Zeiss introduces the new 35mm F1.4 for Canon and Nikon

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Rob Skeoch, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I received a note from Zeiss today that they have released the 35mm F1.4 Distagon in both the Canon EOS ZE and Nikon ZF.2 mounts.

The cost for either lens is $1843. I have ordered one of each. Shipping is early 2011.

If you would like to order one you can contact me through my website.... www.bigcameraworkshops.com, or send me an email.

More info below...

OBERKOCHEN, September 1, 2010 – A woman is sitting at the bar of a dimly-lit cafe. Lost in thoughts, she doesn’t notice the glass of wine the bartender places before her. From a distance, a photographer tries to capture her mood. He brings her face, which is leaning toward her phone, into focus. Everything around her becomes a blur, and the lights in the background coalesce into a wild “dance” of diffuse shapes.

This shot will only work with a fast lens with short focal length and harmonious bokeh. Carl Zeiss introduces a new lens for just such images: the Distagon T* 1,4/35.

By introducing the Distagon T* 1,4/35, Carl Zeiss is complementing the Planar T*1,.4/50 and T*1,4/85 lenses with a wide-angle lens that shares the same high speed. Crisp, sharp images work every time, whether at dusk or in the weak lighting conditions of a café, and without the need for a tripod. With its 35-mm, the Distagon T* 1,4/35 matches the classic and versatile standard focal lengths when used on cameras with APS-C sensor formats.

Due to the special bokeh effects in both the foreground and background areas, the Distagon T*1,4/35 opens up new creative possibilities, giving photographers more options to ‘play’ with focus. Thanks to its large focus ring, photographers can also create highly accurate, sharp pictures, even at maximum aperture opening. This also makes the lens an ideal addition to the filmmaker using DSLR’s for HD video capture. In addition, the optical construction of the lens guarantees high image quality across the entire image range.

The Distagon T*1,4/35’s extremely long-lasting and robust all-metal precision mechanics, for which Carl Zeiss is known, make this lens perfect for use on-the-go and for photo reports.

The Distagon T* 1,4/35 will be available in first quarter of 2011 at a retail price of $1,843 USD.

Technical specifications
    Focal length 35 mm Aperture range f/1.4 - f/16
    Number of elements/groups 11/9
    Focusing area 0.3 m - infinity
    Angular field** (diag./horiz./vert.) 63/54/37 °
    Coverage at close range 18 x 12 cm (close-up)
    Image ratio at close range 1:5 (close-up)
    Filter thread M 72 x 0.75
    Weight 830 – 850 g
    Length with caps 120 – 122 mm
    Diameter 78 mm Mounts
    ZF.2 (F bayonet)
    ZE (EF bayonet)
    * As of September 01, 2010

2. Removed Account2

Removed Account2 Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    uhu, I thought it was FD mount, the new-fangled stuff the demands batteries to work, kinda leaves me cold.....

Think I'll stick to my original FD lenses, and buy a whole slew of *new/ camnera houses instead!

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Rob I'm sure this is a very fine optic, but I'll stick to my Canon FD 35mm f2 Thorium lens that's paid for and forgotten about.

4. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not that I disagree about FD stuff, but I'm not sure this snobbishness is really necessary. I'm sure these Zeiss lenses are 'out of this world' good.

But alas, I can't afford to even look at it....

5. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FD? Is that the old stuff? Or the fire department? :D

The 35/1.4 does look very interesting but I've got my eyes on the ZE50/1.4 first and then the 85/1.4. So it'll have to wait a bit.

6. 6x9

6x9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here, at APUG, it totally is necessary.

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shee-ite; that is expensive!

8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are these really 'new' lenses? Or just the same 35/1.4 Distagon they have been making since 1973 in a new mount?

9. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also my question...

I have a Rolleiflex one (with triangular aperture blades!), which I paid a tiny fraction of that price for, used.
    Almost worth getting a however unreliable Rollei body just to use it.

About the lens itself, it's my absolute favorite as far as look and signature go. Perhaps my "desert island" lens.
    Despite that, it doesn't get much use because it's huge and heavy.

10. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Expensive lens, I'm sure it's good, though. I don't need that stuff; I lack a 35mm but the 50 fares well.

Just get the other 35mm f2 that there's in the bag, pray, and hold your breath and arms well.

11. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it is the same one, it is a wonderful lens... and I can't imagine they would somehow make it inferior! I used to have one too, and I loved it. Big and heavy, yes, but also incredibly sharp and a powerful tool for low light photography. It was the lens that made me consider a 35mm as my "standard lens." With my SL35E, I could handhold it down to about 1/15 @ f1.4, which created some really wonderful photos.

Now if I only had a couple of thousand bucks....

12. agw

agw Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Apparently it's a completely new design. The new one is 11/9, while the original C-Y was 9/8 (including one aspheric lens). Also, the new one has a much longer body.

Unfortunately, I don't see the need for a need for a fast 35 in my kit, it's just neither wide nor long enough. I used to say that about the 50, but things have changed for me recently, since I can now much better visualize the view I get with a 50. Now, if they were to introduce a 1.4 version of the 28 or 25...