Zone VI 4x5 lensboard size

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by MarkL, Nov 17, 2006.

1. MarkL

MarkL Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just purchased a Zone VI 4x5 made about 1993, with about a 23 inch extension and am looking for lenses longer than my 210mm. I was looking at a Schneider Symmar-S 300mm f/5.6 with a Copal #3 and it's description says it requires a 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 or larger lens board. Is this lens that large or is this a typo and they mean 3 1/4? My camera lensboard is 4x4". Are there lenses out there that are too large for a standard 4x4 board?

Mark

2. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, there are lenses that are too large for the Zone VI lensboards. I have a Zone VI and if I were going for a longer lens, I would look toward a 305 Repro Claron or 305 and even a 355 G Claron. All of which have a ton of movement for a 4X5 camera but are all mounted in a Copal one shutter. All are F9 maximum aperture although that has not posed a problem in my experience.

I like the 305 length on 4X5.

3. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark -

A Copal #3 shutter requires a 65mm hole in the lens board - that's about 2 2/3". Therefore, it is possible to bore a Zone VI lens board to accommodate a Copal #3 shutter. However, the amount of freeboard you would have around the outside would be limited to about 2/3". That would cause me to be a bit concerned about weakening the board. However, Calumet does offer Zone VI boards drilled for a Copal #3, so apparently it is viewed as OK.

What is the outside diameter of the lens? Keep in mind that the rear portion of the lens must fit through the lens board opening (which is 3.5" x 3.5"), so if the lens is larger than that, it won't fit on the camera. Also, if the front of the lens is too large, you might have difficulty sliding the clips that hold the board on the front standard.

4. MarkS

MarkS Member

At home I have a 4x5 Zone VI; and an 8x10 camera I use at work has a 300mm Symmar-S in a #3 shutter. That lens would be much too big and heavy to work on the Z-VI. I doubt that the front standard could support it; it weighs almost as much as the Z-VI camera.
    In addition to the G-Clarons mentioned above, I'd suggest you look at a 300mm f/9 Nikkor-M. I've had one for a long time and it's very sharp, easy to focus, and fits very nicely on the Z-VI.

5. MarkL

MarkL Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks guys for the info. Good thing I lost bidding on an ebay auction for a Schneider Symmar-S 360. I don't know if that would have fit either but it must be workable. Otherwise why would Zone VI have undersized their front standard when they have a 23 inch bellows draw?

My camera came with a wood lensboard drilled for a Copal #3 so as you say Monophoto I assume it can support the lens if I'm not too wild with the camera. I could check the rear element filter size of any given lens to see if it fits into the standard.

Donald, what was the 2nd 305mm you are referring to? Yes, I figure around a 300mm would be the next step after a 210mm. How does a G-Claron differ from a Repro Claron?

Thanks!
    Mark

6. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Mark,
    The two 305 lenses are the repro claron and the G claron. They are both made by Schneider. The G Claron is acknowledged as having more coverage...but both have more than enough for 4X5. The repro claron is probably going to be less expensive.

7. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    also Donald said that the 355mm is a copal #1 when in fact it needs a copal #3.

lee\c

8. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I own a 300 Symmar, 305 f9 G Claron, 355 G Claron, 360 Symmar, 450 f11 fujinon, 450 f9 Nikon, and 600 Fujinon all mounted on Zone VI 4x5 boards. I use these lenses on both my Zone VI 4x5, and Zone VI 8x10. For those that can be used on the 4x5, never had a problem with the front standard.

9. MarkL

MarkL Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, that's good to know. That's quite a collection of lenses!

10. StreetShooter

StreetShooter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Mark,

I think you should thank the Gods above for not winning that HUMONGOUS chunk of glass. I think it would have been way, way too heavy for your camera. I have one that I use on a pretty sturdy 5x7 Dorff and I worry about it when I mount this beast! :smile:

FWIW, I think the 355 G-Claron is a great chunk of glass... far, far more manageable than the 360 Symmar. The 300 is also a great lens! :smile:

Cheers

11. Richard T Ritter

Richard T Ritter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Zone VI camera will take a copal #3 hole in the board you can go as large as 3 inches.

When I was at Zone VI Fred and myself did some field test of the 355 G-Claron against the 360 Symmar. We both found the 355 G-Claron to be a far better lens in the type of photography we were doing. I have found the 355 G-Claron to be the one lens that always goes out with me no matter what size camera I am carrying. 4 x 5 right up to 12 x 20 and 11 x 14.

Richard Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

12. MarkL

MarkL Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well, I ended up getting a 300mm Nikkor-M. If I go longer someday I'll go for the 355 G-Claron. Thanks everybody!

Mark

13. MarkS

MarkS Member

Mark- congratulations on the 300M- a very sharp lens that fits well on our cameras. But be aware that the 23" extension on the Z-VI is almost entirely theoretical. The longest non-tele lens that will focus to infinity on that camera is a 16-1/2" (420mm) Artar; a 500mm Nikkor-T tele will work too, both of them are at the functional limit.

14. MarkL

MarkL Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks. Does the bellows sag at longer lengths? What's the prob with longer than 16 1/2?

15. waterlily

waterlily Member

I have the Zone VI 4x5 and my long lenses are the Nikor 300M and the Fuji 450C. Both are in Copal 1 shutters and have 52mm filter size. Very compact. There is plenty of bellows to focus the 450 (18") down to about 11 feet.

16. MarkS

MarkS Member

I think that to get 23" of bellows you'd have to stretch the all the pleats out. My camera, from '91, won't focus a 19" Artar at infinity, and the #4 shutter it was in overloaded the front standard. The 16-1/2" would focus, but again I thought the shutter was too big. And long lenses increase magnification, which means shake and instability is magnified too. So when I say "functionally" I mean that even if you can get the extension, the camera is less rigid and a bit of a pain to manipulate. Stretching the camera out all the way and then putting a big lens meant for 8x10 on the front... If you try it you'll see what I mean. The camera is just much happier with a small 300 on it. But don't let me stop you from trying!