Zenit PhotoSnaiper

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by megzie, May 4, 2008.

1. megzie

megzie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was so excited the day my Zenit PhotoSnaiper came in the mail, that I couldn't even talk. But then disappointment set in when I realised that the entire users manual is in Russian (which I should have guessed, since it was /imported from Russia/).

Whatever, I'm not saying I'm not an idiot. Actually, it's because I'm an idiot that I'm here.

I can't figure out how to get my lens (Tair-3S) off. Yes, go ahead, laugh.

I know there's a pin that's supposed to be realeased, but I have no idea what to hit to release it...

And I've read about five different Zenit 122s and 122 manuals. I'm stuck. Halp?

EDIT//
    It appears that the only way to remove the lens is by sheer brute force, and I have succeeded! But my thighs are killing me now... Don't ask.
    -M

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2008
  2. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No, there is no pin. At least not on my old one, which is about twenty years old. But that fella is really on tight. Undo the rifle stock, of course. Then you are going to have to unscrew the lens by putting a pair of big, well padded adjustable grip pipe pliers on the lens mount--not the lens barrel--it to get it started.
    Once that is done, it is a snap and you should have no further trouble, although a little WD-40 on the end of your finger and applied to the mount certainly can't hurt. BTW, although the whole thing is a heavy, inconvenient clunker, it is built like a Stalin tank and the lens (which is easy to focus once you get the hang of it) is very sharp.

Let me know if you need additional info. Email at JayKhill@aol.com

3. aparat

aparat Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used to have this lens. That was many years ago, so I can't remember much. However, if you scan the manual to PDF and post it on the web (or email it to me), I can try to help you translate the relevant parts.
    aparat

4. megzie

megzie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks! I got it! But instead of pliers, which would have been the easy way, I braced the camera with my thighs... Stupid, I know. The pain... :[

But seriously, thanks a lot :]

5. megzie

megzie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks so much for the offer, but I finally got it! Yay!

If I run into any more problems, I might hit you up on the translation help :]

Thanks again!

6. weasel

weasel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have one, and I think the barrel of the lens is made from left over cast iron sewer pipe.It could probably be turned into a mortar of some sort, if one were so inclined.

7. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

8. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    FWIW, you might be interested in the Yahoo Zenit Camera Group. Compared to APUG, it's low volume (typically one or two dozen messages a day). It includes a files area with manuals, battery information, etc.