your stocking habits

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Ed_Davor, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Ed_Davor

Ed_Davor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How much film do you stock in the freezer?
    What's your avarage number of rolls you stock up of one film?
    And how long after expiring date do you usually use film at worst?

Also which film do you feel most greedy about when it comes to buying supplies?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As much as I can afford and fit. I've got some efke 100 which expired in 2005, but I'll keep shooting it until it's all gone.

Gotta hoard anything that is on sale :smile:

3. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a refrigerator dedicated to my film and paper. I always look for bargains and stash them till I can use it.

4. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm partial to fishnets, oh wait that's the other forum!!! I stock up when I can and currently have about 600 sheets of 4x5 FP4+, 100 rolls of 120 FP4, and 50 rolls of 35mm Neopan 400. I also have on hand some assorted 8x10 film and some 7x17 Efke 100 for a new camera that's being built. When it looked like Forte might go out of business I bought all the 11x14 Polygrade I could find and have that stashed away to. I don't worry too much about expiration dates and have never had a problem with film going bad. Sometimes paper that was stored too long has had a high level of fog, but not often enough to be a big problem. Richard Wasserman

5. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I currently have 400 rolls of Velvia that were commercially sold, 12 bulk rolls of velvia, 500 rolls of provia, 600 rolls of NPS, 400 rolls of portra 160 VC 200 rolls of Portra 160 NC, several dozen rolls of bulk B&W film and a 22 cubic freezer dedicated to film, several hundreds of sheets of 4x5 in both B&W as well as color print and slide film, if I know it has been stored properly and I continue to store it properly at freezing, I don't worry about it...oh I forgot, I have several hundreds of rolls of 120 and 220 film as well...

Now do me a favor, DON'T LET MY WIFE READ THIS MESSAGE!!!! Yikes

:D

Dave

6. ggriffi

ggriffi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yoy got the right idea, Jeremy. :smile: I don't buy on sale so much as I buy when I have the money. :D Right now I have 105 rolls of various brands of 35mm, 3 - 100' roles of 35mm ,4 -50' roles of 35,1 roll of 120,7 rolls of 110, and 19,yes,19 boxes of various 4x5 film. I am sure that other of you probably have a whole lot morte than I have. That doesn't count the 30 or so roles that I am going drop off for the students at the community college that I went to in St. Louis before I moved.

g

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2006
  7. ggriffi

ggriffi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

See, even before I posted someone already has more. Dave, I thought I got an evil eye when I say to SWMBO " Honey, can I have a couple of hundred for film?". You are really living on the edge. :tongue:

Ed, In response to your other questions The only film that I have really "stocked up" on is panf in 35mm and provia and astia in both 35 and 4x5. The rest is kinda a hodge podge of things ranging from a roll of 25 Kodachrome, 1 roll which I will use some day, to ilford 3200. I guess if there was one product that I will buy several more boxes is adox 100 next time I order from jandc. I probably won't being buying much more 35 since I have started using 4x5. I don't really worry about expiration dates unless it is somewhere or something I will never get the chance to photograph again.

g

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2006
  8. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening,

I have several hundred sheets of copy film in the freezer, plus a modest assortment of different 35mm and 120 color films. Somewhere at the bottom of the collection, I may even have a few rolls of Pan-X from about thirty years ago.

Konical

9. Bill Mobbs

Bill Mobbs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lets see, I have Three rolls of FP4+, one roll HP5+, one roll Neopan 400, one Neopan 1600, one roll Tri-X all in 35MM, then two rolls FP4+ and one roll Pan F+, one roll Neopan Acros, and two rolls FP4+ all 120 size. Oh yes, one roll of something in the freezer... I forget what it is. I make a lot of photographs and save very little film.

Best regards,

Bill

10. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gary,

It is an illness, there is no cure, I just can't help myself, when my friends go digital, and sell me their film, a good majority of what I have on hand came from people I know that changed to digital, and a bunch of it came from one of the local stores that went out of business and offered it to me for 90% off of retail prices, so I basically stoled it, I also bought all of the Chemicals they had in stock when they went out of business, I have a bunch of bottles of Microdol as well as lots of dry chems also..

It was pretty funny the other day, the wife went to move some things and busted a bag of fixer and couldn't figure out what the "Powdered" viniger was used for!

D

11. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tell me Dave, has your wife failed to notice the 22 cubic feet thingy you seem to cherish, and visit every night, calling it "my pressshhhius?" You need to be careful the next time she buys ice cream!

12. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The freezer is in my shop, which she don't visit during the winter months, its in the back part of the shop, but now that spring is comming, I may have to come clean! anybody got and extra room to spare, I might need a place to stay for a while!

:D

Dave

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't stock up, I don't have room for an additional cupboard, much less an additional refrigerator or freezer!

All the space allocated to me is taken up by camera and darkroom equipment!

Now if I could just figure out a way of convincing my wife that a refrigerated pottery film storage facility was just perfect for her, I might be able to get away with it!

Matt

P.S.

Does anybody have a good argument to convince my wife that a Beseler 67C enlarger makes a fine decorative addition to any hallway?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I generally like to have a good 20 rolls of my favorite film on hand and I 'collect' various others on Ebay/forums/shops at good prices or sometimes even free. Almost all expired stuff, though...I keep very little unexpired film right now. I'm not doing anything for pay and I like the extra grain that the expired stuff gives me sometimes...though the 3 year old TMX that I have is still relatively low grain.

16. Paddy

Paddy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Isn't that one of those "retro" quartz halogens from Ikea??? :D

17. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My stocking is being controlled by suppliers that don't have an even inventory control and when the product is in it's impossible to stock up because the supplier limits the amount available. Then it's a wait of a year for another chance to acquire a stock. Times are indeed bad when it comes to acquiring a stock when you want a particular product.

I can't say I blame anyone for stocking up when possible, it's the only way to be prepared for work.

Where did all of that AZO paper go that Kodak reportedly produced but disappeared? It's that kind of practice that leads to hoarding; or may be a direct result of hoarding.

out of stock
    will be in soon
    limited quantities
    last run
    discontinuing at the end of the year
    low stock
    passed date

Currently I have a walk in freezer I rented in a warehouse that has Agfa, Kodak, Ilford, Fuji, Adox, Orwo, H&W; 35mm, 120, 220, all sheet sizes including odd dimensions just incase I decide to do say 3" x 27" pana.
    I have hundreds of thousands of rolls and sheets in both color and b&w.
    I have the same amount in paper including all the sizes, grades and surfaces.
    In a separate warehouse I have chemicals from all of the manufactures; every formula that was ever make is in large quantity. And Pigs can fly and I live on a tropical island...

Oh my God I've hijacked my own post!!!!!!!!!

18. ijsbeer

ijsbeer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    mmm what a big freezers you all have, i've got 15rolls of sensia 100 , some tmax 400 and 5 rolls of 120 hp5+. sometime;s I buy more but for now this is it. I don't have the money and freezerspace to stock large quantities of film maybe later I will begin my own warehouse.
    Greets RJ

19. argus

argus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About 200 sheets of 4x5 in TriX in the freezer. Those expired in 2000 but are perfectly usable.
    FP4 and HP5 in 4x5 and 13x18 are in the fridge.

G

20. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I usualy only keep 6-8 rolls (120) and two or three boxes of 4x5 on hand, which is enough to keep me going for a reasonable amount of time.

- Randy

21. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have about 4000 sheets of 4x5 B&W negative and chrome, 200 sheets of 8x10 and 250 sheets of 5x7. I have a film fridge/freezer too. Quote "Yikes!!"...EC

22. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use black stockings the most...... Oh sorry wrong forum :smile:
    No I mean I don't stock up. I just buy say ten film at a time and use them.
    I do have a freezer dedicated for the purpose and it contains films given to me, filmtypes I havn't got around to use and ods and ends.
    Cheers Søren

23. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    After ordering the film I have recently, I need to get a small freezer to put on the porch. My husband is tired of having film in the refrig/freezer.

24. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The bag of fixer contained sodium diacetate. You can buy it from places that sell spices and other condiments. It is what's used on salt and vinegar potato chips. It can be used as a convenient source of stop bath.

25. TimVermont

TimVermont Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Darkroom fridge with crisper drawers full of Agfa 120 film (B&W), shelves full of Agfa chems, beer on door racks. Freezer in barn full of sheet and roll film. Freezer in garage full of paper. Doesn't everyone live like this?

26. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    my fridge is pretty small and i don't have a bunch of room in it ... i have a little 8x10 and 120 + 35mm film in it ...
    i have the lion's share of my film on a shelf.
    some of it has been there for a long time and is very outdated ..
    and i haven't had any problems at all with it ... (b&w + color )