Yet another new person.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Stephanie Brim, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My name is Stephanie and I'm a film camera junkie.

My love affair with photography started with film at a decently young age. My uncle gave my sister a camera and, since she wasn't as interested in it as I was, I pretty much swiped it and claimed it as my own. A cheap point-and-shoot 35mm camera that I still have to this day took some of the first photos that I can actually say are worth anything. I used that one for years until I got really interested in getting more stuff and went digital...three times. I couldn't find a camera that suited my taste: I love shooting low-light as well as available light photos and point and shoot digitals just aren't good for that. I threw in the towel with digital because I couldn't afford what I really needed to take the photos I want and went with a manual film SLR. I fell in love.

I now have 11 cameras including the old point and shoot, 6 of them in various states of being usable. I am getting up a good collection and I plan to get some more to add to it. I love the feel of older cameras because I hate the feel of plastic ones. My favorites that I have so far are my Canonet 28, Voigtlander Vito CLR, my Nikon, a Canon Demi, as soon as I get it so that it actually works past 1/500th of a second, a Yashica MG-1. I'm slowly fixing up a Meopta Flexaret, an Olympus Pen EE, an Argus C4, and Argus C3, A Bosley B2, and a Bilora Bella. I'll be working on adding a Leica M3 and Summicron to that kit as well as an Olympus XA, Yashica Lynx 14E, and a Canonet GIII QL17.

When I'm not taking photographs or working on the cameras I do a lot of reading, writing, and walking. I generally take a camera with me wherever I go. I also like to do web design, digital art, and collage. I also love to cook and wouldn't mind owning a restaurant someday. I plan to go to a culinary school.

So hi. :smile:

2. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, Stephanie - welcome.
    juan

3. thedarkroomstudios

thedarkroomstudios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Apug. A place where you and your ecclectic camera collection can grow and have fun. If you change "wouldn't mind" to "will someday" it will be the 1st step to doing it.
    Happy shooting,
    Brad

4. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Man, do all photographers love to cook and eat?? Is everyone round like me? Just kidding. I have 3 photog friends and we all have put culinary arts as are backup profession...

Welcome Steph. Nice to know there are more enthusiasts in the Midwest.

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi stephanie
    you've come to the right place. :smile:

enjoy!
    -john

6. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Speaking of the midwest...anyone know where to get Diafine in Iowa? :tongue:

7. Bighead

Bighead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry, but, what is it?? My instructor/now friend grew up in Iowa and attended university there.. I could probably find out....

8. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fill it to the rim..with Brim!
    I went to Culinary school and I teach at a culinary school in what appears to be my time off (do I actually have any?). I'm also a personal chef. Let me know if you have any questions about school or the business.

9. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haha, high school chant. "Fill it to the rim with Brim!" They used to say that when I walked by and there's a story behind it.

I'm not a big girl really, but I do have some curves. Most of the guys in high school stared when I walked by because of this.

Eric, I'm going to be going to a school in Iowa for at least a little while due to budget constraints and lack of savings and then I'll be moving to Minnesota to attend school there. Being a personal chef is actually what I'd like to do. I'm generally all for healthy food, organically grown produce, and lots of spices that aren't salt. :smile: I also make up recipes. I also just love food in general. :D

10. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Diafine is a two-bath developer that gives a decent push to your film with no visible grain increase and it's also very hard to screw up. I'm just learning and most of the people I generally get along with at RFF like it a lot for use with Tri-X and HP5, two of the films that I prefer using.

11. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Hi Stephanie! What a collection you have!

Bighead, to answer your question, I hate to cook. If it's not microwave, then my husband cooks it.

12. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the growing number of women at APUG, Stephanie! :wink: Sounds like you have quite a collection! What sort of things do you like taking photos of?

This is a great place to find answers, questions & new friends! :D

13. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes... welcome, and as Jeanette said, great to see another woman here!Looking forward to seeing your work in the galleries.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I actually drank some of that stuff during college. Do they even make it anymore?
    I recognize your name from RFF

16. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Stephanie...'gotta luv them camera collectin' diafine mixin' midwestern gals...

I'm originally from Illinois, and actually miss it, not the weather, just "it".

You've already done fit in here.

Regards.

17. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Stephanie. This is a great "global" community with common interests. :smile: I am sure you will enjoy it.

18. Peter Williams

Peter Williams Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome!!!!!

19. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Welcome Stef. You're in bad company here. We'll hook you up with large format in no time. So much fun stuff to do and so little time.

20. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bonjour!

You can order your Diafine from Calumet and have it in no time at all.

21. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello, for the second time I think today, Stephanie. I believe I just left you a message @ RFF regarding film. Looking forward to seeing your work. From your northern border. Luke

22. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Stephanie,

let me be the first person to welcome you from outside the USA. APUG truly is global.

With some of your disclosed details, I can't wait to hear some of the enthusiastic hello's you'll likely receive from some our our European members... :smile:

Glenn

23. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, another thing is that I tend to keep European hours when I'm not working and I'm SO not working now. I may have to stop doing that, though, so that I can develop film...but I tend to stay up most nights until WAY past what should be my bedtime.

Thanks for all the welcomes. I'm glad to be here. I still don't know why someone at RFF didn't tell me about this sooner...I stopped using digital two years ago. :tongue:

To answer some questions, I take photos of everything. Kids, plants, the dog, the street, the car, the neighborhood. You name it, I've shot it. I want to do some more interesting photography as soon as I possibly can, though, now that I have my hands on a medium format camera and some rangefinders that I like. I've thought about doing a portrait series, but I don't know if I can get anyone to sit for it.

24. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Stephanie, welcome to APUG!

I live in Cambridge, Iowa, which is halfway between Ankeny & Ames. Where abouts are you? I have a gallon size package of unopened Diafine powder that you can have as I'll never use it. It's been in the dark at the back of my darkroom shelf for a year or two.

Matt

25. mikeg

mikeg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello from Europe!

Cheers

Mike

P.S. Sorry for being over enthusiastic!! :wink:

26. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt, livesaver. I'm in Webster City, Iowa, which is about 70 miles from Des Moines. We'll be going to Adventureland on the 10th. Could possibly pick it up from you. :tongue: