Ziatype emulsion stuck to neg, can I save it?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by matt miller, Apr 24, 2005.

1. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was printing a ziatype today with a new neg that I had high hopes for. When I opened the frame to remove the paper, the neg was stuck to the print slightly. As I lifted the paper the neg peeled off by itself. Little dots of the ziatype emulsion are now stuck to the neg's emulsion side, which ruined the print. Is there anything I can do the remove the zia emulsion from the neg without damaging the neg, or is it ruined?

I haven't been using mylar between the neg & paper and haven't had a problem yet. I obviously didn't let the emulsion dry long enough this time. The print I made just prior to that was fine.

2. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Soak the negative in water with a little Photoflo, be very gentle handling it. If the particles don't float free on thier own in 5 or 10 minutes a very gentle wipe under water may do it. Don't overdo it.

3. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

With luck this will take care of it. I had this happen a few months ago, and lost the negative...still keep it around as a reminder, and use a sheet of mylar between the negative and the substrate. Some do not use it and never have a problem, but my guess is, that they are much more experienced than I and can tell when the substrate is 'dry enough' to do that.

Good Luck...

4. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll try the photoflo, thanks.

5. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I will second, and third and fourth the suggestion to use a sheet of thin mylar betwen the negative and sensitized paper when printing with alternative processes, whatever the process. Even the most experienced printers make mistakes and a mistake at this point will usually result in a ruined negative. Been there and done that enough to say that it ain't fun to destroy a really nice negative because the sensitized paper, or carbon tissue, had a bit too much moisture in it and it stuck to the negative during exposure.

Moreove, even if you don't have a problem in printing the archival quality of the negative is compromised by contact with iron and metal salts or with dichromate.

Sandy

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2005
  6. matt miller

matt miller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The photoflo removed a little bit of it, but not all. Oh well, lesson learned. I will start using mylar between the neg & paper.

Thanks for the help.

7. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hear that Matt, but it matches my own experience, very little came off (once it's there it seems to be there)

Thanks for the tip Sandy, using mylar on All alt. process...will save a few negatives

8. mark

mark Member

Try PEC-12 after soaking the neg. Can't hurt at this point. Wipe gently with a chemwipe or a micro fiber cloth in on direction only.

9. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    It ain't coming off no matter what you do. Live and learn!

Don Bryant