Zenit E

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Kinetic, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Kinetic

Kinetic Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    My Zenit E has now stopped working.I do not know the insides of this camera, but all I can tell is that de mirror system stopped workind.When I click to take the picture it just sits there and I photograph the back of it and not what comes thru the lens.Can anyone help with an advice? I do not know at this time , where I can fix it.It's a camera from '74 and payed almost nothing for it from an antique fair.So to pay more to fix it doesn't sound too good. :/

Help me!

Best wishes,

Alex Cruceru.

Attached Files:

2. Someonenameddavid

Someonenameddavid Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    It has ceased to function, it is bereft of life, it has shuffled up the curtains and gone to join the "choir invisible". It is an ex-camera.(Monty Python.- you wanted the humour).
    I would not give it a moment's thought, but go out into the wide world and see what you can get for cheap. The Zenit E was selenium metered cheapest of the cheap non-TTL metering unsophisticated, built like the "battleship Potemkin " and a step down from the East German PrAkticas which I listed after in 1972. almost anything is better. (avoid Holgas and the execrable "Olympia" whichever seems to be sold by some sort of cult on Craigslist)
    Get yourself a nice, small SLR from t the late 70-s to early 80-s that takes silver oxide batteries minolta XG 7 and XD 11 can be had for a song sometimes and enjoy taking pictures. Meanwhile the Zenit can be a paperweight, Or hammer.

(the next poster will disagree and say that the Jupiter lens on the Zenit is a copy of the Zeiss bio on and has a unique Bokeh when Hp5 is developed for extended time in diluted Rodinal,,,, nuts.)

David

3. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    in before the next :cool:

chuck the junk

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't junk a camera until I was sure it wasn't suffering from old hardened and stiff lubricant. Naptha can do wonders to gummy components.

5. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Find another zenit body from online sellers and use your lens as much as you can. Helios 58 mm is one of the nicest lenses on the planet and as your photographs especially last one , it has a wonderful bokeh and special color rendition. Dont invest to toyotas but the country which sent first woman and man to the space and have ability to manufacture 45000 nuclear bombs , two times more than colonies.

6. Matthew Rusbarsky

Matthew Rusbarsky Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ditch the Zenit but keep the lens. I'm not sure what country you are located in, but here in the states SLRs with M42 mounts can be had very cheap. Start prowling the junk shops.

7. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I agree; keep the lens and look for another body. The Zenits were never known for reliability and the fact yours were for so long is a might amazing. Asahi/Pentax bodies are pretty bullet proof. Look for a nonmeter version S series as these are total tanks and seem to nearly never need servicing. If you want a camera with meter then the Spotmatic; also quite inexpensive. The Spotmatic also has a metering circuit that does not have the common mercury cell problem. These camera can be bought for far less than even a simple fix f a body by a repair person and the M42 lenses from Asahi/Pextax are still very good to excellent today and bargains.

8. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a small spring inside the chamber where the mirror travels and if somebody tweaked it, then that spring might end up unattached from the mirror end or the other way.
    You need to lift up the mirror to see if thats the cause of the problem. It is relatively easy to attach it back to the mirror, I have done it for friends who got curious and messed up their Zenits.
    In later models, if I am not mistaken, the spring is covered by a shield.
    Old Zenits are fine cameras with excellent optics. Most haters, obviously have experience with tweaked™ Zenits, so I don't mind reading funny stories from time to time :smile:

9. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I bought a factory new zenit et at 1990. I said russia was a cold place and this camera might survive at the freezer. I set the freezer minus 25 celcius , put the zenit inside and after 24 hours , it was working like new. Its an excellent camera and i believe someone might honor the lens with original body or opposite.
    I am not understanding the people who buy m6 leica and search for japanese lens. At least , it is nostalgia. At european online sellers , there are least 6 different and post soviet bodies and very cheap.
    May be www.kievusa.com helps.

ZENIT 122 Special Edition "50th Anniversary" Platinum (limited production)
    ZENIT 12XP
    ZENIT 212K
    ZENIT AM2 (Perfect for collectors! No warranty or returns)

These are very expensive prices but a guide for research. I believe you can find them 1/3 of the price.

10. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  11. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  12. Erik Petersson

Erik Petersson Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  13. Kinetic

Kinetic Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thank you guys for your advice.I do not want to anything to it.Not bad of course.I am from Romania, there are alot of old cameras in antique shops.I just have to look at some.The fact is that the camera had some problems, but I got over them.But this time, everything just started to die, not only that little spring that pushes my mirror up.All!

I am sad, the lenses are beautiful, it has such a nice dof , the grain that I get on the filme, everything.I sure would like to use them again , at leat with another camera or another body of a zenit e.One of the problems was that I left it in my bag, at the airport, the big bag I mean, the one that goes bellow in the airplane.And those pricks just toss your bag.This camera was made to be run over by tanks but not to be handled by morons at the airport or by me.
    The problem is I have no other camera to use at this time, I am very upset.
    I love that soviet cams site.There are some models there that I just dream to have.

This are some of the images captured with my camera: http://www.behance.net/gallery/No-purpose-in-light/2464661 . Just b&w, did not want colours anymore.

Best wishes,

Alex Cruceru.

14. Ottrdaemmerung

Ottrdaemmerung Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few months ago I bought on eBay a Zenit ET body for $12, shipping included! The selenium meter is not reliable, but otherwise it isn't a bad camera: very basic, with a disappointing selection of shutter speeds, but it simply does what any SLR should.

15. Kinetic

Kinetic Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    For now I just have no money.I agree, it does the job, with a nice dof and colours.

16. Unshredded

Unshredded Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There were millions of these produced. I would agree with Mustafa. Pick up another one online. I just got one online for $4.00 (just the body, that is). It'll be a lot cheaper than having it repaired.

17. Kinetic

Kinetic Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I will check over the internet.Do you guys have a site? I do not have an account on ebay and do not know others.

18. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Alex ,

Its time to register to ebay with your or parents credit card. I know its complicated to register paypal here in Turkey and I never been able to get confirmation number which would be sent by credit card report but may be you are lucky in your country.
    There are few very intelligent and wise Romanian and Bulgarian friends here and they reported camera selling business is driven by most expensive internet prices at usa and carried to your country.
    If you have no camera , I can send you a nikon point and shoot camera FREE , wonderful at infinity.

19. Kinetic

Kinetic Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Thank you for your offer, it is very tempting.I have one debit card, I can use it.But it's empty.Well, actually it is on minus with 5euro :smile:).I would love to find an old camera like mine two, to use it again, give some life back into it.And I just love their design, some are so sexy.
    You know how it is, you just cannnot put the camea down, you have to look at it and feel it in your hands.Maybe in the near future I will pe lucky to find a body of a Zenit in which I can fit the lens.Uffff, this week sucks big time.

20. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I agree Alex , zenits looks like military equipment.

Take care and try to find a job better pays. I am in the same situation. I can send nikon whenever you want.

Take care ,

Umut

21. Kinetic

Kinetic Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I appreciate your offer.I will think of it , of course.Thank you my friend.I sure want it. :smile:)

22. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    pm sent

23. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have Zenit Es that I use as paperweights and doorstops. I think they must breed, every time I check there seems to be another one. Prakticas, too.

Ok... what really happens is I buy a bargain M42 lens and the camera comes with it. They are completely worthless (not valuless - they take good pictures, but they have ZERO monetary worth).

I would willingly give you one for free, but alas I am in the UK and the postage to Romania would be worth much more than the camera!

Hunt around - I am sure friends / neighbours / family will have a Zenit in the basement or loft somewhere. Everyone has...

24. Kinetic

Kinetic Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    That is true.I have to look around , too bad that antique market was outside, not in a enclosed place.I will search, I just need to have some little money.For now I have nothing, like really nothing :smile:).As soon as I found one, I wil reuse the Helios lens.They are beautiful.