You can develop two o more different isos at a time?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by rai, Oct 9, 2013.

1. rai

rai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm planning to develop two or three different isos in the same tank with the same developer to and with the same time. Would it be possible?

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, there was thread about this a few days ago. I do it all the time.

Ian

3. rai

rai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How do you do? Great solutions with long times, without agitation???

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Paterson tanks for 120 (or 35) I have a few and can use2.3,4 or 5 reels I prefer a maximum of 3. For LF I have Jobo tanks (pre rotary and two spirals that hold 6 sheets each. You use the volume of developer to cover the spirals and agitate by inversion I use 3 inversions every minute.

I only process certain films together where I'm happy to use the same development times.

Ian

5. rai

rai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I explain evil! I mean developing two or more rolls with different ASA at the same time in the same tank! Sorry for my bad english!

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes that's what I meant, I process Delta 100 & HP5 orAdox/EFKE 25 at the same time or Fomapan 100 & 200 together but I don't mix the Foma films with any others as they need a much shorter development time.

Ian

7. rai

rai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Example: I want to develop a tmax 100, with hp5 ilford delta 400 and 3200. Would it be possible? developers? good results?

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is possible if all the films require the same developing time.

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be possible but you need to know your films and personal EI (exposure index) for each of them and really that comes with experience, it also depends on the choice of developer.

Ian

10. rai

rai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought so ... I think it is possible to use a very dilute developer such as rodinal 1 +100 and develop for an hour without stirring. I was also thinking about developing with a divided developer and finally a homemade developer for color with cd4, cd3 or cd2, What do you think?
    Thanks

11. WetMogwai

WetMogwai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stand development is what you want. That is what rai described. A low concentration of most developers with little to no agitation will let you mix different films of different ISOs. I think you can use Diafine for normal development with multiple films.

12. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Divided developers often allow this too. I do it pretty routinely with Diafine. Most films are fine with 3 minutes in each bath. A few need longer, but those that only need 3 show no change with additional time so just develop for the longest time required by any of the films. Works fine.

13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mixing films in a dilute stand developer is not a good idea. emulsions differ you're running high risks of uneven development.

Ian

14. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If is better for you to use something like Diafine, or similar divided developer, if you have different films with different developing times.

The very best solution is to just develop them separately.

15. Mark_S

Mark_S Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I shoot large format, and use something based on the zone system which means that I am often developing several sheets of film treating each one differently. For a while, what I was doing was keeping the time and temperature constant, and using BTZS tubes, and adjusting the amount of development (contrast) that I wanted by altering the concentration of the developer that I used for each sheet. I was using HC-110 for this. It worked, but I ended up deciding that the BTZS tubes were more trouble than they were worth and moved on to a more traditional methodology.

16. Regular Rod

Regular Rod Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Compensating developers let you do this quite well. The first time I tried it was with DiXactol http://www.monochromephotography.com/section233148_83767.html but since then have used both 510-PYRO, (ascorbic acid 5g, pyrogallol 10g, phenidone .25g, Triethanolamine 100ml)

and OBSIDIAN AQUA http://hypercatacutancedeveloper.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/obsidian-aqua.html with good results on 25 ISO and 125 ISO at the same time.

RR

17. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can anyone say whether there is a limited range of ISOs that can be adequately covered with two bath developers such as DiXactol such that 50-400 might be OK but 50 or 100 to 3200 might not?

Thanks

pentaxuser

18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Different developers show different balancing features between different emulsions.
    Within the late Agfa range Rodinal and Refinal were located at the two extremes concerning that characteristic.
    For automated roller processing of b&w films Refinal had been used to develop most different films in the some run.

19. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i mix films all the time, different asa's different brands, different everything.
    as long as you know your film, know your developer and ... know your results you will be fine.

my personal developers are ansco 130 AND sumatranol - c. i know what results they give, and i know
    what i expect ( stand development, semi stand, "normal" agitation )
    as long as you know what your developer might do you should be OK, otherwise don't use anything " important " and do a " test "
    no sense taking people's / strangers' personal experiences, they don't have a clue as to how YOU develop YOUR film.

20. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use Acufine for just this purpose. It doesn't matter how many reels of film or what the ISO was. They all develop at the same time. Very interesting and fun developer. I prefer D76 for tonality, but Acufine is very sharp and looks great, just different.

No avatar, no links, no online photos, no witty sayings

21. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The two issues are unrelated. if you have several rools of B&W film that require the Same development time, you can run them all together. If they require differing times you can't. Does not matter what ISO they are originally.

If you are using a developer with a long time it is likely the ideal time for more types of films will be close.

As far as COLOUR film the normal standard process for colour negative these days is C-41. It does not matter WHAT c-41 film you chose, they will all have the same colour development time and so can be batched to gether in your favourite C-41 Process.

22. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  23. rai

rai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks to all for the info! Tomorrow I'll do a test with 25, 100 and 400 on Diafine and Rodinal 1 +100.