Your Favorite Lab and why?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Stephen Frizza, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Who is your favorite pro lab, where are they located and why are they your favorite?

2. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    32 views ...does that mean 32 apug people dont use labs? or do these 32 dislike every lab they have found? replies anyone?

3. David Grenet

David Grenet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you know which lab is my favorite :smile:

4. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Steve. One of my main motivations to do my own film processing was the shoddy standard of processing from many different commercial labs. A couple of years ago, for the first time in about 14 years I needed to get some processing and printing done commercially for a friend's wedding as I was between darkrooms. Anyway, the standard of printing was so poor that I needed to get them to reprint more than 20% of the photos, and to then reprint 20% of the rework.

5. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By the way, Steve, if I lived in Sydney I would probably be singing your praises. :smile:

6. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks but I'de really like to hear the praises of other labs pout there. I'de love to hear about the amazing place in America or that awesome place in Brazil or some super great place in England etc....may i add my 2 cents and say I think Dwaynes is AMAZING!!! thanks for processing Kodachrome long after everyone else stopped. you are heros in the history of Kodachrome. I also want to say that I think DR5 is an awesome lab for keeping black and white reversal processes commercially available!!! I find both facilities really inspiring.
    Another lab i think is brilliant is West Coast Imaging I think these guys are masters of drum scanning.
    So come on who everyone who do you know out there offers a commercial service with wow!

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have a favorite lab, I just do it my self.

Jeff

8. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Blue Moon Camera and Machine. Their heart and soul in is the processing and they care as if every shot was there own and their life depended on it. The quality is outstanding. They don't believe in digital. They revolve around film photography. They also even sell and service typewriters! Their printing is all optical so nothing is scanned. Amazing!

9. trotkiller

trotkiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah there is this lab, I think its called lighthouse or something... you might have heard of it??? :D:D:D

10. largeformat pat

largeformat pat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi,
    I would have to agree with Kevin. Bad run. However, I fortunate to have worked in a great pro lab in the 80's and I have set my self up to the same QA standards. I guess when you do you're own work you're more picky.
    Pat

11. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do all my own processing including C-41 and E-6

12. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have 2 favorites labs ...
    one is is kerry's 1 hour photo here in warwick ri.
    she knows her stuff and he prints are amazing.
    i take 35mm c41 to her ...
    renaissance creative imaging formerly in providence ri, now in pawtucket ri ..
    they have never let me down when it comes to chromes ( 35mm, 120, 4x5 ) or mf/lf c41 ..
    they bend over backwards to serve their customers ...
    they are the only lab left in our state that still processes bigger than 120 format film.
    my only complaint is they are so far away ...
    30mins means a day-trip and i have to pack a lunch! :wink:

13. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been using Chrome, in Georgetown, Washington DC, for about 30 years. I am not a high volume client, but am always treated as if I am. The work is always superb (4x5 E-6, and color prints), and special instructions are complied with. On the rare occasion where the special instructions (granted- sometimes my instructions are a bit vague... "warm it up a bit, please") are not exactly met, they redo the job without argument. On one occasion, it involved reprinting 25 20x24 inch prints.
    In short, excellent results, great customer service, and a welcoming environment.

14. jimrohrer

jimrohrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't shoot color too often, but when I do I use Dorian Labs in Arlington, MA. (www.doriancolor.com) They have done all of my E-6 processing for years now and their work has always been clean, accurate and fast, with friendly service at the counter. They provide services other than processing, but they still show a commitment to film work, and that has not been the case always with other labs.

15. imazursky

imazursky Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    My favorite lab is LTI in nyc.
    They are the best people to work with and have become friends over the years.
    C-41, E-6 and B&W is run in D&D processors from 35mm to 16x20" film. Everything is very clean and consistent.
    They also have some of the best RA4 and B&W printer i have ever seen.

16. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    On the rare occasions I use a lab I go with Blue Moon Camera and Machine. Not only is their quality and attention to detail absolutely fabulous but they are also great folks to talk to.

Plus, their storefront is filled to the brim with used cameras, lenses, darkroom equipment, and other photography gems. I feel like I did when I was ten years old going to the comic book store and they don't hover over you while you are browsing.

17. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use photo express in Hull, mail order http://www.photo-express.co.uk/index.html because I can get a film developed and scanned at 3000x2000 for £4 inc return postage. No problem with the quality, and their customer service has been great on the odd occasion I have needed to speak to them - they have been very easy to deal with and helped me to work out if a scratch showing on some negs was was them or my camera. (it was my camera!). They turn round very quickly as well - usually I receive the job back two days after the day I posted it.

18. swittmann

swittmann Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Can someone please suggest a lab in the New Jersey area? I am asking for a friend who lives there.

I live in Berlin, Germany, and heard good things about Jochen Rohner (www.jochen-rohner.de) and Ole Pet (www.ole-pet.de).

(edited because of a typo)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010
  19. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used Chrome in Georgetown also for my color work. They do a terrific job with color - black and white, not so much. Digital has killed the ability of commercial labs to do a reasonable job with black-and-white. They even admitted as much.