Zero Image

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by CarlRadford, Dec 10, 2005.

1. CarlRadford

CarlRadford Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anyone any experience of the zero image 5x4 - I might ask santa for one? A 7x5 or 10x8 would be nice though so if there are other companies equally as good I appreciate any input?

Thanks in advance, Carl

2. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haven't used them, but they're universally reported as well made. Other than that, how bad can they possibly be? A box that accepts 5x4 film holders, and a simple flap shutter over the pinhole... :wink:

OTOH, you can make one just as functional from $10 worth of foam core board and wood strips...

3. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Zero Image cameras are all wonderful. I own many of their cameras. Their 5x4 is very ingenious. Made many wonderful images with it. The pinhole section of my web site (under the experimental menu) has images made with Zero Image cameras, as well as other manufacturers. http://www.walterpcalahan.com

Hope Santa brings you more than one of their cameras!!

4. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm looking at them too. The 4x5 seems a decent value in the 50B configuration but the holding bands for the film holder put me off a little. I wonder if a spring back from a graphic could be adapted. The 6x9 model apparently doesn't have a curved film plane and the pictures show falloff beyond the 6x4.5 configuration, but then of course it's a pinhole.

5. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I heard that the entire staff are pin heads. :wink:

6. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Walter,

thanks for sharing a very impressive web site, also the pin hole photographs are outstanding.
    Dave

7. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Subscriber

Shooter:
    Holga
    I've been thinking about getting the 75mm myself. With 3 focal lengths, 3 pinhole sizes and 3 zone plates you have alot of creative control in one small package. That being said, I love my home made matt board 37mm and my Santa Barbara/Lensless camera co. 75mm but if I only have room for one camera, they can't compete.
    Good luck!
    Victor

8. CarlRadford

CarlRadford Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stunning images...

All of them - love the people images too!

I am now in touch with Zernicke at Zero Image re the cameras and either a 10x8 or 5x7 version! I will point him in the direction of this thread re the mounting of the film holder as its an idea he might be able to work with.

Thanks for the help, Carl

9. celluloidpropaganda

celluloidpropaganda Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Leonard pinhole camera from Pinhole Resource - it's about as nice as I could hope, with rotating dowels to hold the holder onto the back.

10. micek

micek Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The three pinhole images in my gallery were taken with a home built 8x10 camera. The camera is a simple box. The side opposite the pinhole is hinged to the bottom of the box. The paper negatives are laid onto this hinged back, which I lightly spray with glue every 30 or so shots. It works very well.

11. big_ben_blue

big_ben_blue Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have the 4x5 version but own one of Zernicke's 6x9 cameras - beautifully built - LOVE IT!!! You can't go wrong with any of his cameras (mine developed a smallish crack, and it got replaced with a new one without any problems whatsoever; that is excellent customer service in my books).

12. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Subscriber

Shooter:
    Holga
    Hi Carl;
    Does this mean they are going to make an 8x10 (or 10x8) or 5x7..? If they are, please ask him to make it just like the 4x5. The multiple focal length and multiple zone plate/ pinhole features would make this an immediate buy for me.
    Thanks

13. CarlRadford

CarlRadford Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    10x8

The answer is yes, but it will be later next year to get it to their standards. I have copied him the link to this thread so that he can pick up earlier suggestions and comments!

All the best, Carl.

14. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have two of these cameras.
    They are not only the best value I have seen in pinhole cameras, each is a wrork of art in itself. I keep mine in velvet bages when not in use.
    Jim

15. 25asa

25asa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Zeros are beautiful and functional masterpieces of art.

Every time I take mine out and someone takes notice - it is always something like
    "Oh, that is so well preserved for an antique! When was it made?".

It is really popular with the ladies!

16. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Subscriber

Shooter:
    Holga
    ..and isn't that all that really matters...?

17. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I also have a few Zero Image cameras and they're really cool. My fave is the 6x12 with both a zone plate and pinhole.

18. CarlRadford

CarlRadford Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all...

I am badgering them for a 10x8 so I can do some serious negs :smile: but until then I think Santa has been instructed to bring a 5x4.

Cheers, Carl

19. john neal

john neal Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I recently bought a Zero Image 5x4 secondhand from a dealer friend of mine. It has the base camera plus 3 extensions and is equipped with both pinhole & zoneplate apertures.

So far I have only processed one shot from it (Delta 100 in Prescysol) and not got around to printing it, but the result looks superb - full neg coverage at 25mm and very sharp.

I just got a polaroid 5x4 back, so that's the next experiment. Now where can I buy some cheap type 55 film?

20. Poptart

Poptart Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I made a pinhole camera that takes standard 4X5 film holders. It cost about $4 to make. I haven't used the ZI cameras but they seem to run counter to the DIY ethos of pinholing. Just my opinion. Why spend $100 os more for something that's fun to make yourself?

21. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, I'd suggest starting with one of the cheaper Polaroid films. I've been using Type 667 (corresponding to Type 57) in a converted pack-film Polaroid camera with excellent results, but the exposures would be uncomfortably short for hand shuttering with a short focal length (the film is ISO 3000). Even the Type 52/72/56, however, is a lot cheaper than 55 and at ISO 400 will give nice exposures without too much need for reciprocity correction in daylight. Type 56, BTW, is the sepia tone version...