ZIPLOCKS JUMBO SIZE--GENIUS IDEA?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by johnielvis, Feb 10, 2013.

1. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is a product called Hefty 2 1/2 gallon bags. These are large enough to put in a sheet of 11x14 film. This has the promise of being able to use an absolute minimum of deveoper (one-shot) and provide full all over agitation with hands on the bag AND prevent scratches caused by tray sloshing/relative motion maybe.

Has anyone tried using ziplocks to deveop sheet film? success? sticking or other failure?

If not, looks like the experiment will have to be made!

It looks like using it for paper would work pretty good-then you get oneshot full-strength paper development with minimal chemistry usage--paper doesn't have the same sticking problems of film, so this is a very attractive method (or it looks that way).....

Well--only one way to find out, right?

2. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OMG you're a genius! Poor mans film tank. As I like to call it "Ghetto" film tank.

3. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not a bad idea. Not bad at all. I've been using them to keep my cameras in when they're sitting out on the table or something. Living out here in the country, I get an inch of dust and cobwebs on every piece of furniture per week.

4. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried those for different purpose. Please be aware, they do not seal very well.... Went through few boxes and they were all the same.

5. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've found the ones with the double blue & red push-together seal are pretty water tight. The ones with the zipper slider leak around the slider, natch. Exceptions abound.

6. gleaf

gleaf Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    2 1/2 gallon zips

They make great clipboard rain covers for track meet score sheets. Last for a season or more. Tend to crease over time when stuffed in a gear bag.. Consideration for emulsion damage from a bit of bag rub during processing? It will be good to know how it works. What about open top vertical between a couple of cardboard spacers? 1 each mini width tank.

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And you know that all trash bags this size are light safe, how??

8. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    CARDBOARD SPACERS!!!!! YES...now we're getting somewhere...well--PLASTIC spacers so they don't soak the chemicals.

AND maybe in daylight...you put the bags in a changing bag. For sure I'm a try it with paper/safelight development to see what kind of mess to expect..but I think if I put the ziplock in a larger tray, then any mess will be contained...I"m thinking maybe one of them light tight contractor bags that people talk about and LARGE CLAMPS or like a frame to put the plastick between--Or use an ilford black bag--they are thick...put the film in there with chems and a clamp on the top---VOILA--daylight development...but still must be in dark to empty and fill....

hey...I aint gonna get to this tonite...feel free to try yourself and let us know if any problems

9. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rube Goldberg would be proud.

10. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    couldn't wait...JUST DID IT with 11x14 paper---

used 2 oz of developer (double the theoritical exhaustion for one sheet--one ounce should have have developed to full exhaustion)

WELL--it worked pretty good BUT...I got like wrinkle 'bag marks"...it looks like you need air in there to keep the plastic from "pinching" developer away from zones or from concentrating it---if a wrinkle develops in the plastic, then it tends to suck the developer up by capillary action and you get a wrinkle mark....

Also...if you got 2 sheets to develop....well you better have 2 bags....once it's wet good luck loading a sheet...and then you'll destroy it likely wiht water makrks that will look worse than the "bag marks"

but HEY...I'm pretty sure this can be workable if you get enough practice and learn 'how to do it"...I did get a couple of images out of it...ther'es work to be done here

11. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Wow what an experiment. Glad you went through with it johnielvis.

All while reading it I was reminded of a camping trip where one of the young leaders put eggs in a ziplock bag, boiled it and made an omelette.

It was ugly but it worked.

12. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I souped some Fuji HRT in a tray under a safelight. I found scuff marks on my neg. I think the ziplock bag trick might work in preventing scratches.

13. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With apologies to Dr. Sheldon Cooper ("Big Bang Theory" TV show,) theory is what we think, experiment tells us what we know. Thanks for trying it out!

Mike

14. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    JUST DID another experiment with same chems in a tray...it appears that 2oz will also devop "bag marks" with no bag!!!!!

looks like the developer gets exhausted in areas...so--the best way to develop is LOTS OF SOLUTION!!!!...so you'll go broke on chems I'm afraid..either that or roller tubes is the best with the super constant agistation

15. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OH...so that means bags work fine but just make sure you got enough DRy.....for paper...still haven't done film yet...but when it's done...there will be beaucoup chems...

16. WayneStevenson

WayneStevenson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are guys using them for xray film development. The emulsion is very soft and prone to scratching while tray developing.

I on the other hand, place a sheet of glass on the bottom of the tray. But the ziplock bags are working great for them.

Large format film photography forum's Xray Film Example And Comparison thread has the details......