Your taking too long!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Shaggysk8, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is something I keep being told, only by the same person and who is not really a photographer. So if I am out with my 35mm I will stand around waiting for the right thing to unfold which can take it's time, and if I go out with the medium format with filters well I can stand around for ever.

Is this normal am I taking a long time, am I rubbish at what I am doing for it, or does it not really matter and take as long as I like?

Paul

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are the photographer and you are shooting for yourself. No more need be said unless it SWMBO with a bladder problem then it might be wise to acquiesce.

3. Hikari

Hikari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hope it is not a close friend. But you have answered your question--he/she is not a photographer. There is only one person I can have around when I photograph. Fortunately, she said yes when I popped the question.

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Assuming you aren't working in the pro world and dealing with deadlines and customer expectations, how long you spend for a shot depends on your working style and what you're looking to accomplish.
    If you're looking the right light to happen or some other condition you aren't controlling, there is not much else that can be done.
    OTH a bit of fast work training can be helpful for those situations where you must deal with rapidly changing conditions to get the shot you're after.

If you have an impatient observer, you can always tell them you'd like to explore the setting further, and send them up the road and arrange to catch up later.

5. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Paul, It's all about You !

Take your time, and do what you gotta do.
    Whomever is being impatient with can get a DigiSnapper,
    and do their own thing ...

Happy Images !

6. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd rather shoot ONCE and have it the result I want, rather than 10 times and have none. Snap shooters don't understand this. We have a certain image in our mind (pre-visualization) and "they" don't.

I shoot anything from digital to 35mm to Medium Format and using TLR. My "trigger happiness" decreases in this order and image count also decreases. Yet, happiness with result rate is actually higher using the latter equipment. I slow way down and compose more. I think there is a less in this for me.

7. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'll loan you a 5x4 - That will silence any complaints when you go out again with a 35mm outfit. :D

8. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think this is a quite normal thing when you go out with a friend who isn't a photographer. You're going for a nice walk, say, to the next village over for a beer or two and then back. You're going to be stopping and pausing all the time but the friend just wants to get on with it and have a nice drink.

9. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is a solution which will be to both your satisfactions. Don't take that person with you!" Seriously though, it is clearly frustrating for that person and presumably for you as well. Any compromise on either of your parts leads to discomfort for one or the other.

pentaxuser

10. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hahahaha......thanks Paul!!!

Well this person is close to me, and I find it hard to explain myself to them and they don't except that it just is this way, I have not meant it to be like this it just seems that it takes longer.

I just go out on my own now!

But then find if we go somewhere I might want to take my camera miles away because I won't always go there I just can't take my cameras.

Oh well!!!!

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh dear. My pedantic side has to make an appearance.

You're, not your!

And yes, it's normal.

Steve.

12. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My wife always brings something to read and I'm patient when I'm with her when she is shopping. If convenient I do my photography alone.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

13. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I stood out in the blizzard today with my speed graphic doing some handheld photos in the downtown. I focus with the ground glass, close the metal hood, put the film in, review settings, cock the shutter, pull the darkslide. Then I stood motionless for about 3-4 minutes looking through the viewfinder waiting for a person to walk into a particular part of the composition. The snow and wind was so nasty, almost nobody was out and about walking. Normally, someone would walk where I wanted every few seconds and cars and trucks would be where I didn't want them. Finally after a lonnnnnggg wait, I saw what I needed happening and took the photo.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Man, I have pretty much sworn off snow photography after last year. And yesterday has only served to bolster my resolve.

No, I pretty much venture out solo because anyone who would go with would grow very tiresome at the 20+ minutes I generally take to make an exposure. And there are usually more than one.

16. Bruce Watson

Bruce Watson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Come photograph with me sometime. When I'm using the 5x4, about the best I can do is 20 minutes from start of setup to end of tear down. Much more normal is 30-45 minutes (if it's a tricky shot or conditions are challenging like yesterday's cold and 8 inches of fresh snow). On top of that I've been known to wait for hours to get the right combination of light, wind, etc. to allow me to capture what I want.

I spent most of yesterday out photographing as the big East Coast storm was winding down. Exposed a whopping five sheets of film in five or six hours of faffing about in the snow. If you'd been with me no doubt it would have been you saying that I take (much) too long! :wink:

17. Christopher Walrath

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Snow photography is for the young and the touched-in-the-head. I ain't twenty anymore. And, contrary to popular belief, I ain't that touched in the head.

18. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve, what took you so long ?

Ron

19. Hikari

Hikari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Next time just show your friend the expiration date on the box and film and say you have plenty of time. Of course, if you use expired film...

20. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I completely agree with this. Fortunately or unfortunately, I do my best work alone. I'm able to stop, go here/there, and take as many photos as I want of what I want.

21. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is only one correct reply: Piss off!

22. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My wife is very good about hanging out while I shoot. She usually brings a book. Winter though, is another matter. I do the snow scenes solo to avoid conflict and frankly, her comfort. I doubt she would go for standing around in snow. :smile:

23. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For me, the person concerned is my wife, so this response is definitely not the one I would choose.

My wife refers to my photographic routine as "futzing" - but she is generally very supportive unless we are working to a schedule.

24. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I married an artist. She can spend couple of hours on a single clump of wildflowers, so my problem is finding enough subjects for the 4x5 within shouting distance!

25. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    pendant: heal thy self and look to who is "takling..."
    :tongue:

26. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those who are, always think they aren't.:wink: