Your most recent toy/plastic camera purchase

Discussion in 'Instant Cameras, Backs and Film' started by zsas, Aug 25, 2013.

1. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've been searching theBAY forever for a BIN Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim and finally one appeared today with'a BIN at a reasonable price! Can't wait to see this 22mm lens rock-the-world :smile:

Any P&S scores at trift or garage-sailing or whatnot?

2. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  3. Two23

Two23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    LOL, a roll of film is worth almost what the camera sells for.

Kent in SD

4. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    TwoJordan - haaaa, here's one that is even better, bought both'a these to teach my twins photography for a buck apiece! That's even less than'a roll:smile:

[​IMG]

5. cl3mens

cl3mens Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Picked up three Holga 120's with defective shutters for 15 euro at Fotoimpex when I was in Berlin. Now I've got a 120CFN with working 1/100 shutter and a 120N with a pinhole thanks to a little frankensteining. Plus another lens which I modified the aperture on (something like f/8 now). A friend got the third camera in pieces (a 120FN with broken flash and bad shutter), we'll see what he makes of it. Got two expired Provia 100F from him. Pretty neat! :smile:

6. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got this one earlier this summer, a custom job Holga Pano from Randy at. Holgamods.com.

Only put one roll thru but have not printed or scanned the negs yet...

[​IMG]

7. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi, Nice camera! I like Holgamods.
    I recently saw this model for the first time and wonder how it is. Could you post some images when ready?
    How did it handle?

8. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    no, I I had Lucky in it, so it was worth three rolls of film :smile:

9. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What a great camera Richard! You gotta post a scan'a one when you get your film back!

10. Nathan Riehl

Nathan Riehl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    IMG_2420[1].JPG

Picked up this little "beauty". It's the best condition I've ever found a thrift store toy camera in. 50mm f/6 lens, plastic viewfinder (as usual on these kind of things), and a hot shoe. It came with a leather strap and a little plastic/leather case as well. The lens stops at f/6 (cloudy), f/8 (partly cloudly), f/11 (sunny), and f/16 (sunnier).

I haven't finished my roll of film yet, but I'll upload some photos once I do. I have an expired roll of 36 exposure Kodak Ultra Gold (100 ISO) loaded into it.

11. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only took one roll, and it was quickly and with boring subject matter on my commute! Anyway, here are a few from that roll. It handles like any Holga just BIGGER. This is some Tri-X developed in HC-110.

West Berkeley HolgaPano KodakTri-X HC-110dilH 9min 20C 30secAg2x 2013-08 VSmac 4990 Scan-130828-.jpg

West Berkeley HolgaPano KodakTri-X HC-110dilH 9min 20C 30secAg2x 2013-08 VSmac 4990 Scan-130827-.jpg

West Berkeley HolgaPano KodakTri-X HC-110dilH 9min 20C 30secAg2x 2013-08 VSmac 4990 Scan-130828-.jpg

12. agnosticnikon

agnosticnikon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got a Loreo lens in a cap and a Holga dslr lens together off ebay. The Loreo, from what I understand has a 35mm fixed focus three element plastic lens that is supposed to give unimpressive results. It also has a waterhouse type wheel with apertures from 5.6 to 64. (64 being equal to a pinhole on this small lens) Looks like fun. The Holga lens looks to have been crudely modified in the back. I'm not sure what the plate behind the lens is supposed to be, but this has a raggedly cut hole in it about 3/16 diameter. Looking through the lens on the camera, the image is a little dark, but focus looks good. (well as good as it get with a Holga) I have no idea what the actual aperture is at this point though. Guess it doesn't make too much difference, it's all about experimentation anyway.

13. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Nice work, thanks for showing. I like the Bread Truck.
    I like the panorama format, so I'll get we one of those cameras as well. I already have the Holga panorama pinhole camera.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. cscurrier

cscurrier Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My wife's friend gave me a Holga 120 recently. She found it in a free pile outside some apartments. Works for me! Just squeezed a roll of 35mm in it, still need to get it developed to see how it fares.

16. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Richard I love that frame of the "eternal"! The lens is soft enough that it turned the fire hydrant into a white poodle (in my mind's eye).....

Joy, bliss, surreal images! Keep em coming!

@cscurrier - haaaaa what a great find! Look forward to yer feelings re the new rig after your first roll!

Never owned a plastic 120, not sure I will but had I seen that Holga in that heap'a goods in front'a that apt, I'd be on my mantel for sure! Things like that need to be saved'n appreciated. Glad you got it movin again!

17. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These cameras are pretty ubiquitous though it's hard to find two with the same name. Check out my Flickr group:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/color-optical-lens

18. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Nice group! When is a camera "eligible"? When it's plastic, the lens is a 50 mm and named "color optical lens"? (sounds like fun collecting)

19. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have an Imperial Debonair "toy" medium format camera made by the Herbert George Company of Chicago, Illinois. It takes 120 film respooled onto 620 spools. I estimate it's probably about 50 years old or so. It still works and takes decent pictures outside. Haven't tried it with a flash indoors as it takes flash bulbs. I've thought about a bank of LEDs though for a supplemental light source instead of a flash. It looks like this one http://www.etsy.com/listing/1292161...=vintage_low&gclid=CI2krPnLpbkCFc5FMgod4DkAag except it's maroon and has fewer scratches on it. I dare to say it's "Minty" :whistling:

There is another version of this camera (only the decals are different) that was the official Cub Scout Camera.

20. pgomena

pgomena Member

Not exactly the definition of "toy," but I recently purchased an Agfa Clack that I found on Craigslist for a few bucks and put into good working condition in an hour or so of tinkering with a decades-dry shutter. I've run a couple of test rolls through it and will know how good/bad the images look when I get into the darkroom.

I like it so much I found another cheap Clack deal on e-Bay and am awaiting its arrival. I plan to covert it to a pinhole camera. These are pretty ideal for a quick Frankencamera adaptation.

21. JohnRichard

JohnRichard Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Picked up a Canon Snappy S for $1.59. Does that count as a toy? 35mm/f4.5 fixed.

22. cl3mens

cl3mens Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    pinholga.JPG

I took my new pinholga mentioned earlier out for a spin today. Didn't measure the pinhole but guessed it would be around f/170, and the negs look good. Could probably be closer to 200-220, but hey.. HP5+ in Rodinal 1+100 for 45 minutes gives you quite a lot of wiggle room when it comes to exposure. I did bracket a scene at the beginning at f/100, f/170 and f/250 and they all look good. The f/100 one is a bit thin.

Can't say much before they are printed, but they look as sharp as a holga lens..

23. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes and no. That's explained a little bit in the group's description. If you've handled one or more of these, the answer is you'll know one when you come across it. One thing common to all of them, however, seems to be a chunk of lead inside the bottom of the camera.

24. verian

verian Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently picked up a Diana F+ and a Diana mini, with a flash that works for both. I've loaded them with film, will post some results when I've finished them.

These are rather expensive things for what they are (mine weren't I bought them used) and the original price tag might put them on the borderline of being excluded from the idea and spirit of 'toy' camera.

25. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Disney "Prinzessin Kamera". Originally packed.
    Obviously it does not take film but a must-have...

26. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Are you kiddin ?