Zeiss Ikonta 531

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Jerevan, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought a nice little Ikonta, but what the photos didn't show on the auction site was that someone has been mistreating the poor little fellow. The lower part of the back has a riveted plate with a leatherette overlay. The camera works but the metal sticks a bit and makes it harder to open and close the back.

Want I want to know is if it would be best to superglue this? Would any outgassing of the superglue hurt the film base/emulsion? Would it be possible to re-attach it in some other (better) way?

Attached Files:

2. moki

moki Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Try to bend it to it's proper position first. I had something similar with my Beltica 35mm folder and was able to repair it with hammer, pliers and a bit of patience - no need to glue anything.

Anyway, the film won't get hurt. Just be sure to let it dry long enough, so excess glue doesn't glue the back shut permanently. I'd use as little glue as possible, put a clamp on it and let it dry for 2-3 days. That should be enough for any gases to dissipate, though I don't think they'd actually hurt the film in such small concentrations.

3. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, moki!

Someone already has taken a tool to it, but I am going to try the clamp and glue road and see if that fixes the issue a bit better.