Your favorite camera strap?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by AutumnJazz, Feb 15, 2009.

1. AutumnJazz

AutumnJazz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So, what is it? I ask because I'm curious, and I want a new one. I have a decent Tamrack neck strap that I use as a shoulder strap, but I'm tired of it sliding all over the place when I wear leather or something. I was thinking of an UpStrap, but I don't know. I just want something that I can sling on my shoulder that won't slide off.

So, what is your preferred strap? How do you "wear" it?

2. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the Domke gripper strap. It works well on the shoulder without a backpack, but its a bit cumbersome with one. I would get the Gordys strap, but the Nikon F5 is too heavy for a thin strap.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have an UpStrap, and I like it. I can wear it over my shoulder or around my neck, and it stays put.

I don't like neoprene straps like OpTech--they bounce too much.

I generally like straps that are small and don't take up too much space in the case or get in the way when the camera is on a tripod. Often a simple 1/2" wide nylon webbing strap with a grippy fabric in the middle section is just right.

I had one of those Calumet air cushioned straps for a while on my 4x5" Technika--very comfortable for a big camera, but it failed after about a year. The neoprene separated from the neck pad, but fortunately the piping kept the camera from crashing to the ground. Now I write the date that I install a new strap on the Technika and replace it every year or two, and if the strap looks like it still has some life in it, I move it to another, smaller camera.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ones that hold my cameras.

Steve

5. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My favorite is the Nikon AN-4B. It's simple, functional, and doesn't call attention to itself. I wear it around my neck. But I'm not sure that it's the best solution if your main concern is straps sliding off your shoulder - it's not super-grippy.

6. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well I don't care which one I use.........but the one I hate is the bright red one with large "Canon" in white printed.........supplied with AE1 etc cameras at the time.

7. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also use the Nikon AN-4B when I want a neck strap. But a camera around my neck bangs into everything, and the strap always seems in the way unless I take it off my neck and wrap it around one hand.

So more and more I’m using a simple wrist strap. I use the lanyard for a whistle, like the ones you see a coach or referee use at basketball games. I cut the metal clip off, and loop the lanyard in choker style through one D-ring, then fix the other end choker style around my wrist. Even if I drop the camera, it only drops a few inches. Very simple, and certainly doesn’t draw attention.

8. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My EOS 1N and RS, both heavy brutes, are fitted with a Domke Gripper, black in both instances.
    No slip, just grip. Imported from USA eBayer last July.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use OpTech straps I have them on all my cameras.

10. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hauling multiple bodies all day around race tracks caused me to fall in love with the wide OpTech straps. They do a great job of distributing the weight and are plenty tough.

11. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  12. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    For my Oly's the ones that came with them, aprox. 4cm wide, B&W
    For my "new" RB I have to buy one yet, thinking of: www.optechusa.com for it.
    For my SL 66 I don't use one, I have the grip and that works for me
    For my Rolleiflex 2.8F I need to get a new one too: the old leather one broke in several places, kept the att. though
    and a P2 with a neck-strap ?

13. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :DI use barb-wire! Makes me feel like a real man!:D

Jeff

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Domke Gripper on smaller cameras such as Leicas and it's great, doesn't slip on my shoulder and I can wrap it around my hand to hold the camera securely in one hand. For larger, heavier cameras you can't beat the UpStrap.

Richard Wasserman

16. alanrockwood

alanrockwood Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like to use a leather shoe lace for the strap on my Ricoh 35ZF because it's so cheap, and it doesn't cut into my neck because the camera is so light.

I must try Jeff's idea for using a barbed wire camera strap, but I have one question. Do you have to buy a whole roll of barbed wire just to cut a short strap, or will the farmer supply store sell you a short length?

Most of my cameras use a plain old Canon strap, which is just fine with me.

17. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have Op/Tech Super Classic straps on three of my cameras, and am very happy with them. But I don't pretend to know how other straps compare, since I haven't had the chance to try them.

18. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just drive down the back roads 'til I find a hunk hanging loose on a fence and liberate it, If it's not loose I just cut a hunk out of the fence. The farmer must not need it if he leaves it out in the middle of no where like that.
    I also wear shirts made from dog hair so they itch & stink. Ain't nothin' like wet dog hair.

19. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have Gordy's wrist straps on my two cameras. I chose these because I walk around with my camera in my hand and I find the neck straps a bit bulky when they're wrapped around the wrist. I carry a lightweight setup: FM2 + 1 lens.

20. John W

John W Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My favorite straps for my 35mm RF/SLR cameras are some straps akin to the Y-strap or Leicagoodies STRAP that I made myself. At least for the wide to standard lenses that I tend to use these days, I really love this strap style.

It's worth noting that some strap styles work better for some shooting styles. I like the y-style straps for one-body opportunistic/street shooting. OTOH, I've heard folks highly recommend the previously mentioned UpStrap, because it "holds on" very well -- it can rest securely on one shoulder without that annoying slipping-off, shoulder-hunched feeling. Very useful when using multiple bodies or in other "dynamic" shooting situations where the camera moves around alot.

21. lyonheart

lyonheart Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The UpStrap does it for me and my F5 and my D200. Wonderful straps.

22. AutumnJazz

AutumnJazz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use an F100 for street, pretty much, but I don't think I could see myself using a bandoleer style strap. It is just way too restrictive. When I sit down, I like to rest my camera around me. So that rules out the Y-Strap, R-Strap, the BlackRapid, and more...

Does B&H have the upstrap? I'm going to NYC tomorrow, so I would be able to stop by B&H and try crap. (I'll search B&H right now...)

23. Robert Budding

Robert Budding Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  24. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Ultra leather strap for the Nikons, they may be out of business now. They are cut like the hasselblad contoured strap.

On the hassy I use the Hasselblad contour strap.

Koni Omega -- no strap

Mike

25. Naples

Naples Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  26. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm fairly sure you can only get the UpStrap from the website-- http://upstrap-pro.com/

I've never seen it at B&H.