Yashicamat closeup lenses. Which lens is which?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by cinefane, Jan 9, 2012.

1. cinefane

cinefane Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a pair of Rollei closeup lenses for my Yashica. One looks like a single lens, the other is 'chunkier' so I assume it's a double or more.

My question is, which fits on the taking lens and which is for the viewfinder?

2. antmar

antmar Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The thicker is for the viewing lens, it is made like this in order to correct the parallax, take care for the correct orientation of this particular lens.

3. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    make sure the thicker one (top lens) goes on with the red dot facing up .... you should see the red dot when looking down at the ground glass in other words...if it's in the wrong orientation, you'll INTODUCE PARALLAX!!!!

4. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you John - a really useful tip for me, too.

I've recently acquired a Rolleiparkeil 1 which has three lenses. Two appear identical but there is a thicker one with a red dot on the lens barrell. I'm presuming that the other two are identical and, therefore, interchangeable....??

5. Clay2

Clay2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gee, I have both the sets of Yashica (not Rollei) close-up and tele lenses. Each are marked with 'Taking' or 'Viewing'. Have never
    seen red dots or unmarked ones. Will check at next camera show.
    Best regards,
    /Clay

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2012
  6. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Conventionally (as in all those I have seen...) the red dot goes uppermost on the viewing lens element so that the prism effect goes the right way. The simple closeup lenses have no specific orientation. Useful things - I keep a +3 set on the strap of my Yashicamat for the odd closeup. The only problem is that you lose the option of a filter.

Graham

7. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks GrahamP.

To summarise, then, I should put one of the "simple close-up lenses" on each of the viewing and taking lenses and then put the parallax lens (red dot uppermost) on the viewing lens? If this isn't the case, can someone please advise.

Many thanks,

Paul.

8. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    here's the directions....

and voila

oh...the older rolleinars are in 3 peices...2 identical closeup lenses and a parallax correcting prism...the newer ones have the prism incorporated in the viewing closeup lens...the parallax corrector cannot go on first as there's no bayonet on the end of it

Attached Files:

9. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's fantastic and thank you so much for the instructions. I don't mind experimenting but having the information to hand "up front" saves a lot of wated time, effort and film.

10. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most of the ones intended for the Yashicas come as two part sets - prism/closeup, and a separate closeup lens. The Rollei approach makes sense if you want the option of adjusting the camera height to correct the parallax. Then you would just use two closeup lenses. But 'paramender' style devices for the 45mm or so offset are not common.

Graham

11. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All very interesting and thanks for the information. I have a cheap Bay 1 +1 set, "OMAX" for which the thinner piece is marked "Taking." After reading this thread, I tried rolling the viewing lens along and it does indeed appear to have some prismatic component. I don't see a red dot, but it looks as though it wants to be placed so the "OMAX" on the front reads correctly; e.g., right side up. It does appear to have two elements and I see an asymmetrical/tilted line internally, so I guess it's not just sloppy manufacturing.

Thanks,

The ancient and still learning DaveT