PDA

View Full Version : Revitalised POSTCARD EXCHANGE Group

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Nige
12-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Kevin, it does open ones eyes. I've received so many little prints (postcards) that I'd never have thought of or seen without the exchange. Definetly opens ones mind to a world of possibilites. It's a good way to improve your printing as you want to be consistent (well I do) and decent, knowing your audience is a bunch of other photog's who'll be examining the postcards pretty closely. It's also pretty hard to print that small, makes 8x10s a breeze in the burning and dodging stakes! I've been pretty conservative (subjects) in the cards I have sent, probably time to time to send some that are more adventurous, a reflection what I generally photograph... I might have to write on it 'this way up' :)

Aggie
12-19-2004, 05:13 PM
With Ilford discontinuing the postcard stock paper, I checked out a few things as replacements. They also sell 4x6 inch RC paper. This is just 1/4" larger on each side than the present postcards. I can check to see how much a stamp would be to stamp the backs ourselves to make them look like postcards.

The other thing that is a possibility is to ask J&C if they could find a supplier of postcard stock for us. They have always listened to us, and tried to find us suppliers.

BTW, tomtom and I were out to lunch on Wednesday when my batch was put in the mailbox, by her. So all should be shortly receiving mine.

I love getting all the postcards. My mail lady has asked so many questions about them. She has a handicapped son, who she wants to get started in photography. She thinks the postcards would be an excellent way for him to send little bits of his work to friends and family. So you never know who you will influence by sending out those cards.

BWGirl
12-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Hm....maybe some of us could send him postcards??? What do you think?

(BTW - I am loving getting all these postcards! I've already started a photo album for them! :D )

Jim Moore
12-19-2004, 09:24 PM
Hm....maybe some of us could send him postcards??? What do you think?

I was thinking the same thing. Aggie if you could get his address and PM it to those of us interested that would be great!

I've received about 1/2 doz so far and they are beautiful. I can't wait to see the rest.

Jim

Nige
12-20-2004, 05:28 AM
I'll be in that too (the postcard to the mail ladies son.. send us his name too and we can personalise them)

kwmullet
12-20-2004, 08:06 AM
PM the address to me and I'll add him as well. Mine haven't gone out yet.

Bruce Osgood
12-20-2004, 08:26 AM
I would like to do that too.

Ole
12-20-2004, 08:34 AM
PM the address to me and I'll add him as well. Mine haven't gone out yet.
Same here.

rbarker
12-20-2004, 08:49 AM
I thought all you post-card proliferators might be interested in these "alternative process" postcards:

http://www.rbarkerphoto.com/misc/Misc-Stuff/LeatherPCardBasket1905-7-550c.jpg

While not photographic, these leather postcards dating from the 1905-1908 period were exchanged between my grandmother and her friends. The "image" sides are mostly hand-painted or inked scenes done by the exchange participants on the (apparently) commercially-available leather card stock.

Dave Miller
12-20-2004, 02:39 PM
With Ilford discontinuing the postcard stock paper, I checked out a few things as replacements. They also sell 4x6 inch RC paper. This is just 1/4" larger on each side than the present postcards. I can check to see how much a stamp would be to stamp the backs ourselves to make them look like postcards.

As someone outside of this group, but one who will shortly ask to join in, I have been wondering about a replacement paper. I think the 4x6 paper you refer to may be too thin for the rigors of the postal system. I once saw advertised self-adhesive labels of that size which were printed with the postcard markings. They had the claimed additional advantage of stiffening the paper as well as accepting writing ink better than R/C paper does. Has anyone else come across these?

David A. Goldfarb
12-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Those are beautiful, Ralph.

Dave--There was someone in the group (from California?) using those adhesive labels with FB paper, and they worked quite well. I think Lee may have also used them on one round.

I've already printed my current ones (haven't sent them yet) on the Ilford stock, and I've got one box of postcard stock left, but when I run out, I thought I might try some Azo prints printed 4 to a sheet, drymounted to 2-ply, and then cut in 4. To make it into a postcard, you just need to draw a black line on the back to separate the address/stamp area from the letter area.

kwmullet
12-20-2004, 05:40 PM
I don't know about the requirements outside the US, but when I go on a road trip, I shoot Polaroid type 54 in the graflex, draw a line down the middle of the back, address, stamp and write a note on it and drop it in the next mailbox I encounter. They've always made it back to me, and make for a good trip log.

This, my first, round of postcards, I'll be printing on Ilford MG IV FB and dry-mounting them to Green Field Paper Co. Premium Hemp Paper (70lb/100GSM/Acid-Free). I anticipate the combination will be a bit more rigid than ordinary off the shelf postcards. (Green Field's site is at www.greenfieldpaper.com, but I don't see the paper I bought from Voertman's in Denton (N Tx US)).

We'll see. If you never hear from me again, it'll be because I broke some law sending hemp across the border. :)

Oh -- I did have an idea that I'd like to wax the postcards, but so far, I haven't found a local walk-up source for the wax (see another current thread).

-KwM-

John McCallum
12-20-2004, 05:44 PM
....make it into a postcard, you just need to draw a black line on the back to separate the address/stamp area from the letter area.That's all I did for this round David. I'm sure they look a little rough when reading the back, hopefully that won't detract from the photo.
Unfortunately, though I've spent quite some time looking, none of the retailers here appear to know about the postcard photo paper.

Aggie
12-20-2004, 06:07 PM
David it was Scott/fingel that had the sticky backing postcard stuff. I have some too. We got it at B&H. just do a search on their website about postcards. Thing is they are expensive. For what they want, you can get some contact paper and adhere to the back, trim it and then write on it. A whole lot cheaper. BTW the satin?pearl coat on postcards holds up better than the glossy. Glossy looks much better, but scratches easily in transit.

Nige
12-21-2004, 03:08 AM
I thought all you post-card proliferators might be interested in these "alternative process" postcards:

..image snipped..

While not photographic, these leather postcards dating from the 1905-1908 period were exchanged between my grandmother and her friends. The "image" sides are mostly hand-painted or inked scenes done by the exchange participants on the (apparently) commercially-available leather card stock.

Thanks for posting this, very interesting! My mother has a collection of postcards from a similar period but no leather ones. Some of hers are actually correspondence from family members at war (WW1). I've only had a quick browse but want to investigate more one day.

fotobob
12-21-2004, 05:57 AM
Post Cards can be made with a rubber stamp and quick drying ink. Both can be purchased from Porters Camera Store in the U.S. They have a BUNCH of items that are unique. BTW they also carry the sticky back labels in case that it the way you would rather go. Their web address is:
www.porters.com
Nige, I hope that you received my card by now. I was amazed at the speed of delivery from "down Under" Three days! I hope that our postal system does as well.
Cards are arriving every day now. It is a great feeling to receive them from what could be a long relationship with folks that have the same interests

Bob F.
12-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Of course, you could always print the postcard details on the back using an inkjet printer. I wonder which side of the postcard would fade away first.... ;)

BTW, I wonder if the people who have not received the number they were expecting have had them trousered by a postal worker along the way? Might be an idea to email or PM the intended recipients when you send them out?

Hope to join in the next round...

Cheers, Bob.

kwmullet
12-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Thing brings to mind a barely on-topic thought.

For the reverse of the postcards, I'm actually thinking pencil would be the most archival means of writing. Ink tends to wick outward over time, and if it gets wet it runs. Inkjet would probably be like ink. Laserprinter toner would probably flake off.

What're y'all's thoughts on this?

I personally would like to shoot for my postcards showing up in an antique mall a hundred years from now.

-KwM-

John McCallum
12-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Thing brings to mind a barely on-topic thought.

For the reverse of the postcards, I'm actually thinking pencil would be the most archival means of writing. Ink tends to wick outward over time, and if it gets wet it runs. Inkjet would probably be like ink. Laserprinter toner would probably flake off.

What're y'all's thoughts on this?

I personally would like to shoot for my postcards showing up in an antique mall a hundred years from now.

-KwM-Good idea. Recently I bought a couple of Wolff's Carbon pencils from the local art shop. They're made with very dark graphite that won't rub off easily (even with an eraser). I think they'd work well for the postcards.

c6h6o3
12-21-2004, 08:00 PM
The rest must be in the post or still in the developing tray I guess! I imagine some will arrive in January due to schedules and the overworked postal systems.
Mine are all in the mail. They're dry mounted onto Strathmore 140# Cold Press Watercolor postcard stock. I've had some trouble with the pictures coming unstuck, so if you get a postcard without an image, lemme know. I figured that no matter what we do the postcards take some effort, so I might as well make the best print I can, which means on Azo.

I must say that I was amazed at how good a print Aggie managed to extract from that godawful Ilford postcard stock. I've never gotten anything even approaching that kind of scale with it. Was it developed in Dektol?