Zeiss Ikon- Ikonta 521/2

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by seawolf66, Aug 6, 2009.

1. seawolf66

seawolf66 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Been trying to find out the exact info for my Ikonta 521/2 at a info site it states Ikonta 521/2 was made 1947 with a tessar lens or a Novar lens but with a prontor shutter 1-1/250 but mine is a Klio shutter 1-1/150 ; Serial # L 80051 [*] is a star) per this
    site http://www.wctatel.net/web/crye/z-i120.htm

Have I gotten a camera where someone switched the stuff around , or did get a original from the factory like this ?

thanks all your info and help, just to know what I have or do not have?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2009
  2. mightyomega

mightyomega Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From the information I have in the book Zeiss Compendium by Charles Barringer and Marc James Small (two of the leading experts in Zeiss Ikon trivia), the 521/2 was manufactured with the Novar lens and Klio shutter in 1948 and 1949.
    Zeiss-Ikon cameras were often offered with different combinations of lenses and shutters at different prices. The Klio shutter and Novar lens were the bottom of the Zeiss shutter/lens line, while the Tessar lens was more expensive (and has a bit of a legendary reputation). The same goes for the Prontor shutter, it had a wider range of shutter speeds (up to about 1/200), and the top of the line was the Compur shutter, which went as high as 1/500 in some versions.
    Despite its position at the bottom of the Zeiss line, the Novar lens (in my opinion) still turns out excellent photos, especially when stopped down a bit.

3. seawolf66

seawolf66 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    mightyomega: Thanks for the info on my camera :

4. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have an Ikonta B (523/16) with a Novar in Prontor and am amazed at the quality of the lens. My profile picture was made with this camera, using Fuji Reala.

Ed