Zuiko 24mm

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by baachitraka, Apr 14, 2012.

1. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got this lens on Yesterday and found something strange on the front element. I never experienced with fungus or haze so could not figure out what exactly I saw. Front element has root(cotton fibres) like structure which runs from top to bottom.

The previous owner has told that it has haze, additionally there is dent on filter mount. I do not know whether to keep this lens or sent it back.

2. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cotton fibre-like sounds like one of the forms fungus can take.

I'd definitely send it back, unless you got it very cheaply and feel like removing and cleaning the front element yourself.
    Sometimes fungus cleans up well, sometimes it etches the glass its on...

3. onepuff

onepuff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It sounds very much like fungus. I keep the lens away from any others you have and return it.

4. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have spend EUR 140 and I think I will send it back.

5. Trasselblad

Trasselblad Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For 140€ you can easily pick up a very nice 24mm OM Zuiko. Perhaps not the F2.0 and of course not the F3.5 Shift, but certainly a F2.8. I have one like that and love it. Paid 75 Pound Sterling for it two years ago.

6. onepuff

onepuff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    f2.8

I agree. I too have the f2.8 version and it is usefully smaller and lighter than the f2.0 with little loss in speed. It also performs very well. I find the extra stop of speed is only more useful with portrait lenses to introduce bokeh.

7. berraneck

berraneck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would choose om24/2.8 over om24/2.0, as it´s better in all aspects - sharpness, vignetting, CA, size, weight, price.. :smile: just be sure to pick newer version with MC coating

8. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have owned the 24mm f 2.0 Zuiko for quite some time and I have never seen vignetting. The 24mm f2.8 Zuiko does not have floating element design for close focus correction but the 24mm f2.0 Zuiko does (and so do the other f2.0 Wide Angle Zuikos). The 24mm f2.8 has a simpler eight elements in seven groups construction while the 24mm f2.0 Zuiko has ten elements in eight groups. I would be skeptical that the f2.8 lens is "better in all aspects".

9. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If it looks fibrous, it is growing fungus/mold. John

10. berraneck

berraneck Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don´t doubt that 24/2 is a nice lens, but from my experience the late 24/2.8 is simply better.

11. philosomatographer

philosomatographer Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I respect your personal experience, but all evidence (including many others' experience, and my own) suggest that they perform on par with each other. The OM 24/2.0 cost almost double what the 24/2.8 did, and uses a much more advanced optical design - there is no way it's going to actually underperform the 24/2.8.

12. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually there are many cases of expensive faster lenses underperforming slower and simpler lenses at equal apertures (it's really the usual behaviour, with notable exceptions of course).

Though faster lenses always do outperform slower ones at the apertures the slower ones don't have... :wink:

13. HBOC

HBOC Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had both the 24mm 2,0 and 2,8 and really there is not a whole lot of difference IQ wise. The 2.0 is a little bigger and has a sliding hood (I believe), but if you don't need 2.0, the 2.8 is a bit cheaper and smaller! I ended up selling 2.8 when i picked up the Tokina 17mm 3.5 RMC lens :smile: