Yes I'm an idiot, I bought the wrong JOBO! Arggggggggh!

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by laz, Oct 8, 2005.

1. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul, I had visited the JOBO site before and never found what I really should have been consulting a damn comparison chart! http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/products/processor_comparison.htm

Oh boy what an idiot I am; it wasn't poor eyesight that made me mistake a CPA with a CPE it was stupidity.

Putting it up for a vote, should I turn around and re-sell this CPE and look for a CPA? I'm thinking I will be driven to distraction everytime I look at the damn thing and be totally unsatisfied with the results of 8x10 sheet film in a paper drum

I'm going to go beat myself senseless while you all decide.

-Bob

2. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Bob,

I would probably invent some insane rationalization for keeping both.<g>

Neal Wydra

3. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As you already have the CPE-2, try it and see. You may find using the paper drums for 810 is fine. If not, then you can put it back on ebay - you'll probably get much the same as you paid for it - who knows, might even make a small profit!

Incidently, anyone know WHY the expert drums do not work on the CPE-2 with a lift? Is it that they physically will not fit or is it that they are too heavy for the motor?

Cheers, Bob.

4. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe this is a good excuse to buy a new 35mm or medium format camera?

You might try it out and see. Ask Denis P about his experience doing 4X5 in a film drum as if it were a print drum. He was happy with the outcome. Except for the obvious quantity limitations you will face, it might be pretty darned good.

Either that or sell it here on APUG for what you have in it. You may be able to do that here and save a lot of hassle. Heck, if you were willing to take a massive loss, I would take it. :D

Paul.

5. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, I have Jobo CPE (not the CPE-2, which is newer, but plain old CPE) - but with lift... I think a Jobo unit without lift is just too much hassle - taking the drum off, etc... BTW, do you have to pour the chemistry in the drums with magnets (without cog gears) in the dark? That's another downside, if true...

Anyway, I have 2 large drums - 2551 (film drum for 5 reels of 35mm film or 3 reels of 120 format), and a print drum #4531 (which I haven't used yet....).

The reason why an Expert drum won't fit is that it's physically bigger (bigger diameter!).

However, you can still get good results with CPE (or CPE2) and 8x10 negatives, with a little ingenuity - like the link I already posted - see here:

http://www.galerie-photo.com/porte-film-jobo.html

BTW, that print drum is the same one I have.... :smile:

I also have a smaller drum (#2523, courtesy of Paul Sorensen :smile:), with which I got excellent results without a reel of any kind - just sticking the 2 negs to the inner wall of the drum. The development came out perfect. See the thread here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19737

Since I seem to be having some problems with 2509N reel for 4x5, I just might make a DIY variation of that DIY link I provided above - only for the smaller 2523 drum, so that I can develop 3 negs (4x5) at once.

Another possibility, if you want to be able to do more negs at once, is to use a similar gadget in one of the larger drums - film or print drums.

So, you don't have to get rid of the CPE-2 and spend a fortune on an Expert drum.
    Check out the link I provided above (in French, but you'll get the idea) and make something like that yourself, or have something like that made - the link shows neg "carrier" for 5x7 negs, if I'm not mistaken. The same principle (with different measures, of course) should apply to 8x10 negs.

HTH,

Denis

6. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, it's yours for $100 + shipping (which was $16.50 to me) I'll not even unpack it, just take it off my doorstep when it comes, slap your address on it and head to the P.O.

No I'm not kidding. I'm that disgusted with myself and want it out of my life before I even see it!

The problem with all the kind suggestions is that I'm quite obsessive-compulsive and I know that the lack of perfection inherent in any jury rig will drive me nuttier than I already am.

So, there ya go Paul, as mom told you be careful what you offer, someone just might take you up on it! :D

-Bob

7. bobbysandstrom

bobbysandstrom Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Bob, if it's any consolation, I'm obssesive as well. And, I'm after the best quality neg I can make. Therefor, my CPP-2 sits bone dry as I've learned I must hand process my negs to make them what I want them to be!

8. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    WRONG???

I use a CPE-2 for film development, sheets up to 30x40cm in a 2840 paper drum. My CPE-2 is old enough that the instruction book explains how to do it.

If you're "totally unsatisfied with the results of 8x10 sheet film in a paper drum" it's not the drum, nor the CPE-2, that's at fault.

9. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the CPE-2 with the 2840 paper drum for 8x10 film, and have nothing but perfect results...

10. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, I'm back; I stuck my head in a bucket of Rodinal and I feel much better (damn that stuff is good for everything!)

Anyways, seems I scared Paul off with my offer!
    Bless you Ole for posting that! And I'm now much calmer and will go back and check out the all great suggestions from all my fellow APUGers.

How about that, a slug of Rodinal and the comfort of APUG has worked better then a pound of Prozac and a couple of grand in psychiatrist bills!

-Bob

11. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You won't scare me with that offer. If you are serious, I'll take it!

Regards, Art.

12. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, you did scare me. Actually I just now saw it. While it is very kind, I want you to do better with it all and I also don't happen to have $100 sitting around here right at the moment. I know that you should be able to do better and I was joking when I said it. Maybe you can list it here with the photos from the auction (or a link to it) and see if someone will give you what you paid. That would sure feel better to me and I won't have to find a home for the beast. (I think I would lose either my wife or my job, depending on where I tried to store the thing. :D)

13. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What a pity, it sounds I am trying to sell in the wrong business!

Best results for sheet film you will get in a 2509N (and use those extra parts!) and even better in a combination of 2521 Tank and the Heiland TAS Processor. But also a CPE (plus) in rotation will give perfect results.

Regards,

Robert

14. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't worry Robert I don't think you'll be out of business anytime soon!

Bob

15. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whoohoo! Just sealed a deal to take the Jobo off of Bob's hands! It's going to a good home. :D

Art.

16. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL That's right hold me up to more public ridicule! :D I was going to pretend I kept it, but, someone would catch me buying a CPP on ebay! :D

17. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't say ridicule! This processor will be loved and pampered like a...well that's for another forum! :surprised: Anyway, I can't wait for the call to pick it up and start using it pronto. I'd better pick up the correct drums though... now where to get those at a good price?

Look forward to meeting you soon, Bob.

Art.

18. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well as everybody knows now, just wait for me to screw up again! :D

Ditto