Yongnuo rf-603: Buying decision.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by baachitraka, May 8, 2013.

1. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I may use this wireless trigger unit with Olmypus OM-1n/Rolleicord to trigger Metz CL-4 and 430EX II.

Will it work?

2. wiedzmin

wiedzmin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think PC port works on those as output only so you wont be able to use it with Rolleicord. It should work with Olympus (btw Olympus syncs only at 1/60s) but test button works only if trigger is mounted on camera hot shoe. Since they are designed for modern digital cameras, I do not know if while mounted on Olympus test button will be active.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
  3. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    May I have any recommendation for wireless triggers that works with Rolleicord.

4. wiedzmin

wiedzmin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Matthew Wagg

Matthew Wagg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The simple answer is yes. It will work as a dumb trigger.
    I have one connected to the winder grip of my ETRS and it triggers just fine.
    It won't have the speedlight wake feature as that is tied to the auto focus confirmation but on mine I just opened the bottom up and took out all the extra contacts apart from the X sync as all I need it to do is remotely trigger the flash heads. I can wake the lights up by pressing the test button, no biggie.
    BTW I do use it on all my old manual 35mm cameras as well, it works on everything that has the capability to sync flash.

6. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Entire setup will be in living room to shoot some events at home. Metz 45 may face the subject with an umbrella where as speedlight will lit the background.

7. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I turned off the sleep mode in Speedlight sometime ago. :smile: Many shots were missed when I try to use with OM-1n.

8. wiedzmin

wiedzmin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    those will work then, I was using them several times inside within ~ 15m (~50 ft) from camera to flashes.

9. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't see a reason it shouldn't. I use the older RF-602s (Canon version) with my RB67 ProS and YN-460 II flashes. Also have used it with a Yashica 35 P&S with PC-sync, OM40, OM10, AE-1, and a very old Schneider 360mm f/5.5 (Tele Xenon with really old shutter max 1/100th, but has pc-sync).

Use decent batteries, they have excellent range and are reliable unlike the older Chinese triggers (PT-04 etc).

10. wiedzmin

wiedzmin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    what kind of pc cord you were using ? pc on both end or pc and hot shoe on another ?

I'm talking about connecting camera with pc port only to the trigger

I do not own rf-603 but I saw the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp1ZM3CanrA, please check at 2:09

11. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I expect Rolleicord may need a pc-hotshoe adapter. Nevertheless, I will go with it and see how it goes.

Since RF-603 does not seem to take input via sync port.

12. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I received the trigger on today. Found it does not trigger from any hot-shoe expect from Canon d****** cameras and still I have to test with EOS 650. :-(

13. freecom2

freecom2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's a shame I didn't see this thread earlier, as I discovered this myself when I bought the Nikon equivalents. This information:

is, as far as I can tell, simply wrong. This poster has a modified version, but in stock configuration they will not act as dumb triggers.

I have a modified version myself, the details of how to do the modification are detailed here: http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/02/d...uo-rf603n-wireless-remote-flash-trigger.aspx/

There are a few other write-ups available around the internet on the subject. Once you have done the modification, the transceiver is turned into a full time transmitter (but can also act as a receiver in the right configuration). This modification shouldn't be too difficult if you have a soldering iron to hand.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. freecom2

freecom2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, this is the same thing. All the modifications are tailored towards making the transceiver a full time transmitter (two green lights) without needing a signal from the camera (so the Canon and Nikon ones are switched to transmitter mode by the camera - via the complex hotshoe pins - but without these, they will only be in receiver mode).

17. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thats good news. Seems that YT video mod is not so complicated to modify it.

18. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too have a nikon version which will not work

19. RichardH

RichardH Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought a used Yongnuo RF-602 setup that I hope will work OK. Won't know until I get it though. The person said he used it on a Nikon D90 and that is what I have. I hope to try to use it on the non-D----al cameras I have which I prefer to use.

20. freecom2

freecom2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The RF-602 will work fine on your non-digital cameras. Every transmitter is a permanent transmitter, and every receiver is a permanent receiver.

21. RichardH

RichardH Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I sure hope it works on the film ones. I don't shoot much digital and I got it with some mono lights. The lights was what I wanted anyway and this RF-602 was in with the deal.

Richard

22. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just curious, will rf-602 Tx work with rf-603 receivers?

23. freecom2

freecom2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is no backwards compatibility between the two.

24. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Update: It works with EOS 650(old tank). I can shoot some film.

25. mweintraub

mweintraub Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a set of CTR-301Ps that I use for flash triggering digital and film gear (including Mamiya and Bronica). I bought a set of the RF-603N to use as a wireless shutter release but wanted to try to play with it on film when realzing I can't. I havn't tried modding it, but probably won't because the CTR-301P supports up to 1/500s sync so I can sync it with the leaf lenses of the Mamiya, Bronica, and other RF cameras.

26. analoguey

analoguey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone used a yongnuo 622?
    I have the 602s but their sync speed is too slow for leaf shutter, I'm thinking of using pc hot shoe and connect to the 622s.

Oh and the RF602s work quite well with my old manual Nikon fg with the hot shoe! ( I used Metz58 off camera and a secondary yn467)

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk