Your opinions on which film camera to sell?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Graham_Martin, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Graham_Martin

Graham_Martin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I currently own two Nikon DSLRs, two Nikon film (F100, FM2) and a Mamiya 645. 90% plus of my shooting is digital, and I use the film cameras when I want to take a more deliberate approach. I really don't need to keep three film cameras. My dilemma is which camera to sell. I am leaning toward selling the Mamiya for the following reasons:

1. I very rarely have very large prints made
    2. Lab processing of MF film is more expensive than 35mm
    3. 35mm film is easier to find than 120 or 220 (although I have about 30 rolls still in my fridge)
    4. I can use the same Nikon lenses, except G, on all my Nikon cameras
    5. The Nikon film cameras are lighter to carry than the Mamiya

About the only real advantage to keeping the Mamiya seems to me is the greater image detail afforded by the larger negative.

Do these arguments make sense? I would be interested in hearing differing opinions.

2. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably make sense for you. For me it might depend on what my lens collection was like. I have a Mamiya 645 Pro and thought it might supplant much of 35mm but so far it hasn't, mainly because I have only the one normal prime lens for the Mamiya. I find I still use my Yashicamat more than the 645.

OTOH, your reason for shooting film is to take a more deliberate approach and MF gives you that more than 35mm which is much closer to digital in shooting speed. (My 645 with its winder and 15 shots per roll or 30 on 220 isn't all that "deliberate" though - when I want deliberate the 4x5 comes out.)

Depending on which Mamiya you have it may or may not take interchangeable backs. I find that, or multiple 35mm bodies, invaluable for having different film available. I normally care three 35mm bodies when I'm shooting 35mm. I could do fine with one if I didn't want to have different kinds of film loaded and ready. So if yours is the earlier 645 system without interchangeable backs, that's another reason to sell it and keep the Nikons - you can have a couple of kinds of film loaded in the two bodies and switch at need with the same lenses. That matters a lot to me but might not to you.

3. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I wouldn't sell any.

I use 4x5 and 120 more these days, I have my desire for high resolution to blame for that.

So I would keep the medium format for sure.

I would sell 35mm first, but not if I only had two bodies and a variety of lenses that fit. One body goes out and you are stuck.

Stay put.

4. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I were forced to sell one of my three remaining film cameras, I would sell the extra 35mm body. That way, I would still have one small format body and one medium format body.

In your case, you would sell the medium format camera because you are already leaning in that direction, plus, in your user profile, even though you belong to three medium format groups and one 35mm group, you identify yourself as a 35mm shooter.

5. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon G-lenses can be used with the F100 (FX at least but I know people who use DX lenses too) so I'd leave this one. FM2 is also a nice addition for foul weather situations.

6. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you only use film for more "deliberate" shots, then I'd definitely stick with MF. In terms of print size, if you never go beyond 10x8, then may as well just stick with 35mm. In that case, I'd keep the FM2, just because I prefer older cameras generally.

7. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You almost answered yourself in the form of the question - Let that help you decide - Ignore all opinions on APUG apart from mine

8. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it were my camera bag and I had to lighten the load so to speak, I would part company with the F100. If you're running with two DSLRs I'm speculating one of them is full frame and the other is a cropped sensor, you have the whole autofocus, high speed side of things covered. If you truly want to slow down then the FM2 and the 645 will do that for you. Contrary to popular opinion medium format film is still readily available from the usual suspects. Granted if this was really my kit I would get rid of the 645 too and go 6x6 square.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unless you're desperate for the money I wouldn't sell any of them.

10. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

11. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be contrarian here and suggest you sell the 645 according to the logic you've laid out. It does have a bigger negative, but it's not that much bigger. IMHO you aren't getting the benefits of MF that you might with a 6x6 or 6x7 camera. In general, your Nikon lenses easily make up the difference in image quality that the 645 gives you.
    Not that the 645 is a slouch, they are fine cameras, but if you're looking to simplify, downsize, generate some money, whatever, if it's not filling a need, there is no harm in moving on.

It's not like there are no other MF cameras you could buy in the future, if you're inclined. There are all sorts of directions you could go in to use your 120 film stash. For example, folders, holgas, 645, 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9's of all sorts are waiting to be tried out.

12. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree - you have kind of already answered you're own question.

If it were me, though, I would keep the MF, the most versatile of the two film camera's and sell the other.

13. Graham_Martin

Graham_Martin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you for all your great responses. In answer to Roger Cole, I have the Mamiya 645 1000s which does not have interchangeable backs. Although I haven't found that to be a major issue I have occasionally rushed to finish off a roll so that I can put in a different type of film. Between the F100 and the FM2 I enjoy using the latter more.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If 90% PLUS of your work is already digital then sell all the film cameras. Just be more deliberate with your digital work. If you're satisfied enough with it for more than 90% of the time you should be able to do that .

16. Graham_Martin

Graham_Martin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    While I have no doubt that I could be satisfied enough to use digital 100% of the time, I liken my situation to one who has two or three cars. While they may use their sedan/SUV for 90% of their driving they sometimes enjoy taking the stick-shift convertible or 1957 Chevy out for a spin. The SUV is the most practical, but the other two make for a more satisfying driving experience.

17. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think we have just found the post of the year! Made me smile :smile:

18. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last thing I consider my photography to be is practical. In that case then pretend you were being forced to live on a deserted island for twenty years and could only take one film camera. Which would grab if you had 30 seconds to decide? Sell the other two. "Let's go! We have to leave now! Just grab one!"

:smile:

19. Graham_Martin

Graham_Martin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would take the FM2.

20. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Sell that F100 and bank the $$

21. Richard S. (rich815)

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    F100 on KEH for $170-$230 or so. Not going for such big bucks anymore.....this is why I've been keeping most of my older cameras. Barely worth selling.

22. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I sold my Mamiya 645 years back, didn't like it. My main cameras are a FT2 Nikkormat and a Micro 4/3rd's. I say sell one DSLR and keep only one Nikon film camera, and it doesn't have to be something you have now. Trade down maybe to a more manual version.

23. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Graham,

With how little film gear is going these days, it might not be worth selling anything, unless it's absolutely mint. My latest FM2n was a camera I got for $60. It's not in the greatest condition, but is completely useable. If I were going on KEH's scale, I'd probably rate it at the low end of BGN grade. Almost ugly.

-J

24. Graham_Martin

Graham_Martin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think there is a lot of truth to the comments that it is hardly worth selling film gear for the little amount one can get for it. I'm sure there are some exceptions such as Leica and Hasselblad. A lot of good manual focus glass seems to be either keeping its value or, in some cases, actually increasing. A case in point would be the Nikon 500mm f/4 P.

25. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep the camera(s) that help you produce your most satisfying work?

Ken

26. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Turn on, tune in, drop out. Sell the dslrs and buy a 4x5. If you're addicted to pixels, buy a scanner too. :munch: