Zone VI Cold Light head/bulb/pre-heater question

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by shotgun1a, Aug 10, 2009.

1. shotgun1a

shotgun1a Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is it a good or bad idea to unplug the pre-heater on my Zone VI cold light head if I won't be using the enlarger for several days? Lamp life is the impetus for my question, and speaking of lamp life, is there a source for new lamps for this head? I wanted to go ahead and buy one to have as a spare, but can't seem to locate one online.

2. Eric Mac

Eric Mac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I unplug both the lamp and preheater during the down time. With the future of Aristo unclear, I would conserve use of the lamps and heater.

Eric

3. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The lamps last a very long time, and my guess is that the heater would help extend the life of the lamp. The VC replacement is the V54 bulb.

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of the Aristos have a switch. It would be easy to install an on-off switch if you don't have one. In my case, the heater switch is up so high I cant reach it, so I leave it on, and just un-plug it when not needed.

5. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Being too lazy to research this, does the v54 bulb require a correction filter for VC papers?

6. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The heater should be turned off when the enlarger is not in use.

The reliability of electrical components, and many other things, is related to temperature. For every 10C increase in temperature the lifetime of the product is cut in half.

7. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rich - re the V54 bulb for VC papers. Yes, it was developed for VC papers, but you may find that the # filter you use may not be the same as the Graded paper # you would use. I always use a lower number filter than graded would be.

Eric - what do you mean about the uncertain future of Aristo?

8. RJS

RJS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nicholas, I am sure you are correct but - I have a number of electronic devices (An AR amplifier, a PS CD converter) where the instructions state they should be left on permanently, as the sound is improved with continuous operation. I've had them both on for over ten years with no problems. Are these devices different, or ?

9. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Luckily for internet bandwidth, in photography there are very few devices that would come under the 'leave on or not' debate :smile: The only things I could think of would be commercial processing machines and darkroom HVAC.

Leaving the heater in a cold light on all the time would be like leaving an iron on all the time...a waste of electricity and possible fire hazard.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  10. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am sure the instructions say that.

In the early days of electronics -1940's & 1950's - it was thought that the turn-on 'power surge' shortened the life of vacuum tubes and electrolytic capacitors - and so much equipment was kept running 24 hours a day. It turned out not to be the case, but this old wives' tale has a life of its own. Keeping equipment off when not in use increases its life, slows any degradation of performance, and saves energy and money.

If you want to see more products with whacked-out instructions then see what I am trying to shift here... Lindan Collection. High-end audio equipment and quackery have much in common.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  11. RJS

RJS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What you say makes sense. the additional instruction was that the sound improved after a few hours of continuous operation. Not having a pair of 'golden ears' I have taken the word of the manufacturers, such as AR. I have to say though, that after well over ten years of continuous operation there have been no failures. AR has a reputation for being a 'high end' builder and they seem to do a considerable amount of research on their products. Or is it mostly hype? Audio stuff is sold by people who sound knowledgable, but most of the consumers know little more than I. If the Absolute Sound says it is good, and the 'build quality' superb, what do I know? Another exaple of caveat emptor, and where does one go for good information. I am fairly knowledgable re photographic stuff and can make my own tests of most of it. But things like audio - listening is difficult and results completely subjective.