Zorki 4K

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by TPPhotog, Sep 30, 2004.

1. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's one of these in the local rag for £35 and the seller recons it's mint (we may see). I know it's yet another 35mm which isn't really what I'm after but reading the write-ups on the web I'm tempted. Anyone ever played with one of these?

Tony

PS oooops sorry just thought this should be in the rangefinder forum !

2. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hans I would but the link don't work :sad:

Arrrrrrrrrr Got it Thank you Hans photoethnography :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2004
  4. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Been using one since 1975. Built like a tank, nice to handle, easy to use. Not too shabby lens (mine has a 50mm Jupiter 8 lens). I've never bothered sourcing other lenses for it because I've always found the 50mm adequate.

The camera has no metering... I think this is a good thing, no batteries!

Just remember never to change the shutter speed unless the camera is wound on, doing otherwise may damage the mechanism.

5. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry Tony for the spelling error. Must be the Rodinal fumes!

6. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice site! Ms Nakamura has done her homework.

I own several Zorkis, including a couple of the 4K models and they are nice cameras if they have been properly maintained. Of the various FSU rangefinders, for picture taking, I personally prefer the FED 2 types b through d. These FED models have a 61mm rangefinder base. The later FED models (FED 2e, FED3,4 and 5) have the short rangefinder base.

7. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you everyone for your help as always, I'll try to get a look at it tomorrow and see if it lives up to the "mint condition label" and has been maintained as I can't get the person on the 'phone at the moment.

Andy - The thing that does worry me and the same with Fed's is how do I know if the shutter speed has been set in it's lifetime without the camera being wound on? Not too worried about the lack of meter as I have a nice Sekonic.

Hans - That's OK I get the same hic!! you got me in the right direction though :smile:

Tom - It's amazing what I found there as I use to have a Zenit EM and still have a Zenith 11. I've played with a Fed 4c? but agree the earlier ones look better. Hopefully I'll find out if it's been maintained tomorrow as I can't get the person on the 'phone at the moment.

Tony

8. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tony, unfortunately I don't know. I've always made sure not to do it, and my 4K is still in perfect order. All I can do is attach the two pages from my camera's manual which warn against wrong setting the shutter speed. Hope they are of some help.

9. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy, Many thanks for your time and help. I'll take a look at it if it's still there and like checking out any used gear go by what I see and how the person comes accross. Those pages will be very helpful so thank you again. Tony

10. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a quick update here ..... well I somtimes wonder if people really do want to sell things as I haven't been able to get in touch with the seller. After this thread I may look out for a Zorki though. Thank you everyone for your advice :smile:

Now it's the men in white coats time and they will be coming to take me away ......

The friend I get the Picture Posts from collared me today to say he had a Bencini Koroll 24 just come in. Looking on that great Zorki site Hans provided I found the manual for the "S" version.

It's so basic, no meter, takes 120 film 1/2 frame (yippee) has 1/50th of a second or bulb, fixed at F11 and purfect for me made in the 50's. I know .... I know it's a toy .... but it was only the price of a packet of cigarettes and it's so cute. Yep I've got it sitting next to me at home :smile: Inside it's perfect and outside just need a little tlc cleaning.

Now all I need is a 120 spiral and find some times for development :smile: I promise not to use it with the rolls of 120 Tri-X pan I have in the fridge.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2004
  11. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tony, just a quick note, if you do find yourself a 4 or 4K I'll be happy to scan the rest of the manual and mail it to you. Good luck in the search!

12. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy many thanks your very kind :wink: I'm looking down here and I'm going to get a mate to look up on the Glasgow markets, they have more variety up there.

13. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmmmm....I never heard of disadvantages with Rodinal...

14. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Arrrr but did we say that is was a disadvantage Morten? I love breathing those Rodinal moments .... peace and love man hic! LOL :D

15. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah man, develop for the "high" lights, you know...

16. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We don't get stoned of course ... us Rodinals get grained :wink:

17. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mmmm but with acute acutance.

18. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And as sharp as a finely tooled cutting edge.

PS Hans you didn't bite on the point that it's the same thing LOL

19. rjr

rjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Morten,

no one spoke of disadvantages - Rodinal, the mind-enhancing drug of the 21. century!

:cool:

Now I´m gonna smoke a Mommsem....

Tony, at the price you are willing to pay you may get a decent early Zorki4 model from Oleg, serviced and CLA´d... he (www.okvintagecamera.com) has the best fame in the SovRFKam community (which is very avid at http://www.beststuff.com/forum/list.php?f=21).

I prefer the early Zorki4 over a 4k (I have a 3S... beautiful thing) for it´s sturdier built quality and the transport knob, I don´t need a lever wind.

With any Zorkii you´ll get a Jupiter8 lens - those are Sonnar-siblings, deriving from the Contax-Sonnars.

20. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Roman - Many thanks for the info! Just had a quick look on the site and it looks very interesting :smile: ThinkI'll be spending some time there later tonight.

21. rjr

rjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  22. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Roman,

Thank you there's many beauties there :smile: Fun is exactly what I hope to have with a Zorki ... there again those early Feds look very nice.

With the links you and Hans have given me I could be a Russian camera anarak by the end of the year LOL

Tony

23. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  24. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hans goooood point :wink: hic!