You have 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by j-dogg, Jun 11, 2013.

1. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To talk me out of the following:

2x RB67 Pro S
    50mm 4.5
    90mm f3.8
    180 f4.5
    2x Polaroid backs
    2x 220 and 120 backs
    2x metered finders
    2x WLF and a macro finder
    30-50 refrigerator-kept rolls of 120 and 220 slide, BW and color

all for 450

I would be abandoning 35mm save for a compact Nikon prime, an EOS body and a Soviet rangefinder, and could probably pay for the entire thing by selling my Nikon kit which is all fast primes

...and go

2. dreamingartemis

dreamingartemis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Easy, ask your wife

3. summerbee

summerbee Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would be a dumb since it is just like my own dream... so i could not but agree with previous poster:ask wifey...

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At that price it's a no-brainer, just go get it. MF or LF is the way to go.

Ian

5. Felinik

Felinik Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Go NIKE (Just Do It!).

:smile:

6. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wrong site :smile: ... Here you will hear only "go for it". And for that price I say ... go for it :smile:

7. Oxleyroad

Oxleyroad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go for it!

8. eriklovold

eriklovold Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's disgustingly cheap. Hurry up and buy it before the person selling it changes his mind.

9. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You don't have it yet???? That's a darn good deal and I'd grab it right now and worry about selling the Nikon stuff later. I've ran into deals like this and even if the seller says it's a "done deal" it ain't done until the cash is in his/her hand and the camera outfit in yours. Doing it quick stops them from getting "seller remorse" just a little to early. I don't have my RB outfit anymore, but it was first rate and the glass was excellent. JohnW

10. dorff

dorff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, you will be giving up a lot of portability, but gaining a lot of quality. If that is the direction in which you want to head, then by all means go for it. The film would be worth somewhere between $90 and $200, and the rest depends on how the equipment looks. Be sure to ascertain the condition of the bellows, focusing racks and also the shutters and general optical condition of the lenses. You could sell one kit and buy additional lenses if you choose. I would personally like something in between 50 and 90 and again between 90 and 180. So a 65 and a 127 would be welcome there. But that is me. At 450, definitely a good buy as the others have already said, if everything works.

11. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The kit sounds like a decent deal, there are enough redundant pieces in there that you could part out a fair amount and lower the net cost significantly or finish out the kit to suit your needs better. But, its only a deal if if it fits your needs.

I enjoy my RB but it doesn't suit all my needs so The questions I have for you are "will the RB suit your shooting style or would say a TLR or Speed-Graphic fit you better", and "is it a style that you really want to explore?".

As to selling the Nikon kit to finance it, tough call.

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Have you got it yet?

Steve.

13. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just one small step towards ULF. :D
    As Mark B says, there is a fair bit of redundant kit there, but for the price, it is pretty attractive.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    are you selling anything you already have to make room for this 2 camera kit?

a few months ago i might have joined in with the "go for it" cheer but ..
    there isn't much difference between your 35mm kit/s and the mf kit/s you already have
    and this. don't bother with it, save your money and get something larger-format
    AMD PORTABLE. no point in loading up on MF or 35mm

16. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    $450 BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY.. good price n a great camera. If anything you can recoup the money by selling the parts separately.

If you don't buy it let me have it?

BTW keep teh Nikon.. it;ll look great in the display case in the living room!

17. edcculus

edcculus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That 50mm lens alone goes for $250-350 on KEH! Get the kit now and ask questions later. Heck, use it for a while, and if its too much, sell it here to make all of your money back plus some.

Unless the bellows have holes in them, all of the shutters are completely worn out, the backs have light leaks and the lenses have fungus, that kit is worth well over $1000.

18. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Go for it.

If you miss the portability, sell the extra body, extra Polaroid back, and extra finders (since you can swap backs you don't need multiple bodies like you do with 35mm) and put the proceeds toward some additional 35mm for portability or, if you prefer, a more portable easier to hand hold MF like a basic 645 or a 6x6 TLR or something. :smile:

19. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Without knowing how it has come as an offer to you, whether thru a friend or a find, I would be remiss if I didn't take a more cautious tone. Overall there were two reasons I got rid of my Pro-S. One, it was a very bulky package and just didn't ft my shooting style and usual output, and 2, no metered prism. At least make sure your not getting yourself into a big CLA expense. If the kit is all that good someone could have sold it by piece on Ebay and made 3x the money or more, so I wonder how it came as an offer to you. Hopefully it is thru a friend who's retiring and wishes to bless you. At least check it all out first in hand. It's almost one of those too good to believe deals which can lead us down paths not necessarily based on logical thinking. Ones that I wish I had walked away from more then once. If you've been hankering for a MF camera tho it is very capable of great images. Just realize it's usually better on a solid tripod then as a (approx with lens) 6lb weight on a shoulder strap for a walkabout without taking anything else. In reference, the 4x5 kit I had would weight less then half what your offer is at and I was able to individualize the processing.

20. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Ignore all these people and stay away from this purchase..Who is selling it?....

21. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :wink:

The above is a good point though.

My Mamiya 645 kit is far lighter and easier hand held than an RB and the bag with the camera, several backs, three lenses etc. still weighs quite a bit more than my 4x5 backpack with my Tech III (not an especially light field camera,) BTZS hood, spot meter, filters, three lenses, six film holders etc.

The RB is a serious cinder block of a camera, though not so much so as the RZ. IF one wants to shoot mainly handheld...buy it anyway and part it out, buy something more suitable with the proceeds! (Assuming it's all in good shape, of course.)

22. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    good deal... get it. I have just upgraded to multiple Rb67 bodies and it just make a ton of options available.

23. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yeah that money would be much better spent on new paint and window treatments for the living room. :laugh:

24. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At this low price, are we sure this isn't a sale by a vengeful or disgruntled wife?

Marc

25. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah it is a heavy camera buit that doesn't mean it can't be hand held.. I do it all the time for street n other shoots.

non metered is a problem???? REALLY???? Metered prisms are never reliable nort accurate.. get a hand held meter!

Yes if it is a shot camera.. I mean can't be fixed.. then walk away. But if a CLA is all she needs n probably does.. GO FOR IT!

Many of these old pro cameras have been abandoned so now that they are turning up in the hands of amature cheap skates.... a CLA is not a death sentence!

Old taxi cabes ran for 500,000 miles. why? they got regualr maintenance whether it needed or not.. same is true for these cameras.. they go on till someone kills em with neglect.

I'll take it if the CLA is the worst part of the deal.

FUNGUS IS A DEAL BREAKER!

26. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    oops