PDA

View Full Version : Uncoated Baryta paper, Special order being placed

Pages : 1 2 [3]

mat4226
05-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Same as Greg's post above, I got my Formulary Baryta box of 100, 11x14 sheets last week. After making a few carbon prints over the weekend, I can confirm that this paper is just as good, if not better, for carbon transfer. I highly recommend for anybody looking for a pre-sized, glossy fiber paper to work with.

gmikol
05-16-2012, 10:31 PM
That's my plan for it, as well, but it will still be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to use it. Feeling the surface, I had a little concern about pigment staining (a problem I've had with some other papers), and about a gloss differential between the gelatin and the base. What was your experience with that?

--Greg

mat4226
05-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Funny you should mention pigment stain, as I noticed a few key differences b/t the baryta and normal fixed out photo paper.

1. Baryta doesn't seem to stain from the dichromate as badly as fixed out paper.
2. The pigment imparts a weak "base" stain around the safe edge of the image. Attempting to remove said stain resulted in removal of the barium sulfate layer, revealing a much flatter paper surface.
3. The gloss of the paper works well with gelatin mixes that have a matte black finish as opposed to a glossy finish. I always try to incorporate this balance as it highlights the relief in the final print.