Zeiss has stopped making the Zeiss Ikon

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Rob Skeoch, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have two of the new Zeiss Ikon's in stock, both black. It looks like this will be the end of the line for this great rangefinder.

I was using mine for street photography just this week. You can see the blog here... http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.ca/2012/12/street-photography-with-zeiss-ikon-and.html

This is the notice I received this week from Zeiss.....

Dear Zeiss Photo Dealer,

Please note, a decision has been made to discontinue the Zeiss Ikon Camera. There is a limited amount of stock on hand, after which the product will no longer be available. We will continue to provide spare parts and service on the camera for the immediate future. This decision also effects the various spare parts for the camera body, such as the camera strap, side grip, camera case and the diopter lenses. These accessories are only available while supplies last.

This decision reflects the ongoing transformation from film to digital capture. While sales of the camera have remained steady over the last several years, it is no longer feasible to continue manufacturing the product.

Carl Zeiss remains committed to manufacturing the ZM lens series and as indicated at Photokina, we will develop at least one new high speed, prime lens during 2013. More information about this product will be announced in the coming year.

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What a shame.

3. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    In this economy (U.S. and Europe), a high-cost film camera becomes a luxury. Another sign of the times, I suppose. At least, Zeiss doesn't have the cost of trying to shut down an entire camera making operation, as it did with Zeiss Ikon in the 1970s.

Perhaps, it's time to look at picking up a second body.

4. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sad to hear that I wonder how cosina is doing after all the ZI was their baby.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By the time I get around to it, I will not be able to buy a new one.

6. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Progress. •snort•

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought production stopped in 1972? These new ones were made by Cosina in Japan.

8. rolleiman

rolleiman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Another victim of an impatient, instant gratification society, whose lives are seldom touched by real quality.

9. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Sadly, by the time my spring camera allowance arrives, the remaining supply will have ended up in the hoarder's ...er collector's... cabinets.

10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hate to hear that.

Jeff

11. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And who even more seldom recognise real quality when they see it.

12. Someonenameddavid

Someonenameddavid Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Would there be anything to stop Cosina producing the same body with a Bessa name... For Less Money?

David

13. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought Cosina was already doing that (Bessa and Voigtlander lenses). Not sure if it is manufactured to the same standards as the Zeiss RF they made. Who knows.

14. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a Cosina SLR Body and it works like an tank. I am sure their Bessa have such a quality. But I cant live with Voigtlander lenses , they are ordinary and have a different weakness in each frame I have ever seen. They are cheap but I am not rich to an adventure , people goes to Safari or climb the mountains with lots of risk factors. I believe these lenses comes with an accident in the package. As someone says Leica is cheap for what it does.

15. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Patents, I would have thought.

16. silvergrahm

silvergrahm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's disappointing. I was hoping to one day own one. I wonder if theyll sell for more, or less once discontinued.

17. dazey

dazey Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Discontinued or not, my new (second hand) one is due to be turning up tomorrow :smile:

18. mervynyan

mervynyan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    ZI is and was in many ways less solid compared to Leica M. I had 2 ZI bodies and sold both of them later, while keep MP and M7 as my day to day body. I hope they can think about it and come out a digital m mount soon.

19. DavidBrunell

DavidBrunell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great camera, what a shame. Best viewfinder I have ever used in a rangefinder.

20. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi

Sort of but only part of story, Cosina are frequently a 2nd tier company, because they can do short runs for less cost that the 1st tier companies, and both Cosina and 1st tier company make more profit thereby. To do this both companies sign a detailed contract with loads of 'weasel' words, like not reproducing the design in any recognizable form for ten years etc. The wont be able to clone a RD/1 for their contract with Epson, they may not be able to do a digital M mount rfdr camera either.

The probable reason Zeiss selected Cosina is that the Japanese camera industry has pooled all its patents, so that any Ja company can use any Ja patent freely. So the Cosina 'ikon' is really a Ja ikon and Zeiss get a cheaper camera then they could have made themselves cause Cosina are good and both all the Zeiss and Ja patents are/were free. If Cosina were contractually free to make a clone they would need to pay Zeiss for the Zeiss patents, the resulting package wold have Cosinas 1st tier mark up and the Zeiss patent premium, probable only a little dearer then a Bessa M (say x1.2-1.5).

It is interesting to look forward to what Cosina will do next, all their kit is guite reasonable for the price, but second guessing is petty impossible without a detailed knowledge of the 'weasel' word constraints.

Cosina bought rights to use the Voightlander name to allow 1st tier sales, all my CV lenses have been are excellent performers, I sold 2x Lux 3x Elmarits, and a Super Angulon, cause there was not a detectable difference, apart from glow (sic flare) from a lux. I'm sure I'm going to be told that is just wrong, but my Leica lenses are just history, I had them all from new as well... my CV are beaten up used shooters...

Noel

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013