electro-the-best-deal-in-rangefinder-photography-by-ricky-opaterny/

12. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Alla cameras are sexy: the young, the old, the tall, the small, the fat, the slim. I find it's easier to be sexy for a camera than for a woman.

13. SteveR

SteveR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...me too, it's started many arguments with my wife...

14. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Guys.

I'm a Leica user (MPs, M8, M9 and all) but every time I see a Yashica I'm like "Damn these Yashica look much better then Leicas".
    I'll definitely have to try one out...

15. SafetyBob

SafetyBob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, it is really nice and cheap to get into the Yashica world of these wonderful rangefinders. I started out with a Lynx 14e then followed that up with most of the rest of the models even though I don't have all of them listed. Wonderful cameras, you must get a couple. I believe all but one I have gotten off the Bay, but only because I hadn't found here or KEH.

Bob E.