Zoom Lenses for Pentax 645

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Bennett Brown, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Bennett Brown

Bennett Brown Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fellow APUG'ers:

What recommendations might you (one or more) have for a source of used zoom lenses for a Pentax 645. I usually go to the KEH site but notice that its selection is a bit limited. I am looking for something in the 50mm - 105mm range

Many thanks.

Bennett Brown

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
  2. Paul.A

Paul.A Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the 45 - 85 zoom, its a very nice lens indeed. Beautifully made and optically a great performer. I chose this as I like wide to standard lenses. I'd like to get my hands on the 33-55 as I would like to be able to wider than 45 mm every now and then. There's a 55-110 lens that I consider a bit of a nothing focal length on 645, not wide enough nor long enough, but it must be a reasonable lens as my local pro dealer has one for hire and it always seems to be out. So that's all the possible choices I'm aware of.

The image below was taken with the 45-85, it is my most used lens on the 645.

[​IMG]

3. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So besides KEH and eBay, there aren't (m)any options?

4. Pupfish

Pupfish Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Even bricks and mortar stores are using eBay and you get the double protection if you use PayPal. Adorama had a bunch of P645 gear in their rental department that they've been liquidating, via eBay. (I bought a SMC-A 35mm f/3.5 from them at auction for cheap-- really a nice piece with immaculate glass and near mint barrel). Shutterblade always has a bunch of P645 stuff and it's warranted for 30 days-- but prices tend to close a little higher due to this.

5. yurihuta

yurihuta Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From my searches over the past couple of years, KEH and Ebay have had the most consistent availability so far. Some of the smaller brick and mortar shops will get "a" lens in once in a while, but zooms are rare (Washington, DC area - not a hotbed for this sort of equipment). I would also look at photo.net classifieds. I have seen some zooms there - even purchased a 45-85 from there. I do regret selling my 45-85 and am now looking for another one.

6. yurihuta

yurihuta Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I forgot to mention that BH PhotoVideo and Adorama do have zooms, but their prices seem to be too high.

7. Bennett Brown

Bennett Brown Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Many thanks Paul. I'll check your suggestion out locally. You're right - not much choice. Does the model come with the lens?

Bennett

8. Bennett Brown

Bennett Brown Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you Yurihuta. Paul also referred to the 45-85mm which I'll start looking for in town if not on-line.

Bennett

9. Bennett Brown

Bennett Brown Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You're right: the protection is important. Thanks for the comments and the suggestions.

Bennett

10. Paul.A

Paul.A Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    NO! :smile: You have to find your own.

11. Bennett Brown

Bennett Brown Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pentax 645 80-160 zoom experience

Guys (and dolls):

I'd be interested in anyone's experience(s) wth a Pentax 80-160 manual focus zoom lens for my 645. I typically photograph landscapes (urban, rural), outdoor still life, "textures"....

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Bennett Brown

12. yurihuta

yurihuta Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did own this for a while and used it sparingly. It was a nice lens, but I ultimately opted for the FA 150mm f/2.8 - which is quite lovely. I used it mostly for people photos and I liked the results - so not much help with your question re: still life and landscapes.

With the recent slide in prices of the 80-160 zooms, I could pick up an FA version for less that I sold my A (manual focus) version.