Zone IV Enlarger ~ New Model??

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Jim Moore, May 4, 2004.

1. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have heard rumors that there will be a new model of the Zone VI Enlarger out soon.

Has anyone else heard such a thing??

Looking at Calumets Web Site they no longer have any Zone VI Enlargers listed.

Jim

2. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

Heard somewhere. Don't know where, that the new VC enlarger will use an LED instead of florescent light source. It will be a 4x5 instead of their 5x7 model. Does this mean no 8x10? Stay tuned, I guess...

3. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From their latest catalog, they still list the Zone VI but at the bottom, the say:

Coming soon,
    "a revolutionary new variable contrast light source that will change the way you think about diffusion black and white printing."

I believe Tom is right it is a LED.

Later,

Michael McBlane

4. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom is right, I saw the prototype when I visited Richard Newman when I was in California last November. Richard told me about 2 years ago that he was working with Zone VI on this new development. Richard is very enthusiastic about the concept, I understand that, unlike cold cathode, the light source is quite bright and exposure times are relatively quick.

5. mikewhi

mikewhi Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    No 8x10??? Are they serious? Perhaps the lightsource, if LED, would be too difficult to make in 8x10? Where does that leave us regarding optinos for 8x10 enlargers that are 'affordable'? I have a Zone VI Model I 8x10 non-VC that I guess I had better hang onto.

-Mike

6. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As an alternative to cold light sources, one can build a LED light source head. Printing times would be quicker the coldlights and it would still remain a diffusion source. The design is in the public domain at HUB. (A Google search will locate it for you). While Hub built a head for a 4X5 Devere, it could very easily be built to 8X10 format.

7. fingel

fingel Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Hi Donald.
    What is HUB? I got about 9,000,000 search results in google for it.

8. cspirz

cspirz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for posting this. This tells me why I was having trouble searching for it. I had not accurately remembered and misspelled his name. I have bookmarked it for future reference.