Zenit E - Shutter release not moving smoothly

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Cromlech, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Cromlech

Cromlech Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi everyone,

I am having some trouble with my Zenit-E :

Namely that the shutter release is not moving smoothly. Not only that, but the focal plane shutter will not "re attach" itself after the shot is made... Will this be a problem?

Here's a video to show what I mean, since I am bad with words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHbvn7Z39Qk

Thank you,
    Richard

2. R gould

R gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The film lever is not a big problem,a spring may have become un attached,but you could easily use the camera as you do, your big problem is the shutter curtains, they should connect and the film will be exposed to light all the time the curtains are like they are, in the U.K. I would suggest a camera repairer,but can't where you are, but if you want to use the camera it will need a trip to a repair shop, but I think they are plentiful and reasonably cheap, so if you want a Zenit I would look for another, possibly a later model, or if you have a collection of 45 thread lenses then a pracktica or old pentax spotmatic may be a better prospect,Hope this helps,Richard

3. Cromlech

Cromlech Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Richard:

How much do you think repairs would cost?
    I could always get an estimate at the local camera shop.

Richard

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess repair cost would not matter as you got the most rarest E-Version.
    As shown on your video the camera is complety inverted compared to a standard E-model.
    Even the type inscription is inverted...

5. Someonenameddavid

Someonenameddavid Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The "E" designation in Zenit-E comes from a Ukranian dialect word which means "paperweight"

David

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got an E. The design has ist quirks, but still I like. Good to know that I can drive a nail with it if needed.

7. Dali

Dali Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :laugh:

8. foc

foc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you are willing to do your own repair then you could look here http://http://tomtiger.home.xs4all.nl/.
    If not then just buy another one. Thankfully my Zenit came through Technical and Optical in London when it first came from the USSR. T&O checked each camera and didi repairs if needed, so their cameras were always in good condition even after all these years.

9. Dali

Dali Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I watched to video and if a have no clue regarding the advance lever, to me the shutter issue might come from a weak tension of the closing curtain. At least, I would try to go this way if I were you (it actually saved a Zenit 3M I owned years ago).

Take care.

10. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Richard. I think the general advice is to look for a new one. The repair cost is going to be much more than the cost of a replacement. Your lens will, of course, be fine if you get another body. Alex

11. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The problem is frequent with the Zenit. It is VERY frustrating to have a 'newish' camera and have that transport problem. I swear that sometimes the apron strings on the curtain are twisted or there might be debris near that transport. Many a $5 Zenit is now 'parts only' for me.

Engineering-wise, the design, though simple, is highly adequate. But the Soviet quality control was something that I really do not understand because that was the major reason it was not more of a success. The Soviets were trying to bring in hard currency and I do not understand why that Achilles' Heel was allowed to manifest.

And a success it would have been because in the 60s there were MANY countries with people who were very pressed for disposable income but vied for high quality photos. And the Zenit (with its high quality Helios) COULD deliver the results if only the bodies had actually worked.

Sorry for the hiatus: dad died yesterday and I am in Connecticut dealing with stuff. - David Lyga

12. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I hope you solve your problem, but the Zenith camera is the only one I know where you can look through the viewfinder and look round the surfaces of the pentaprism. Then when you wind on it sounds like two house bricks rubbing together.

13. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not always the 'house bricks', cliveh. I really and actually have held Zenits that worked smoothly. - David Lyga