Chris I am interested as well, when are you planning on doing this?
Anikin, I will start a list and you will be the first person on there, with Bob in tow.
I can't honestly say when this will all go down, but ideally within a month or two? I guess it depends on a number of things though.
The supplier has recommended that before any sort of large-ish order is placed, that a sample of the material be tested. I think this is a good idea considering that the sensitizer can deteriorate and that this stock might be a bit older. However, as a stock of 15 year old UltraStable attests to, this stuff doesn't deteriorate that quickly.
The problem is, I'm currently in no position to conduct tests; all my stuff is in boxes. After October 3rd I might be; I'll be in Rochester then. But in the meantime, if someone could take it upon themselves to conduct a series of tests, that would be awesome. Any volunteers?
Ok, a few more thoughts here. As Greg points out, most people would probably find 100g to be a good amount for starting out. Repackaging X number of kilograms (optimistically, 2-3kg I'd say) into 100g containers is no trivial effort. You need to have accurate weighing, appropriate containers and not to mention, safe handling practices.
I'd be more than happy to do this (the facilities at GEH would make it easier), but there would be some costs for packaging and time. Nothing exorbitant, and I'd keep the whole process very transparent, but it'd raise the price ever so slightly.
2nd option would be to see if Photo Formulary would be interested in buying a large quantity and taking care of the repackaging and distribution. This would have a host of benefits obviously, but would also raise the price to some extent and I don't know what it would mean for international shipping.
The 2nd option is theoretical at this point, but I do get the impression that Bud might accommodate this.
Last point worth mentioning, this chemical is considered non-hazardous by DOT standards, so we need to see what this means for international shipping. I think Europe in particular will love the diazo idea since dichromates are so hard to get a hold of, and I'd love to be able to send it across the pond for anyone interested.
The bigger question, I think, is whether there will even be another production run, or will we just keep buying from the same batch until it is exhausted, and then be out of luck. Given Secant's current pricing, I'd have to imagine that even a scaled-down production run would have a pricing advantage over TCI, if it happens.
With all that being said, some might think I'm opposed to the idea of a group purchase. Not at all. I started this thread after all, and was just starting to think about re-starting my experimentation with this material when holmburgers popped up with this idea. I just want to make sure everyone understands the possible pros and cons.
Anyone out there have thoughts on what a battery of incoming acceptance tests might be for this material? I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear what others think, first.
NOTE to CMB: Charles, do you know where Tod Gangler gets his sensitizer from? Hopefully, I'll get a chance to meet him and ask him in person in a couple of weeks, but if you knew now, that might be helpful.
In 2004, Tod and John Bently had Seacant manufacture a special run of the Hardnener #3 (lot #040412). They are both using that material today with no problem. My guess is that the 60kg is the remainder of that run.
Tod has offered to test the sample that Secant sends.
Interesting...the sample Secant sent me last August (2011), was from lot # 031202. The assay report was dated December 2008. It seems the stuff I got was 4 months older (December 2003 vs. April 2004, if I'm reading the lot #'s correctly) than Tod and John's lot.
I hadn't paid attention to that when I got the sample. In the limited testing I got to do before I got too busy with other things, it certainly seemed to work fine.
I'm interested as well if it can be shipped internationally (Switzerland). Count me in for at least 100g (maybe even more).
At the $180.00 per kg. (plus some shipping and handling) I would buy 1kg. Shipping to Canada by USPS Priority Mail International would be no problem.
Fort Smith, NT
ps Congrats and good luck with your time in Rochester.
I put a thread on the Yahoo! Carbon Transfer group and have already got a number of emails from interested people. So far this is going very well!
Charles, Tod's offer to test the Secant sample is incredibly generous (not to mention you going out of your way to mention it to him), and I don't think I'm alone in saying that there's no person I'd feel more comfortable with doing the testing. Please give him a big THANKS! Unless I hear protest from others, I say let's go for that.
Would it be best if Secant sent the sample direct to Seattle? If I need to reach out to Tod, or something, just let me know, or if you have an address you can give me that'd be great.
It's also comforting to know that the material is most likely in good shape. Interesting about your sample Greg; I guess this stuff is even fresher then.
Miika, I'll put you on the list and note that you're in Switzerland. I'd really like to make this work for international buyers as well, so hopefully we can accomodate you and others.
p.s. Got you on the list Clarence, and thanks!
I would also like to take part in this purchase. Please include me on the list for 200 grams.
Marek from Poland
I suggest you contact Tod directly and work out the details with him. He can be found at:
Art & Soul
2860 NW Market St
Seattle, WA 98107
Greg: Tod is looking forward to meeting you at alt-photo pacifica.