zeiss ikon ikoflex 1a

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by joe7, Dec 26, 2009.

1. joe7

joe7 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. r-brian

r-brian Member

They are very adequate cameras, just as good as a Rolleicord. The Tessar lens is a typical Tessar, decently sharp with the 'special' Tessar glow. The focusing screen is much brighter than a Rollei, they come with a fresnel installed. Depending on what the price is will determine if it's a good deal.

3. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I recollect that W. Eugene Smith used to use Ikoflex cameras during the WWII period -- he may have thought them preferable to Rolleis. I have two Ikoflex TLRs, and the one issue I've had is that the focus knob can loosen and may not re-attach very tightly. But I like the photos I've taken with it.

4. kwm

kwm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bougth this camera last year in Germany and payed 50 EURO for it. My camera needs a CLA.

I have a manual (afaik from butkus.org) The shutter is a bit tricky so read the manual pages several times before you start using this camera.

Karl

5. sswright87

sswright87 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ikoflex Coffeecan 850/16 (First Version)

I as well have had a vintage Ikoflex from the 1930s. I have never really been a fan of this camera just because it is so clumsy and heavy to use.

I actually inherited it from an Aunt who was stationed in Germany during the airlift and I guess this was one spoil of war. I've owned it for over 10 years now and had it refurbished about 8 years ago. It is fully functional and shows little wear.

I want to sell it on Ebay but not sure what to list it at. It doesn't have a case, or a manuel.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

6. trials2k

trials2k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I cant disagree more with this comment... no offence.

I just recently bought an immaculate Ib and although i havent put a roll through it YET, I consider it to be one of the most glamorous TLRs to ever be made. The optics on them have great reviews and being Zeiss, I would be sure it should be! The handling I find to be simple and balanced, the controls also aren't too difficult to get a grasp on, once you learn the process of course.

Buy it! and enjoy my friend :smile:

7. trials2k

trials2k Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    oh here is mine to show you how amazing they look! :smile:

[​IMG]

8. TBN

TBN Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a 1a for about a month ago, and already shot one roll with it.. (I have some pictures with it in my gallery).
    The condition is almost like it's never been used. The leather case looks brand new, and I paid about 50£ (82$) for it.

I found a manual online, and it can be a bit tricky the first time, to get to know the winding mechanism/film counter - but then it's as simple as that.
    It is my first medium format camera, and I must say, I love it ! It really draws attention when out shooting with it. :surprised:)

Go for it! :surprised:)

9. jnoir

jnoir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an early 855/16 (a.k.a IIa) with T-coated Opton Tessar but, since I prefer Schneider lenses, I don't use it that much. Nice camera, though.

[​IMG]

10. prumpkah

prumpkah Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Personal preference

This camera has its fans, and its appearance and the photos it can produce provide ample basis for respect. I had one, admired the look of it, but decided that its handling and ergonomics were emphatically not for me. Check out how you like the shutter release position, the operation of the hood and finder, the film loading and winding sequence, and the feel (smoothness, drag, travel) of the focusing. Also consider the shutter speed range and sequence (non-linear). It's a question of personal fit, true of any camera, but some designs are more user-friendly than others.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
  11. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What model is this one?
    If somebody could comment I would be grateful.

12. TBN

TBN Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pumalite:

Just need two more post, and then I have a link for you.. :smile:

13. TBN

TBN Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :surprised:)

14. TBN