Yashica T4 Super As The Only Travel Camera

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by CD55, Jul 11, 2011.

1. CD55

CD55 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be going overseas for 3 weeks soon and I was thinking of just bringing the Yashica instead of the usual SLR & lenses. I got the Yashica at a thrift store a month ago and after some test rolls I'll admit I'm impressed at its capabilities. I've brought point & shoot cameras before but they had zooms so this would be the first fixed lens one. Anybody ever bring one for traveling and how did you like it?

I'll be bringing some Fuji Velvia, 400H and 160 NPS film and for B&W Arista Premium 100/400.

2. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If that focal length pleases you and the limitations will not be an issue for you it'll be fine. Frankly with those films in mind I'd take the SLR and two compact lenses.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's compact and has a good lens plus that neat angle finder. The downside to me is lack of manual control.

4. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've traveled with it as my back-up camera (Rolleiflex and Cannon AE1 with multiple lenses as the first line) Damned if I didn't find myself relying mostly on the T4 - and loving what I shot with it. Yes, there are limitations, but the best camera is the one you have with you, and it is so much simpler to have the T4 with you that the limitations seemed unimportant ,ost opf the time. The negatives rivaled those from the Rollei - smaller, of course, but no less sharp and contrasty. I shot (then) mostly EFKE 50, Agfa 100 and HP5 for B&W, Portra NC160 and Velvia for color.

5. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I took a brand new one to Ireland in 1993 for my honeymoon. It has since been back to Ireland twice and to England as well. I have no regrets. Zooms are overrated. :cool:

6. CD55

CD55 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ya you're right when I think about it now. I should have 2 cameras with one as a possible backup. I've only shot 3 rolls through the Yashica and I certainly don't want it failing on me thousands of miles away from my other cameras. If I've shot more rolls with it I'd be more confident with its reliability since it was a thrift store buy. I'll probably end up bringing the Canon AE-1P with the 24mm and 50mm lens.