Your favorite 'other' slr.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Chrismat, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Chrismat

Chrismat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've only been a member of APUG for slightly more than a year and I don't know if this has been discussed, so...

Let's say you are a Nikon guy or a Minolta gal, you absolutely love the brand, BUT you have another slr from another manufacturer that you would never part with.

I've used a lot of slr brands but I would have to categorize myself as a Pentaxian, I just really like their slrs especially the Spotmatics up to the LX. However, I have a Nikkormat FTN that I really like and I can't see myself ever parting with. Not only is it a great camera but I can see it being very handy using it against muggers.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012
  2. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm a Nikon gal, ever since I got my first FE, and I don't think I would ever change for 35mm. But I do use a Bronica SQAi -- does it count if it's a different format? I just love the square, and it's often hard for me to choose over one or the other when I come across different scenes that I like.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In 35mm, I'm a long-time Canon user (could just as well have turned out a Nikon or Contax user, but I started with Canon, and it made sense not to switch), but my favorite other SLR is my 5x7" Press Graflex.

4. Chrismat

Chrismat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I initially meant just 35mm (my bad), but for other formats, I just got a 2 1/4 Kowa SixMM slr, that lens is just bitingly sharp.

But I would like to hear what other 35mm brands people like.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012
  5. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a long time Nikon enthusiast. I used to have a Minolta X700 that I really enjoyed. I recently purchased a Canon A1 and it is wonderful. Used a lot of Canon cameras back in the 70s.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rolleiflex 35mm SL3003 series and 'other' cameras are Yashica FX3 2000.

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All my 35mm SLR s are Canon FD, I rationalized my equipment about twenty five years ago, and stuck to one system ever since.

8. Marvin

Marvin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am a current Nikon user but still have several old Minolta cameras. I have X700, X370, and several Minolta lenses.
    Marvin

9. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nikon, ever since my first FM2n, Titanium Shutter. That was my first "real" camera - purchased brand new on the recommendation of Terry Ernst, owner of Ernst Camera Shoppe in Port Huron, MI. He is still in business, still processing film for me. This carried over into my dSLRs as well. I do consider getting a K1000 every so often, some good friends of mine had these way back when and really liked them.

It is amazing how your first purchase can so influence your subsequent purchases, even if you didn't accumulate an extensive accessory collection. Always been happy with Nikon SLRs, never found a reason to consider others.

10. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Attached Files:

11. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Long time Canon user, the T90 is still my 'go-to' camera. Two of my favorite cameras (regardless of brand) are the Nikon F4 and Contax RX.

12. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been shooting Olympus gear since pre-OM system, starting with an FTL. I have had and used Contax and Canon 35's in the meanwhile as extra gear, but remain a loyal OM user.

13. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use mostly Konica Autoreflexes, they are built like tanks and the quality of the Hexanon lenses rivals all the high priced glass.
    Also have some Minolta Srt's, they are wonderful cameras.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. brian d

brian d Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Minolta's are my most used slr's with a Maxxum 800si and X-700 being the two most used. My current favorite other slr is a old Kodak Retina Reflex.

16. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am a Pentaxian, with an LX and a few M-series primes.

The only other camera from another manufacturer that I have that I love is my Minolta SRT-200. I have a few other SLRs from other companies: Olympus OM-PC, Nikon FG, etc., I'm in the process of selling them all to use the Pentax LX exclusively. I love the camera's size, features, and the lenses. I'm also building a 4x5 outfit so the money raised in selling the other equipment will help fund that venture.

17. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am not sure which is my primary let alone my other . . . :whistling:

[​IMG] Larger -> Cameras by Name

18. Someonenameddavid

Someonenameddavid Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I have been a Nikon SLR devotee since my black Nikkormat FTn in the 1970-s. I first held an M3 in 1982 and until that point didn't understand the fuss over Leicas. It took me 16 years to find an M3 I could afford. In passing along the way I have been truly impressed by the OM system, the Minolta XM, XE-1/7, Pentax MX, Contax RTS and latterly the quirky original Contax IIa/IIIa rangefinders ( which are so much cheaper and better than Barnack Leicas) If I had to earn a living in analog photography, it would be Nikon and Mamiya RB67... And Linhof in my dreams. Having seen pros using reliable equipment that looks beat, I wouldn't rely on anything else.

That's my opinion which is worth what you paid for it.

19. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I got started with Nikon in the early 70s but Minolta was more affordable and had excellent glass.I added Nikon a while back.My go to cameras are Minolta XD-11 and Nikon FA. I have others I use depending on what I'm shooting. Outside of them I have a Leica R5 I use on occasion.

Medium format its Hasselblad.

4x5 I use Cambo which is nice, but I have an eye out for a Sinar.

20. 2bits

2bits Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got started w/ Pentax in the 60's mainly because I couldn't afford a Nikon back then. Since then I've got the Nikon, but still prefer the Pentax as my main 35mm. There is hardly a camera I don't like. I just picked up a really nice Canon AT-1 that is looking good!

21. ColdEye

ColdEye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All time favorite is Olympus OM, but as of now I am enjoying the af goodness of my n90s (nikon).

22. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon guy, but my first SLR was a Yashica... and I fell in love with some of the Contaxes back in the day. So... a Contax tempts me (but so far I haven't caved).

And, if I thought I could keep it working reliably, an Exakta... they are such interesting-looking cameras.

23. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon F100
    Nikon N75
    Hasselblad 503 CX
    Hasselblad 903 SWC
    Graflex Model D 4"x5"

In the past Minolta SR7, Minolta SRT101, Minolta SRT201, Minolta X700

24. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nikon F2 is my camera, but my second camera is a newly CLA'd Pentax S1 with a Takumar 55/1.8. It is sooo sweet. :smile: I don't have an external light meter so it does not get the use it should at the moment.

25. one90guy

one90guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My 1st slr in 1968 was a Yashica TL-Super, next a Minolta SRT 101 that lasted me 20 years, and about 13 years ago my wife bought me a Nikon FM-10 which was my only till about 5 years ago when I got into the F4's, N-90's, and N-80's. All Af's have been sold and replaced by a Nikon FG was I love. Also replaced my TL-Super a few months back. Never had a slr I did not like:^)

Medium format is a Ricoh Diacord L and use several Yashica rangefinders plus Argus. Also dabble in Polaroid packfilm conversions.

26. mikebarger

mikebarger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I started with and original Canon F1 and switched to a Nikon F's early on. I could buy used Nikkor lens, couldn't find used Canon FD or BH/Canon lens, where I lived at the time (pre-internet). While I haven't switched from Nikon since (now using a F3HP MD-4 and a EL2 w/winder) I always regretted selling the Canon. Recently sold two black Nikon F's (FTN w/F-36 drive) and while missing them, was offered an outlandish amount of money for them (bought a Zone VI camera, had Richard Ritter add a bail, and 210mm 5.6 Fujinon, and a few other LF odds and ends from the proceeds).