Your most orphaned format?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by EASmithV, Mar 3, 2012.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And by that, I especially mean, formats / cameras that you have everything you need to shoot, but don't.

For instance, I rarely use my 2x3 press camera. I have the film, the holders, and everything else I could need... But I don't use it because 2x3 sheet film is so irritating to work with... There's no good way to process it...

Don't even try to mention trays either... That's not a good way to process anything... hah.

2. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Um, why not shoot roll film with your 2x3 gear? There are roll holders for 2x3 press cameras with spring backs. If you don't have one, you don't have everything you need to shoot ...

3. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35mm gear. I hate winding the film onto spools for processing and then once processed I have 36 negs to deal with. That's way to many at once to even attempt printing.

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    6 x 4.5cm. I haven't used my Bronica ETRS for years. I do think it's a nice format for 120 though.

Steve.

5. brian d

brian d Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    6.5x9 is mine, I have a real nice little Ihagee kit but it rarely gets any use and when it does get any use its with a 120 adapter.
    Have you tried stainless steel hangers for 2x3 processing? I use them with regular 4x5 tanks and am happy with the results. In fact I like using the baby press camera's so much that I've been thinking about trying my hand at cutting down and processing color film

6. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Polaroid pack film. A lot of orphaned cameras sitting around. Also, SX-70 film.

7. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Humm, I don't really have any. I have a 620 Kodak Duaflex my fiance got me but I'm not really into the Lomography thing, but I do get a roll of respooled 620 and play with it occasionally. I also have (one) 35mm point and shoot but that either goes with her on trips or is kept in the car for an "as needed any time" camera.

I use my 35mm gear. I use my Yashica TLR and I just bought a Mamiya 645 Pro that I'm having fun playing with and expect to use. I certainly use my 4x5, although not as much as I might like because, well, it's an endeavor in its own right rather than something to take along while doing anything else.

8. Marvin

Marvin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two Minolta 16 Cameras and there is someone who cuts down the film and loads cartriges. You can still find these on ebay and film for them. In the day these were nice little pocket able cameras. Today I just use a N75 Nikon as my carry along camera.
    Marvin

9. rawhead

rawhead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    35mm. 36 exposures is a bitch to get through... and for such small images, too! Don't even get me started on my half-frame setup...

10. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35mm

11. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    4.5x6 cm plate, or maybe 9x12 plate.

12. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like to load shorter rolls, like 20-24, from bulk. I don't like buying 24 exposure rolls because (when they're even available) they cost almost as much as 36, but they sure are more convenient most of the time.

13. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    35mm also. Like 120 film (10expoures).

Jeff

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    +1

16. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Half frame (18x24mm) and also 35mm in general, it's a film size I rarely use these days and even my 645's get very little use, instead I shoot mainly 5x4 which has been my main format for 26 years but now I also shoot some 10x8 and quite a bit of 6x6, and the odd 9x12 etc.

Ian

17. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't think I have a format that I don't use in my collection of equipment, but my least used is probably 645, I have a Bronica etr outfit that I use perhaps once a year, and a 645 folder that I use a bit more, plus a 6/6 645 dual format that only gets used on 6/6
    Richard

18. Hikari

Hikari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    35mm. I don't get along with the aspect ratio. I don't like the quality. I wish larger formats came in 36 frame rolls though.

19. whlogan

whlogan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    almost any 127 film camera... too hard to change some reels and load them up and process it.... used to be fun, though
    Logan

20. CGW

CGW Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    35mm, sadly. Cheap acceptable quality dev/print service has morphed into pricey iffy quality dev/print service, thanks to collapsed demand. Have lots of C-41 film I'll probably never finish up. Shoot 120 mostly now.

21. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh this is easy to answer, Eric: I have two fancy dSLRs and haven't used them in ages. Not sure when I will, actually. Thousands of dollars wasted, if you ask me :sad:

All of my film cameras get attention fairly often. I don't buy anything to have it sit. Except the digitals, apparently...

22. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    126 and 127 was orphaned a long, long time ago. Polaroid (both sheet and pack formats) a while ago. Polaroid slide abandoned before really getting started with it (what a disappointment... but that might not count in this thread since I no longer have the processing equipment). 620 -- actually re-rolled 120 -- abandoned recently but might come back to be an interest of mine.

Other than that, I still shoot 35mm, MF and 4x5 as appropriate to the situation.

23. robbalbrecht

robbalbrecht Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My most orphaned format? Digital. :cool:

Since I started shooting film almost 5 years ago I haven't had any interest in shooting anything but 35mm and 120 film.

24. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    6x4.5. I picked up a pair of A16 backs for the Hasselblads on a whim a couple of years ago and have rarely used them. While the 35mm transparencies paled beside the "super-slides," I still prefer the slightly larger square transparencies of the 6x6. I love the 6x6 format: the challenge of seeing/shooting/printing (full-frame) in an unconventional format (at least in the opinion of those who argue that pictures are either vertical or horizontal in orientation) were the primary reasons behind my decision to go with the Hasselblad system. Maybe, though, it's time to revisit the 6x4.5...:D

25. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So do I. I wish I had saved up a bit more and bough an SQ instead of an ETRS.

I'll swap an ETRS for your Hasselblad!!!

Steve.

26. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Humm, just got my Mamiya 645 and reading all this. I admit I was thinking it would largely supplant both my Yashicamat and, once I had a few lenses, my 35mm, but I think it's too large to do either. The Yashica is far handier to carry around even including the light meter I have to carry (and my Luna Pro SBC is not a small meter) and likewise it's too big to fully replace the 35mm gear. But I'm still thinking I'll like it for the combination of interchangeable lenses, some automation (AE prims finder and winder grip) and medium format with interchangeable backs.