Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta ... anyone have or use one ? thanks!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jnanian, Nov 28, 2005.

1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i think i might have found the solution to my problem!

after scouring ebay listings for a few days, i came across a mf camera i had forgotten about - the Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta!

i won't be fumbling around looking down instead of up, old-glass ( my favorite!) and maybe within my budget, plus i don't have to sell it afterwards, cause it looks so cool :smile:

anyone have experience with this puppy ? or have a "user" to sell ?

- john

2. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, fellow. :smile: The format, however, ranges from 4,5x6 to 6x9 (and over with rollfilms not available since decades). Which one are you looking for? Which information you need?

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, I had a rangefinder coupled Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta B w/ the 80mm f/2.8 Tessar lens Would have been the absolute perfect camera, but I couldn't put up with how small the viewfinder window was.

If you're still interested in a Yashicamat 124 let me know...

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi marco and jeremy

marco:

i was thinking of a a late, post-war 6x6 version that takes 120 film + has a tessar 2.8 // 80mm. is it easy to manage ? they look pretty sweet, but you never know until you use one if it is intuitive, or a pain to use.

jeremy:

i'm use to the mini-view ( been shooting with a leica lately :smile: )
    the yashica is fun, but i'm too much of a klutz these days to look down and
    walk at the same time. ( i don't chew gum anymore either :wink: )

aside from the viewer being tiny, any issues you had with it ?

tanks
    -john

5. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Super Ikonta IV (the last of the line, I think) and I love it. Easy to use, sharp lens and very compact.

6. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, I also have a Super Ikonta IV. It is a really nice camera, very compact and easy to use. It produces beautiful chromes and negatives.

7. Kevin Roach

Kevin Roach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just got an ikonta 521 in the mail today.It's not a SUPER, no rangefinder. But it is the cutest little thing. It's a 645 and about the size of a kodak retina. Very nicely made. I think I'll go try it out now. BYE.

8. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, other than the small viewfinder I thought it was a blast to shoot with! If the viewfinder had been slightly larger it would still be my walk-around camera. The 80 Tessar is also a very sweet lens. I'll check my shelves and see if I have a print of an image shot with it and I'll drop it in the mail if you'll pm me your address.

-Jeremy

9. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John,
    I have a Super Ikonta III with an 80mm Tessar and agree with everyone else that it is a wonderful camera and really fun to use-I giggle every time I unfold it! Plus so far I haven't had anyone ask me if it's a Hasselblad...

Richard

10. colivet

colivet Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have the 6x9 model. Beware that most of these cameras will need a new bellows. Mine looked great but the leather kept on breaking up. I sent it out to the guy at certo6.com and got it repaired for $120. The lens is quite sharp and it seems to me it makes a great travel camera. I much prefer and SLR or a view camera maybe because I am used to them and by their design it is quite hard to forget to focus. Not so with the range finder...

11. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I owned the 6x6 Super Ikonta B with coated Jena lens. Some came coated, others didn't. The camera is quirky in that it only takes 11 shots on a roll, but there is a way to get two more shots out of it. The lens was very good. The rangefinders can have a habit of being rather poor although mine was pretty good and had decent contrast, but alot of them can be crap. Make sure you ask about that. Shutters can also get sticky in the low speeds and the high speed 1/400 can sometimes be a bear to dial into. Some shutters had synch, mine didn't. Make sure the bellows is good or you will spend more then then camera is worth to get it replaced. From what I remember the camera overall is heavier then my N80 with battery pack and body for body their very close in size. I sold mine off years back and don't regret it. Some people love them, but I think a mamiya 6x6 would be a better user.

12. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm another 521 user... No rangefinder, fold-up finder, but so what? Guess focus works just great with a little practice, the finder is big enough to see (and frame) through even with glasses, and the (coated) Tessar is wonderfully sharp. All that in a compact package smaller than most 35mm point-and-shhot cameras!

13. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi there John! I'm a 6x9 Super Ikonta user, of which I owned various models over the years, so I'm not of great help to you. For some strange fate, 6x9 and 4,5x6 models are very similar to each other, while 6x6 are things of their own. I can just confirm that the revolving-wedges focusing device is very effective if well tuned, and that Tessar lenses still rock. In my experience, "Novar"-type lenses are just as good, but since they're much less sought-after, a camera with a Novar lens may be a bargain.

It may be luck, but I've never had the bad experiences with bellows that someone reported. But again, I'm talking of 6x9 units.

Looking forward to read how you like these cameras! Regards, Marco.

14. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll confirm here. A ZI Nettar with a Novar lens is a great thing to carry at all times. Much lighter than the 521, a 518 or 517 is a nice carry about camera. I cannot believe a 521 Tessar is a much better lens.

That said, I would really like a Super Ikonta B but so far have not found one that wasn't trashed in my price range.

tim in san jose

15. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've owned several Super Ikontas in various formats. Most of the Super Ikontas will need to be restored. It's not a terribly difficult project, and it helps if you're familiar with the mechanics of the classic cameras and leaf shutters.

Regarding the bellows, of the many Zeiss Ikons that I've owned (50+), just one has had bad bellows. Zeiss Ikon used leather covered bellows, which have held up very well through the decades. Agfa cameras with the plastic-covered bellows, on the other hand, are notorious for developing pinholes.

Of all of my older cameras, the Zeiss Ikons continue to be my favorites, particularly the 6x9 models. The Super Ikonta B (6x6) can be a precision camera once properly serviced.

Hope you have fun in your search and hope you found a good one.

16. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Think about a Moskba 4 or 5 russian rangefinder - that'll give you 6x9cm negs, with a 6x6 option. It's a cheaper version, but probably just as good, as the Ikonta.

17. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, same here, Zeiss Ercona with Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 10,5 cm f/3.5 T* in Tempor Shutter, guess focus and fold up finder!
    Found in good condition, they are great tools!

Cheers

André