Zeiss has new 28mm for Canon in the line-up

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Rob Skeoch, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Zeiss keeps adding lenses for the Canon EOS mount to their line-up. This past week they added the Distagon 2/28mm ZE at $1080.

This brings the total in the Canon mount to five lenses including the Distagon 3,5/18mm and 2,8/21mm added last week.

The lenses should be in stock in November.

-rob

2. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't been following the news about Zeiss lenses for the EOS lens mount. Do these lenses have full compatibility and autofocus function?

3. Solarize

Solarize Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They have full compatibility except for autofocus. If you can live without it, they look very nice indeed - mainly metal.
    Ciaran

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They should have focus confirmation, though, if your camera body does that.

I've been using the Zeiss 35/2 Distagon in M42 screw mount (ZS mount), and I've been very pleased with it. You can get an M42 mount that's chipped for EOS from a few of the Hong Kong dealers that supports focus confirmation. I decided to get it in M42 mount instead of waiting for the EF mount version, so I could use it on my FD and EOS bodies.

5. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I wonder if the new Zeiss lenses are affecting Canon's sales of its premium-priced "L" glass.

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I doubt it. A lot of Canon shooters are loyal to the brand and can't understand why anyone would give up autofocus, particularly given the price of the lenses. Zeiss optics for Canon would seem to be a real niche product.

7. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yes, I sort of got the sense that Canon and Nikon shooters were sort of fanatical about their loyalty.