Yet another Hassy newby: frame spacing

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by marcello.brussard, Dec 23, 2003.

1. marcello.brussard

marcello.brussard Member

Hi,
    I've recently had the chance to buy a cheap 500 c/m body with lens a film magazine coming from a 500 c. The camera seems to work smoothly and fine, but the frame spacing is rather odd, randomly variing from 4 mm to 6 mm. All the frames are pretty usable, but I wanted to know if this behavior is normal or is a sing of incoming problems (I've been given a 3 mounts guarantee).

Xmas greetings,

Marcello

2. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Uneven spacing between exposures means that the wind-on mechanism needs adjusting/repairing as it may get worse. So you had better get the Hassy seen to now that you still have guarantee on it.

Season's greetings

Hans

3. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    While there is a distinct possibility that the magazine should be adjusted / repaired, the first thing I would do it to make sure that the film is held by the "tab" on the right side of the magazine insert (open when the latch is in the locked position; and closed, and holding the film), when the insert is ready to be placed into the magazine body.

The most common error I make in loading the magazine is to have the film over this tab .. and will result in uneven and excessive frame spacing.

I *LOVE* my 'Blads, but loading film in the magazine is not the most fun in the world. I know more than one serious 'Blad user who will entrust nearly everything in the studio to an Assistant - except - they will ALWAYS load their own magazines.

4. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would suspect it needs adjustment. Get an estimate before your time is up.

5. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Egad! Mine's been doing that since I bought it a couple of years ago. I thought this was normal?

Art.

6. marcello.brussard

marcello.brussard Member

The spacing problem had worsened within a few rolls from my first post. The dealer has recognized that the magazine was in need of a CLA. Now the frame spacing is more accurate, even if not perfect, but most of all is stable (does not change so much from frame to frame). So, maybe, now it is almost normal (like the magazine of Art). Ciao, Marcello