Zion is on fire

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Aggie, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well the wildfires that started up near the upper portion of Zion have jumped down into the main canyon. The roads going through the area hwy. 9 is closed to through traffic. On the east of me on the old road going south to Vegas over what is called Utah hill (one of the highest mountains in Utah) is another out of control wildfire, that is closing in on the east side of St. George to many of the communities there like bloomington, and Stanta Clara. No signs of rain until maybe Wednesday. For now I'm safe where I am, but it stinks, and the visiblitity here is down to a couple of miles. For those that have been here a couple of miles is bad. Usually you can see to the Horizon line 50 or more miles away with no obstruction. All of these have been set by humans doing stupid things. It is fire season, and tinder dry with temps in the 110 range. Starting and leaving a camp fire is stupid. Throwing a lit cigarette out the car window is also stupid. So far no homes have burned, but many are now in danger. No lives have been lost, but I'm sure the wildlife has suffered.

http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/fireplots/swx2006177_0300.pdf

the above map will have where the fires are active in red. If it doesn't work, I will put the main page with directions to the fires location along with it on here.

2. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aggie,

That is very unfortunate to hear. I hope that you and your home remain safe.

Certainly hope that the wildlife and forests remain as unscathed as possible and the fires are brought under control as quickly as possible. I certainly would not like to see this gem of a National Park damaged to any degree.

Rich

3. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dealing with fires started by dry lightning is bad enough, but those started by stupidity are inexcuseable. Too bad we can't turn stupid people back at the state borders.

4. tommy5c

tommy5c Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    go buy some velvia and take pictures of the sunset. forest fires create some of the most amazing sunsets. maybe wednesdy the rain will come your way.

5. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes, the world needs more sunset photos :D

6. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If Utah turned stupid people back at the borders there would be like maybe 15 people in this whole state.

7. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love chicken on a Sunday but Aggie is one tough bird I would not wish to see roast! Stay safe!

8. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    <rant> OK, pet peeve. When I'm camping and it's 110 degrees why in hell does anyone need a fire. Somehow we have this stupid romantic notion that you aren't camping unless something's on fire. Harley people are the worst. After converting gasoline to noise all day long they have to pull in next to me and make a fire. Then they have to start the damn thing up and rev the motor until the rods stretch about 3 hours after the fire finally died out. Usually about 4:49 AM. IQ = average speed on the hiway. </rant>

9. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim,

my experiences are even worse. They pull into the camp site and keep the engine going to power their TV's and stereos.

Also, when they pull out, they leave the fire going. I hate putting out other people's campfires.

Matt

10. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After the fire change to B&W film.

11. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I sure hope I'm one of the 15!

12. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sorry Robert...

:tongue:

13. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format

I forgot you... so ok, 16. :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ha! Another lame excuse for delaying the magazine Aggie? I am sure you set the fires, trying to cover your shame...
    Oh, well, fires like that happen every summer here in Greece and burn our few remaining trees...it makes me so sad...I don't really care if homes and people are burned, they usually deserve it as they probably built too close to the trees, possibly on grounds that were cleared by past fires.

16. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I wasn't one of the 15. That's why I had to move to New Jersey :smile:

17. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    LOL I'm really sorry you moved before we had a chance to meet.

18. tommy5c

tommy5c Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Like you need the chance to scare the hell out of anyone else. And As for the 15, only with supervision are they allowed near any wooded area.

19. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It wasn't me, I just got back from Idaho so make that 17. The good news is that wildlife have a way of staying out of the way of a fast moving fire. The fires in yellowstone had a much smaller effect on wildlife than expected. As sad as it is to see it burn, for the long term health of the forest a fire is necessary once in a while. Don't be discouraged it has burned before and it will burn again. The wildflowers will be amazing next year just like Yellowstone after the fire.

20. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kalispel Montana would have to go up in flames to stop it. Ask Blaze On (matt) about why I didn't send the first printing out. He was here yesterday, and I gave him one of the rotten copies.

Jason.....You need a gun to scare people? I can do it with a look! Now you know why I hate my picture being taken. Small children would have nightmares.

21. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back to the fire, it jumped the road hwy9 just east of Virgin, and is spreading both directions. It has also forced the closure of the road hwy9 leading into Zion, until it all abates in that area. It isn't even 5% contained, and totally out of control. As of an hour ago it had burned nearly 17,000 acres.

22. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I use my gun to shoot at things. If it's out, and pointed at a homo sapiens sapiens, they must need killen, pure and simple. (The paperwork is a bother, though. Damn these modern times.)

The fires out your way are really too bad. The country isn't like the mountains where things bloom and fill in the space over a couple of years. The affected areas will carry the scars for decades. People cause far more fires in this area of the state than nature ever thought of.

23. nc5p

nc5p Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Much of the mountains area around here is now closed, due to the STUPID hikers who can't go without a cigarette for a few hours. One year I took La Luz trail up the day it was opened after fire closure. Sure enough there were hikers ascending the steep parts while dragging on their smokes. The picnic areas are still open, fancy that. Yesterday the county had a crew clearing weeds next to the road near my house. One of the workers stopped and lit up, in amongst all the dry weeds.

Don't get me wrong, if you smoke, do so in your house or car but don't do it in the dry woods! These selfish people have ruined it for everybody else, including me.

24. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This should more correctly say "because of the stupid smokers..." not all hikers are dumb enough to smoke.

25. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Yep, the quality of the images was sorely lacking. Aggie I 'spect the printer used paper plates to save money. Paper Plates don't hold the blacks/shadows well nor print black blacks. I looked at it again when I got home last night and I likened the quality of images to View Camera Mag or worse.

The layout, text/articles was very nice.

By the way, it took me six hours from Vegas to Riverside due to three major hickups on the Freeway. Usually a 3.5 hr drive... all those damn crazy Cal drivers leaving Sin City. Gawd I gotta move...

As for looks, yes, Aggie has some that will make your testicles crawl up inside your tummy in a heartbeat-even if you are of the fairer sex (sans texticles). She don't need no stinkin' gun...

26. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Makes the 7 inches of rain here yesterday seem less important, though it closed many rail stations a few highways and some buildings (including the IRS).