Zone VI 4X5 w/ Both Bellows! Beautiful Camera!

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by jimgalli, Oct 8, 2010.

1. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I've always thought these cameras got the prize for just being pretty.

[​IMG]

They're well balanced, and they just look right. Ahh, but that doesn't mean anything, we need a machine that can take some abuse and is elegant in use. It wins that prize too.

[​IMG]

The good folks at ZVI copied both Wista and Deardorff to render one of the finest field 4X5 cameras of last century. Calumet was still selling these a couple of years ago. I haven't kept track if they still are, or not.

[​IMG]

Richard Ritter built these for ZVI and is still building some gorgeous cameras as we speak.

[​IMG]

More pictures below.

Caveats! The lenses are NOT included in this sale, but will be sold seperately. One ZVI lens board IS included. Price with both bellows: $850 + shipping. With just the normal bellows and not the bag, $685 + shipping. More Pics Below.

2. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish I could afford this, beautiful camera.

3. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    A few more pics;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buy it!

4. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    :D me 2 :wink:

5. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

Sure that isn't one of the early ones built by Ron Wisner for Fred Picker?

6. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Says; Made by Zone VI Studios Newfane Vermont, USA

I'm 99.98% sure, but if there are zoney's out there that know something I don't know, I'm all ears. I've owned 3 of these and one of Ron's. This is like my other 2 ZVI's and very different than the Wiz was if ever a Wiz there wuz.

7. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is that a crack going from upper right to lower left diagon ally on the ground glass in the second picture of the second series that you posted?

Would you be willing to trade?

8. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    No, it has a beatty screen and that has caught the light in that angle.

Contact me by PM with your trade idea, but honestly, like everyone else on earth right now, I probably need the cash. :smile:

9. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of these, exactly like this including the rotating widgets that hold the back on and the camera closed. I believe that later cameras have a slider to hold the back on, instead of rotators, and a little bit different way of holding the camera closed. My oh my, this is a pretty camera and it just gets prettier every year. I wax it down with Renaissance Wax once or twice a year, depending on how often I've been out shooting in the rain or snow, and she's good to go. I'll keep mine, thanks: it does what I need a 4x5 to do and does it in style! :smile:

Mike

10. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

Actually those are not Wisner bellows so I dunno. Fred went to Tachihara for a while after the fall out with Ron but that ain't a Tach either

11. ZoneVI

ZoneVI Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Mark, I own a Zone VI. There should be a serial number on the gold tripod mounting plate below the bellows. There should be a plate on the front that also says the camera was built in Vermont by Zone VI studios.

One difference between my camera and the one pictured for sale here is that my camera has a Bail Back handle.

Ron Wisner did not produce that many camera's for Zone VI.

There is an article on the View Camera magazine website in regard to Zone VI where Richard shares the history of the company.

Richard Ritter is the real genius behind the design of the camera's that were produced in Vermont. I was recently in Vermont in August of this year. During that time I took a trip to Newfane (excuse my spelling its wrong) and talked to the locals and found a few that actually new Fred Picker. One of them took me just outside of town and showed me the building where the camera's were assembled. Bruce Barlow and Richard Ritter both worked for Zone VI studios and are members of this website. They also put on workshops during the year and Richard restores and designs camera's.

After doing some research I wrote a guide on Zone VI camera's with a time-line that you can find on ebay.

12. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Good information, thanks. Yes it is a Vermont camera and the serial no. is 1371.

13. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wott a byewtie!!! Wanna trade an 8x10 Chromega F for it? :wink:

(J/k. I am thrilled with the enlarger, and it will not go anywhere unless I find a Durst of DeVere for very cheap. I use it for all of my proofs now, on 11x14 paper, and for prints from 5x7 negs.)

14. Richard T Ritter

Richard T Ritter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Tachihara where sold by Zone VI in the late 70's and then replaced by the Wista then the Wisner BS followed by Zone VI building the camera ourselves. about 4500 cameras.When I left Zone VI the camera numbers being built then were in the 4300 range. The highest number I saw is 45xx.

15. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

Richard those are interesting numbers. At one time I sold a few cameras for Wisner and visited his place in Marion but was not aware of the issues at the time. I corresponded with Fred quite a bit as I had printed a book on old Sennachie tales from the Hebrides and he was interested in those islands at the time.
    Mark

16. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

The Wisner TFs had bellows made from a very soft red leather. I actually regret selling my last one and should hunt it up as the current owner has gone digital.

17. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Price Lowered!

I have lowered the price to $585 with single folded bellows or $715 with both.