Zone VI cold light

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Jim Fitzgerald, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I just bought a Zone VI cold light head for my Beseler 45MCRX enlarger. Is it a good idea to find the stablizer for this head? Can I use it without one? I also read that I should not use my Gra-Lab 505 timer with this cold light due to possible voltage problems. If this is the case what would be a good recommendation for a timer? I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is with my Dichro head but in the meantime I thought I would try the cold light. I know a lot has been said both pro and con but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

2. AllenR

AllenR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim,

The head can be used without the stabilizer, but having one would make life much easier. Besides providing consistent exposures, the stabilizer also provides a means of easily adjusting the exposure for dry down. For what its worth, I've used a Gra-Lab 500 timer on my Zone VI head / stabilizer combination for more than 20 years without any issues. The 505 is similar, but you would need to compare specs to see if the 505 has the same capabilities as the 500.

Hope this helps.

3. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Allen, thank you. I'm going to pick up the stabilizer when I can.

Jim

4. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know about the timer, but yes to the stabilizer. Unstabilized, my light appears to flicker at a high frequency and is much lower intensity than stabilized. I don't know what that would mean from print to print, if bulb temperature would affect it, or the clothes dryer being turned on.

5. MarkL

MarkL Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Plus the stabilizer has a dimmer so you can change the light intensity instead of, or in addition to, the aperture.

6. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Ok, I got the head today and it looks to be in great shape. This question may seem obvious to some but there are two cords coming out of the head. Does one go into the wall and the other into my timer? I guess I can find out which one turns the light on but then what does the other cord do if you do not have the stabilizer? Thanks for the help.

Jim

7. photobackpacker

photobackpacker Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The cold light has a pre-heater to reduce light intensity variation when the light first comes on. It has been years since I used one but I recall that the preheater plugs into the wall and the other into the stabilzer - the stabilizer into the timer.

8. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Bruce, thanks for the timely answer. I figured I'll have to use my metronome until I can find a stabilizer for this unit. By the way, I hope you had a good time in California on your recent vacation. It was nice to meet and talk to you at Muir Woods. All the best.

Jim

9. john_s

john_s Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a scan of some Zone VI cold light and stabilizer instructions. PM me with your email if you'd like a copy.

Also, do a search of APUG because you will find some info about the stabilizer and the compensating timer (which is probably better than the stabilizer).

10. j4425

j4425 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm also using a zone cold light without stabilizer and time-o-lite (timer). No issues at all. I missed out on a stabilizer (ebay) a couple weeks ago. Dry down and light intensity control for burning seems to be the stabilizers main advantages.

11. photobackpacker

photobackpacker Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    HI Jim:

Sorry, I didn't make the connection. Thanks for not mentioning that you caught me in the redwoods without a camera or backpack. oops...:rolleyes:

Good luck with the cold light.

12. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Bruce, didn't I see you with one of those point and shoot d things................ Sorry, just kidding. When you get LF photographers together I think we could have talked for hours.

I missed out on the stabilizer on e-bay a while back also. John, thanks for the instructions, they are a big help.

Jim