Zeiss Nettar 517/2 viewfinder question

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by StigHagen, Jan 13, 2013.

1. StigHagen

StigHagen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I´m going to buy a Zeiss Nettar 517/2. I´ve heard the built in viewfinder is very smallish and wonder if I can use a 35mm seperate viewfinder in the hotshoe? The camera is 6x9 and since 35mm have same aspect ratio, a 35mm zoom finder could maybe do well? Can somebody suggest a nice viewfinder for such a camera?

What about parallex error, I guess that increases the more the viewfinder is above the camera, making the inbuilt more ideal?

Let me hear how you guys are using such an camera. I really like the price and the wonderful big negative, so I hope I can use the camera :smile:

2. StigHagen

StigHagen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or maybe a viewfinder magnifier would do...can any recommend a model that fits well on this camera? I have no experience in rangefinder cameras.

3. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You know the Nettar is scale-focus, not a rangefinder, right?

The 105mm lens is the equivalent of something like a 45mm lens in the 35mm format. It doesn't seem to be so easy to find a viewfinder in the normal range. Voigtlaender used to sell one but doesn't any longer, and I bet it costs a pretty penny if you find one. There's a Soviet turret-style universal finder that seems to run about US$100. Your best bet might be to try using the stock viewfinder for a while, and monitor eBay for a chance to get a 50mm viewfinder at a lowball price.

I've never used the 6x9 version, but I've found the finders on 6x6 Nettars to be usable as long as they're clean. They're small but not ridiculous.

-NT

4. StigHagen

StigHagen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes you are right, it is not a rangefinder. I have not seen the camera yet. I tried a Bessa II at my friends house today and found the viewfinder so small and dirty. My hope is that this model is a bit larger and more clean.

Do you use something to measure distance?

5. hgernhardt

hgernhardt Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Nettar 517/16 (6x6) which I use as my primary shooter. I've not had an issue with the viewfinder size. Of course, if you wear spectacles I would imagine it would be difficult to get a good view.

You will get less parallax from the built-in viewfinder. My Nettar does not have parallax correction framing, however, so it's always a bit of a guess for me. I generally try not to worry too much about it. 6x6 gives me so much negative that as long as I don't cut off the top of someone's head, I'm fine.

I've taken to a diagonal approach in portrait framing, though, so that usually isn't a problem. :smile:

I love my Nettar. Great images, big negative, simple, compact. My 6x9 user is a Voigtländer Bessa, but I'd love to have a 517/2.

Enjoy!

6. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sometimes; I picked up an old auxiliary rangefinder a while ago, and sometimes I bother to carry it along, sometimes not. It does help a lot with close-up and/or wide-open situations, but it takes some extra time to transfer the reading. They can be had cheap (bottom-feeding on eBay) and are worth having.

-NT

7. StigHagen

StigHagen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been looking for auxiliary rangefinder for this model. Any suggestions? Thanks :smile:

8. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I suggest that you look for an auxiliary rangefinder for this model. :smile: Seriously, all I did was keep searching eBay for "rangefinder" until one came up that I was able to lowball. I ended up with some unfamiliar brand that doesn't fit a standard hotshoe, which is a slight inconvenience but not the end of the world.

You do want to get a rangefinder that measures in the same units as your lens (Nettars exist in both "meter" and "foot" versions).

-NT